HiRez Poll Steely Dan - EVERYTHING MUST GO [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Steely Dan - EVERYTHING MUST GO

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
The last Steely Dan release, follow up to their comeback album "Two Against Nature".

R-1865258-1359331961-2109.jpeg.jpg

R-1865258-1295978000.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not one that I regularly yearn to play but when I do play it, the sound and mix is amazing. To me, this is one of the benchmarks for surround sonics, punch, instrument placement, and clarity

I would rate this disc as a 9, very good music and a very good surround mix, just not quite great. Nice to have new songs by an old favorite. But what the heck happened to the surround mixes of their old stuff. I was ready to buy them all until they dissapeared from any coming soon list??? I even forwarned the wife that when they were released we would be quite broke that month, cause i was buying every last one of them. Anyway great new disc.

I really love this band and would consider them one of my biggest favorites. The sound and mix is outstanding but the musical content just didn't have the magic that their previous albums had. I gave it a "6".

QR-GUY said:
I really love this band and would consider them one of my biggest favorites. The sound and mix is outstanding but the musical content just didn't have the magic that their previous albums had. I gave it a "6".
It's funny, but when I first got this disc, I still liked Two Against Nature better, but now I MUCH prefer this one. The title track, to me, is killer. Just goes to show how different things can be perceived by different folks. ;)

JonUrban said:
It's funny, but when I first got this disc, I still liked Two Against Nature better, but now I MUCH prefer this one. The title track, to me, is killer. Just goes to show how different things can be perceived by different folks. ;)
And it must sound GREAT in that TL! :D

As much as I love having the lyrics, I hate these discs that do not change the lyric pages. Queen and the Beach Boys discs do so why not all of them?

bobou2 said:
As much as I love having the lyrics, I hate these discs that do not change the lyric pages. Queen and the Beach Boys discs do so why not all of them?
Because certain players, like mine, have trouble handling the page turn. Every time the page turns automatically on the stereo mix of ANATO, for instance, there is an audible dropout (a slight pause). Also, it seems to disable other features. On Pet Sounds, when you choose auto lyrics, you can no longer access the photo gallery, credits, liner notes, etc. When you choose manual advance, all features are restored.

This disc must go... Sound is great. Lousy songs.

What is missing?

Denny Dias, Jeff "Skunk" Baxter, Mike McDonald, Jeff Porcaro, Larry Carlton & the list goes on.

Reactions: GEK
blackbirdr said:
This disc must go... Sound is great. Lousy songs.

What is missing?

Denny Dias, Jeff "Skunk" Baxter, Mike McDonald, Jeff Porcaro, Larry Carlton & the list goes on.
Illogical, my captain. Since when do any of those people have anything to do with the SONGS?

I absolutely LOVE this album.

As others have said, the sonics of this album are superb. I was slightly disappointed with the mix, it's a bit of a 'set it and forget it' mix (as someone coined it in another thread). The instruments are always in exactly the same place and I while I know they were going for a slightly more stripped down live feel with this album, I don't think a little more creativity in sound field placement would have gone amiss.

It's so hard to give this one a rating that represents the album, because I'd give the sonics and discreteness a 10, the songs are about a 7 (in the context of their other work, probably higher compared to music in general) but to me the boring mix makes it overall a 7 in my opinion.

Dave.

10, 10, 10!

What's not to like folks? A fantastic mix! New songs! It's Steely Dan!!!!!!!!

(You will all be sad when they pack up their equipment for good)

The 2-channel 24/192 track is the best I have ever heard. The amount of detail is truly incedible. The best DVD-A so far!! (y) (y)

For sonics:

steelydave said:
As others have said, the sonics of this album are superb. I was slightly disappointed with the mix, it's a bit of a 'set it and forget it' mix (as someone coined it in another thread). The instruments are always in exactly the same place and I while I know they were going for a slightly more stripped down live feel with this album, I don't think a little more creativity in sound field placement would have gone amiss.

I agree--on this and Two Against Nature, Gaucho and both Fagen solo DVD-As, I felt the same. Very predictable, unimaginative surround mixes. And still, that sterile sound, since Gaucho, gets less appealing over the years.

Also...

daved64 said:
Sound and mix is amazing, but ask me when the last time I played it was.....

Musically I don't even care for it anymore. I prefer Two Against Nature by a small amount, but neither get much play anymore. As big a Dan fan as I've been over the years, these rank as "average" IMHO.

This is how DVD-A should be done, IMHO.
Absolute perfection in the mix. It's that good it almost took my vote for best surround demo disc in the polls.

(Only reason it didn't get a perfect 10 is because I don't have the release version but a white label copy, so cannot comment on the packaging)

When I first heard this, I did not know much at all about this band - now I will be getting the rest of the available DVD-A releases ASAP.

Musically I don't even care for it anymore. I prefer Two Against Nature by a small amount, but neither get much play anymore. As big a Dan fan as I've been over the years, these rank as "average" IMHO.

I sold mine.:cool:

Back