Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (with 5.1 surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still thinking about buying this boxset but I'm not really in a financial position to buy it as yet. Also, I've been hearing how the vinyl version is more dynamic than the CD - and the Bluray too?! That just baffles me why the Bluray couldn't at least have the same transfer as the vinyl. Surely the Bluray transfer must be better than the CD as well?

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

I've been hearing how the vinyl version is more dynamic than the CD - and the Bluray too?! That just baffles me why the Bluray couldn't at least have the same transfer as the vinyl. Surely the Bluray transfer must be better than the CD as well?

The Vinyl LP edition could have a warmer sound due to the analog properties of the LP format.
On the other hand, a digital format like CD, SACD or BluRay, will have more dynamic range due to the limitations of the LP format.

How that works out in the final release is up to the mastering of each edition of the album.

The Vinyl LP edition could have a warmer sound due to the analog properties of the LP format.
On the other hand, a digital format like CD, SACD or BluRay, will have more dynamic range due to the limitations of the LP format.

How that works out in the final release is up to the mastering of each edition of the album.
It's not necessarily the subject of the warmer sound per se - it's actually that I'm hearing the loudness and the compression is not even present on the LP...

This is even better than the miss-authored Dolby True HD 6.1 track on the BD.

Was there a post about the Dolby True HD track being miss-authored? I went back a dozen or so pages but didn't see anything (may have overlooked it). Bitstreaming the blu-ray from my Oppo BDP-95 to my Marantz SR-7009 and going into the Marantz audio info screen shows Dolby TrueHD 3/3/.1 96kHz, Flag = MATRIX while the DTS-MA shows 3/2/.1 96kHz. I understnad this means the center-rear channel is not discreet but matrixed from the surround left + right signal. I was surprised that the DTS-MA and TrueHD tracks were not identically configured.

My Oppo BDP-95 info screen shows 5.1 when I play either the DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD tracks, which is slightly different.

If Giles really intended the TrueHD track to have a center-rear then I'll probably have to find a 6th speaker to add.

Last edited:
I'm still thinking about buying this boxset but I'm not really in a financial position to buy it as yet. Also, I've been hearing how the vinyl version is more dynamic than the CD - and the Bluray too?! That just baffles me why the Bluray couldn't at least have the same transfer as the vinyl. Surely the Bluray transfer must be better than the CD as well?

ImportCD is selling the boxset now for $101 plus s/h with their current 10% off sale [until June 16th]. The BD~A sounds amazing on my system but I only have the 24/44.1 bit USB stick and the LOVE album to compare it with. It's VERY dynamic and I haven't even boosted the rears yet [will try that out later].

http://www.importcds.com/sgt-peppers-lonely-hearts-club-band/602557455328

Another Peppers rarity, from Peru. No back picture, lyrics retyped.

Attachments

• Pepper's Peru.jpg
    Pepper's Peru.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 544
Just ripped the mono album from cd and the right channel is slightly louder than the left. Anyone else notice this?

Just ripped the mono album from cd and the right channel is slightly louder than the left. Anyone else notice this?
No, I have not had that issue, but my only listen was from the disc, not ripped like what you did.
Different subject:
After a couple of years acquiring a fair amount of Mono discs I have come to the conclusion they are best when listening via headphones. When I listen sitting in my spot looking at the right and left speaker my brain wants to trick me and I start hearing false stereo. I have also concluded that music I grew up on always sounds better in the stereo versions except I do hear different depth return, with Mono. I do like old jazz music in Mono.

No, I have not had that issue, but my only listen was from the disc, not ripped like what you did.
Different subject:
After a couple of years acquiring a fair amount of Mono discs I have come to the conclusion they are best when listening via headphones. When I listen sitting in my spot looking at the right and left speaker my brain wants to trick me and I start hearing false stereo. I have also concluded that music I grew up on always sounds better in the stereo versions except I do hear different depth return, with Mono. I do like old jazz music in Mono.

Psychoacoustics...same way, if you listen to double stereo....

Poor mastering job if that is the case, but easy to fix with any audio editing program. I always found it useful when ripping mono vinyl records to record to stereo and then convert to a mono wave file, then for comparability (i.e. burning to CD) convert back to stereo, the mono stereo tracks are then perfectly balanced. I don't have a copy of this myself. the high price has put me off for now at least.

Psychoacoustics...same way, if you listen to double stereo....

IMHO Mono can be enjoyed through any number of speakers, even mismatched ones. The mix stays perfect no mater what, no sweet spot! Back in the day I liked to hook up extra speakers to the mono AM table radio, a sort of fake stereo especially if wired out of phase!

Just found the super deluxe used, very good condition, fulfilled by Amazon US, for $65 shipped!
I ought to be able to keep the BD and recover a lot of the cost by reselling!(y):)(y)

Thanks for the heads-up! I just did the same. Apparently they had more than 1!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Email says this is arriving by 8pm tonight! I hope it is the real deal...

I️ already received mine. It was practically in brand-new shape. While there was no shrink wrap on the outer box, both the book and the album cover containing the discs had the original shrink wrap on it. In other words, it had never been played.

Amazon Warehouse Deals is still showing this in stock at that heavily reduced price, so for anyone out there that was on the fence because of the list price, now is the chance to get it at a tremendous bargain price, practically new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back