Art Garfunkel & Lynn Anderson in SACD Surround (Jan 2018)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh jeez, I still haven't ordered any from Nov/Dec yet. So, if I only get one of the Art's, which do I go for? I don't know these albums at all.

Finally got around to listening to Hugo's Wonderland/Diamonds. That was fun.

Really excited that these are finally coming out! I spent most of the end of last year working on the liner notes for the two Garfunkel titles and they were the most challenging assignments I've had to date - I hope the effort is reflected in the end product. The Simon & Garfunkel story is probably one of the most told and re-told music stories of the last 50 years so I did my best to try and find some fresh perspective on it, but also not to spend too much time on it as these albums are really about Art's first forays as a solo artist. I also did my best to have as little overlap between the liner notes for the two albums, so you get an interesting, unique story for each one, including information about their recording along with discussion about the musicians involved and of course the quad mixes.

Both of these albums should be real demo material on SACD. Angel Clare was (as far as I can tell) one of the first albums recorded using two 16-track 2-inch tape machines synced together. I found an interview with Roy Halee where he discussed the recording, and said he could have used two 24-track 2-inch machines, but that the extra headroom on the 16-track machines resulted in a better sounding recording. The quad masters for this album are 30ips and from what I understand sound phenomenal.

Breakaway is also a really interesting quad mix, which I think has been discussed before on QQ. Producer Richard Perry and engineer Bill Schnee did most of their quad mixing in CD-4 (Carly Simon etc.) so they were used to being able to have things like vocals in 'quad center', ie coming out of all four speakers. Obviously you can't do this with SQ due to the 'no common content in the rear speakers' limitation, so the workaround is to have things panned diagonally, ie in the front right and rear left, or front left and rear right. As a result, Breakaway has more diagonal pans than any 'mixed for SQ' release that I know of - almost every track features one, and some of the tracks have pans on both diagonal axes. Mike Dutton also has something of a personal connection to this album - Benny Gallagher's (one of the co-writers of the title track) son runs D-V's classical mobile recording unit.

I've also seen the artwork proofs for both of these albums and they look fantastic - if the printed versions come out looking as nice, these could be the new benchmark for quality from D-V.

I also wrote the (somewhat shorter) liner notes for the Lynn Anderson 2fer, and I know country music isn't to everyone's taste but I hope people will give this one a chance as well. It's worth noting as well that the two tracks from Rose Garden (Rose Garden and Nothing Between Us) that appear on Greatest Hits are different mixes - Charlie Bragg did the quad mix of the original Rose Garden album, and then Lou Bradley re-mixed them for the Greatest Hits album a year later. As far as I know these are both the first quad mixes from CBS' Nashville studio to see modern digital release, and the first Columbia or Epic country title to share the same distinction.

All these new SACDs are in stock as of today so they should start shipping immediately. To paraphrase what they say about voting in Chicago, "order early, order often!"

Holy fuck, Dutton Vocalion has already started to become one of my absolute favourite labels and this is another step up!

I also wanted to add some advertising materials that I collected for Angel Clare and Breakaway during my research for the album. Not sure if they're of huge interest but I love seeing this kind of stuff and hope other people do too.

Angel Clare album ad from Rolling Stone, Sept/Oct. 1973
cFs6XXw.jpg

'All I Know' single announcement - Billboard Sept. 1, 1973
6CHFUzX.jpg

'I Shall Sing' single announcement - Billboard Dec. 29, 1973
HTYKGBv.jpg

'Traveling Boy' single announcement - Billboard April 6, 1974
ffOPQ7m.jpg

Breakaway album ad from Billboard, Oct. 11, 1975
dchBITz.jpg

Simon & Garfunkel 'My Little Town' single announcement - Cashbox Oct. 25, 1975
Kq3jgAp.jpg

'Break Away' single announcement - Cashbox Dec. 20, 1975
LzpJ3k3.jpg

Really excited that these are finally coming out! I spent most of the end of last year working on the liner notes for the two Garfunkel titles and they were the most challenging assignments I've had to date - I hope the effort is reflected in the end product. The Simon & Garfunkel story is probably one of the most told and re-told music stories of the last 50 years so I did my best to try and find some fresh perspective on it, but also not to spend too much time on it as these albums are really about Art's first forays as a solo artist. I also did my best to have as little overlap between the liner notes for the two albums, so you get an interesting, unique story for each one, including information about their recording along with discussion about the musicians involved and of course the quad mixes.

Both of these albums should be real demo material on SACD. Angel Clare was (as far as I can tell) one of the first albums recorded using two 16-track 2-inch tape machines synced together. I found an interview with Roy Halee where he discussed the recording, and said he could have used two 24-track 2-inch machines, but that the extra headroom on the 16-track machines resulted in a better sounding recording. The quad masters for this album are 30ips and from what I understand sound phenomenal.

Breakaway is also a really interesting quad mix, which I think has been discussed before on QQ. Producer Richard Perry and engineer Bill Schnee did most of their quad mixing in CD-4 (Carly Simon etc.) so they were used to being able to have things like vocals in 'quad center', ie coming out of all four speakers. Obviously you can't do this with SQ due to the 'no common content in the rear speakers' limitation, so the workaround is to have things panned diagonally, ie in the front right and rear left, or front left and rear right. As a result, Breakaway has more diagonal pans than any 'mixed for SQ' release that I know of - almost every track features one, and some of the tracks have pans on both diagonal axes. Mike Dutton also has something of a personal connection to this album - Benny Gallagher's (one of the co-writers of the title track) son runs D-V's classical mobile recording unit.

I've also seen the artwork proofs for both of these albums and they look fantastic - if the printed versions come out looking as nice, these could be the new benchmark for quality from D-V.

