Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nils Lofgren "Acoustic Live" SACD.

Holy cr*p! Lofgren on "Keith Don't Go" is phenomenal. I've never heard a sound more beautiful and vibrant than his guitar work here. Vocals are good too. Very impressive live recording.

Run as fast as you can, don't walk. Get this if you like acoustic guitar. :worthy:worthy:worthy

Even more amazing: Acoustic Live is from a 16 bit PCM master and really does sound 'killer!'

Donovan Storyteller on Hybrid Stereo SACD from Audio Fidelity.
An excellent collection of Donovan's Greatest Hits with a bonus track by Buffy Sainte-Marie.

Now out of print. But worth finding.
Recommended!

View attachment 30447

https://audiofidelity.net/product/donovan-storyteller-sacd
https://www.amazon.com/Storyteller-Donovan/dp/B0000DD76Q
I was a little late to the SACD party but when i joined (beginning of the millennium) I managed to get hold on new copies at ordinary prices for three Audio Fidelity SACDs that all are absolutely stellar in sound quality. The Donovan + the Searchers and the Zombies collections. You need to hear them to understand how good they sound...

Nils Lofgren "Acoustic Live" SACD.

Holy cr*p! Lofgren on "Keith Don't Go" is phenomenal. I've never heard a sound more beautiful and vibrant than his guitar work here. Vocals are good too. Very impressive live recording.

Run as fast as you can, don't walk. Get this if you like acoustic guitar. :worthy:worthy:worthy

I did not know that this one was out on SACD. I have it on CD and it is so good sounding that I have no need for listening to the SACD. Especially since I think that the songs themselves do not live up to the sound quality, though I agree that Keith Don't Go is absolutely killer and so is also Mud In Your Eye. The final song No Mercy is an old favorite of mine but I think that this live version is not making the song justice.

I did not know that this one was out on SACD. I have it on CD and it is so good sounding that I have no need for listening to the SACD. Especially since I think that the songs themselves do not live up to the sound quality, though I agree that Keith Don't Go is absolutely killer and so is also Mud In Your Eye. The final song No Mercy is an old favorite of mine but I think that this live version is not making the song justice.

I don't have the RBCD of this disc [Acoustic Live] for comparison but one thing I CAN say about AP's SACD remaster: On my system it sounds superb and I even commented that it WAS from a 16 bit PCM master. For comparison, I also purchased AP's SACD remaster of The Cowboy Junkies which was also from a 16 bit PCM master and it sounds SIGNIFICANTLY better than the already excellent sounding original RCA RBCD.

In other words, I don't think Analogue Productions would tackle 16 bit PCM material unless they felt they could significantly IMPROVE the sound and keep in mind, the limitations of the Redbook CD [brickwall filtering, etc] have, IMO, been overcome with AP's superior SACD remastering.

Sony's 1st DSD recording, Young at Heart by the Tony Williams Trio, is still a Jazz instrumental classic.
Always a treat to listen to this Stereo SACD from Sony Japan recorded in 1999.

Surprisingly it's still in print and available for purchase from CD Japan for $32.46.
Highly recommended.

Cover.jpg

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SRGS-4516

Wow! I don't know how 10 fingers and one guitar can be made to sound like 30 fingers and 3 guitars, but Leo Kottke can do it. This is EXTRAORDINARY guitar playing from early in his career. I just spent the last 5 hours playing it over and over...I can't get enough of it. This guy can show Pepe Romero how to play geee-tar. Absolutely f'ing amazing!!!

Attachments

• f389d6962da341a0c181eed0a1be9e37.jpg
    f389d6962da341a0c181eed0a1be9e37.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 190
Todd Rundgren: Something/Anything and A Wizard A True Star Stereo SACD [both from ImportCD]. Will comment when I have the time to fully assess. In MoFi Style mini replica LP Gatefolds.

Never knew that one existed...how does it sound?

Really excellent in SACD Stereo and Stereo DSD Download.

XUNI26125D64__101205__11102014015230-8611.jpg

Original Recordings Produced by Lou Adler, Bumps Blackwell, Sam Cooke, Hugo & Luigi, Art Rupe, Al Schmitt

Restoration Producers: Jody H. Klein & Teri Landi
Mastering: Bob Ludwig (Gateway Mastering, Portland, ME)
Analog to Digital Transfers: Teri Landi (ABKCO) & Rick Essig (The Master Cutting Room, NYC)
Sound Restoration & Archive Coordinator: Steve Rosenthal (The Magic Shop, NYC)
DSD Engineer: Gus Skinas

The greatest single-disc Sam Cooke collection ever, 30 tracks in SUPER HI-REZ sound! Includes "You Send Me;" "Chain Gang;" "Twistin' the Night Away;" "Shake;" "Little Red Rooster;" "Good Times;" "(What a) Wonderful World;" "Another Saturday Night;" "Cupid;" "Only Sixteen;" "A Change Is Gonna Come;" "Having a Party," and more career highlights. Indispensable!

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/1..._1951-1964-DSD_Single_Rate_28MHz64fs_Download
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/1174

Doobie Brothers-Toulouse Street MOFI SACD

I had forgotten how good this album was(y)

It's got a great quad for the most part- one thing I always found odd about it is that all the drums are pushed into one of the front channels.

One of the toughest pills to swallow for people experiencing quad for the first time today is the often experimental treatment of the drums- sometimes they're stereo, sometimes they're not. Sometimes they're front, Sometimes they're rear, and I've seen sidewall placements too. Funky stuff.

Back