I also wrote the (somewhat shorter) liner notes for the Lynn Anderson 2fer, and I know country music isn't to everyone's taste but I hope people will give this one a chance as well. It's worth noting as well that the two tracks from Rose Garden (Rose Garden and Nothing Between Us) that appear on Greatest Hits are different mixes - Charlie Bragg did the quad mix of the original Rose Garden album, and then Lou Bradley re-mixed them for the Greatest Hits album a year later. As far as I know these are both the first quad mixes from CBS' Nashville studio to see modern digital release, and the first Columbia or Epic country title to share the same distinction.

All these new SACDs are in stock as of today so they should start shipping immediately. To paraphrase what they say about voting in Chicago, "order early, order often!"

As a general rule I don't like country music...but if country fans become aware of this release...it would be a good deal for Dutton...country music fans are extremely loyal and they support the music and are willing to spend.....maybe some will see this offering on amazon and be curious...I hope so because Dutton is doing some great things for us...I hope it can continue:)

Really excited that these are finally coming out! I spent most of the end of last year working on the liner notes for the two Garfunkel titles and they were the most challenging assignments I've had to date - I hope the effort is reflected in the end product.

Wow- I never could have kept this to myself, so kudos on that. Must be fun knowing what's in the pipeline...

I think everyone here appreciates the fine work you do on the liner notes. I confess I don't usually look at CD booklets (I put all my SACDs in a massive changer and file the cases away elsewhere), but whenever I get a DV SACD I make sure to keep the booklet around when I'm listening.

I'm the same with Country not a fan but I like Bluegrass and the Country Rock of the Eagles, Pure Prairie League, Poco etc. I remember the Lyn Anderson single "Rose Garden" because it was in the Top 10 here in the UK sometime during 1970-71, I just realised I know most of the words. Now I can't get the song out of my head! As you say this DV release opens up fans of the genre to getting some good Quad, so I hope it does well.

As a general rule I don't like country music...but if country fans become aware of this release...it would be a good deal for Dutton...country music fans are extremely loyal and they support the music and are willing to spend.....maybe some will see this offering on amazon and be curious...I hope so because Dutton is doing some great things for us...I hope it can continue:)

OH... MY.. GOODNESS.....!!!!!!!!!! :woopie :wave

uncharacteristically speechless :yikes

will comment when i've got over the shock..!!! :violin

these are two very different mixes and albums but both exceptional Quads imho..!!! :nuke

Dutton Vocalion you've done it again..!!! :worthy

Adam, I think we have the same "SPEECHLESS" Writer.

Have been campaigning for these two Garfunkel releases for decades. Two brilliant QUADEUPHORIC releases.

Even the Lynn Anderson is A~OK in my book.

Dutton Vocalion.......You've done it AGAIN. MANY THANKS
:banana::banana::banana::banana: [if the bananas freeze, it's due to the below 0 temps we are currently experiencing in New York].

Addenda: Just ordered all three new releases. Cannot wait!

As always, Dave, many, many thanks for your participation in this endeavor. You're an invaluable assistant to Michael Dutton and his foray into QUADRAPHONIC SACD releases. Some great background info and I look forward to all three D~V January releases.

NEVER thought D~V could/would pull these releases off [most especially the two Garfunkel QUADs] at such a NICE price point and even the Lynn Anderson 'classic' is most welcomed, especially as part of a two~fer.

I still scratch my head at how expeditiously Michael Dutton releases these QUAD reissues while maintaining such absolutely incredible quality control. I listened to the Hugo Montenegro/Mancini/Conniff/Severinsen two~fers last night and such perfection in the mastering from these 50 year old master tapes. Hearing Mancini's Symphonic Soul from pristine masters for the first time in QUAD was indeed a revelation and a delight.

I only hope sales are brisk and D~V can continue to release these treasures.

Looking forward to your liner notes on all three new releases, Dave. I know they'll be special.

Last edited:
I'm pretty fired up about all 3 of these. Of course, the 2 from Art will be awesome, but I also love the Lynn Anderson album. Why? My dad used to own the album way back in the day and I remember listening to it as a youngster...brings back wonderful memories...only now I get to hear it in Quad.

Woo-hoo! Amazing.....and very exciting.

I'm pretty fired up about all 3 of these. Of course, the 2 from Art will be awesome, but I also love the Lynn Anderson album. Why? My dad used to own the album way back in the day and I remember listening to it as a youngster...brings back wonderful memories...only now I get to hear it in Quad.

Woo-hoo! Amazing.....and very exciting.

I always knew you were a Rhinestone Cowboy at heart, Gene.

Am also looking forward to hearing some Nashville Sounds, as well.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...DCF41DE50CFC3FD7A939DCF41DE50CFC&&FORM=VDRVRV LOVE the BIG Hair! :yikes

All three ordered and threw in symphonic soul also. Thank you Dutton Vocalion.
At this rate I'll be able to get rid of all my quad records by the end of next year.... :)

Breakaway was certified platinum and that no doubt was helped by having a real Simon and Garfunkel track included on the album.

Musician credits show a staggering amount of talent involved in the backing.

Good to hear that the quad master is recorded at 30ips, should be one of those very special titles that makes you seriously wonder why it sat unissued in the modern age in surround. Like why didn't Sony do this one on SACD 15 years ago?

I'll order both Artes but wish we could have Waylon's two RCA quads about now. Maybe Lynn Anderson's SACDs are pointing the direction of the country quads in the Sony library. Maybe it is just a matter of waiting a little while longer?

Last edited:
OMG! I didn't realize that the song My Little Town was included on Breakaway. whoa.....one of my favorite Simon/Garfunkel songs. :yikes

Back