Lou Dorren: A new CD-4 Demodulator!!! [ARCHIVE]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello QuadraCD-4 Fans,

kfbkfb,
Kirk, The original Dynagroove spec was modified several times. First was for diameter compensation. Then a slight modification was made to compromise tone arm vs. linear tracking turntables. Another mod was made for variable depth, variable pitch recording. One of the last mods was to accommodate short side radius (.1 to .4mm).

The CD-4 Neutrex pre-distortion system also covers the .1 to .4mm short side radius with more robust diameter signal conditioning control.

With this posting I have included a photomicrograph of the QSI5022 chip. In its time is was the most complex combination analog-digital chip that had ever been produced. Thanks to my good friend Gerry O'keefe who had a copy of this photo.

The stylus brushes have arrived and record cleaning kits will start to ship on Friday.

Lou Dorren

Attachments

• qsi5022chipphoto.jpg
    qsi5022chipphoto.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:
Lou.

Any hope/idea for future supplies for guys to be able to update their Tates etc once the chips die and/or become unavailable?
I would hope somewhere, somebody would have the inside schematics to these chips and could at least update their design
and/or recreate them on printed crt boards out of modern components to keep these gems working.

Any hope/idea for future supplies for guys to be able to update their Tates etc once the chips die and/or become unavailable?
I would hope somewhere, somebody would have the inside schematics to these chips and could at least update their design
and/or recreate them on printed crt boards out of modern components to keep these gems working.

Maybe this guy can help you?:

http://www.spaceandimagecomposer.com/

-Kristian

Hey Lou,

Just checking in with you...Hope all is going smoothly with your circuit board development...

Hope you and everyone else have a happy and safe 4th.

Mikehttps://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/images/smilies/SUNNY.gif
:sun

Hello Quad Fans,

I have arranged for a short run of the QSI record cleaner. This is a run of 50 kits. The kits will include a box of lab grade Kim Wipes, and 8 ounce bottle of QSI record cleaner and instruction sheets on how to clean CD-4 disks and how to restore badly abused conventional vinyl records, acetate dubs, and shellac 78s for archive recording purposes. The cost is $28.00 per kit which includes shipping. California residents add 8.25 % state tax. Delivery will be in 4 weeks.

To get into the queue, send the cost using a credit or debit card through PayPal to the following ID:

[email protected]

You do not need a PayPal account to do this. Just log on to www.paypal.com, click on the personal tab. From the menu bar click on send money selection and from the drop down menu click on "send money on line".

When the Send Money window opens enter [email protected] in the "To" area, your email address in the "From" area, 28.00 in the "Amount" area and check the Goods circle. Then click on the continue button and in the next window fill in all the requested information,your name, address, credit card info etc.. When you are finished click on "agree and continue" and the next window will let you verify all the information. If everything is OK then click on "send money" and wait (click only once). The next window will verify that the money has been sent.

Enjoy the QSI record cleaner,

Lou Dorren

Hi Lou,

Got any of the first run left? Is this cleaner also intended to serve as a preservative similar to the LAST Record Preservative? On that note, what is your experience/opinion on the LAST preservative product? Some seem to love it and others claim it ruins vinyl forever. I have not tried it myself.

Keith

Hello Quadraphers All,

Aludra, Board art is proceeding and looking good I will say. Happy 4th to everyone and as some say have a 5th on the 4th!

etzeppy,

Keith, Oh how I like black magic and snake oil! Even better when described by technical drivel! You must watch out for those shock waves in front of your super sonic stylus because like an earth quake, no wait a minute, record quake, they will turn micro cracks into giant sink holes. Where is RECORD MAN and RECORD WOMAN when we need them.

Record wear is caused by over tracking force, worn styli, improper storage and high ambient temperature playback. The type of styli also can increase wear. Point contact styli such as conical or elliptical at a typical 1.5 gram tracking pressure can exert 15000 lbs. per square inch at the point contacts in the groove, creating accelerated wear. Line contact styli like Shibata or Microline at 1.5 grams tracking pressure only exert 150 lbs. per square inch at the line contacts in the groove, reducing wear.

Seriously, the people that sell this junk are another group selling snake oil to the consuming public just like Monster cable, CD sound rings and green marking laser filter pens, speaker wire lights etc. In fact, if I am not mistaken, they sell a $650.00 speaker cable with more technical jaronese baloney. I would no more put that stuff on my vinyl water hose, let alone my vinyl records.

You will always find some people that will believe that stuff, and unfortunately they stand to ruin a record collection.

Yes, there is 15 kits left.

Everybody who ordered the kits should have received them by this coming Friday the 11th. If not send me an email. I have USPS tracers on all of them.

Lou Dorren

Hey Lou:
I've been saying all that junk is bunk for years. Nice to hear an expert say it. I use lamp cord for speaker wire. It comes in 500 foot rolls, and it has a marker for polarity, and is of sufficient guage. That's all you need, it sounds great.

The Quadfather

Unless, of course, it's like 88 gauge lamp cord. :D

Believe it or not though, there are audiophiles who claim that the thinner, the better! :mad:@:

Doug

Lou,
Am currently traveling, but the wife said nothing arrived from UPS this week. Will be home by Sunday and will let you know if it does not arrive Monday. Thanks.
Ken

Mine arrived in the mail yesterday! Thanks lou!
Well, it looks like this is going to be a slow process. According to Lou's instructions cleaning is done in real time, playing a record and cleaning it in 1/3 increments. It ain't going to be like drving your car thru the carwash :D

Guess I will need to keep a couple of beers near the TT to keep me focused on the job......

Jeff

Hello Lou, sometimes I am thinking, if the Demodulator protoyp will meanwhile work or is shortly before. And today I have found additional this ask: Because there are different modes for connections of different cartridges so I would like to know, if the postion MC means, that the Demodulator is a built in pre-pre for this cartridges (as one is usual for MM cartidges)? If not, there is no a problem for me, because I work till now with the very well working pre-pre's of Denon HA 1000 and Kenwood KHA-50. But I am always curious about all facts of the new Demodulator.

Dietrich

Lou,

The record cleaning solution/kit ordered awhile back arrived this morning.
My entire collection of CD-4 records will be cleaned and ready for your new CD-4 demodulator.
You are my hero!

Hi Lou.

I ordered one of the cleaning kits but have not received it yet. Any info you could provide to track it down would be appreciated.

Thanks so much
Bob

Hello Lou,
this thread is already soo big and it contains a lot of information. Finally today discovered about the QSI cleaner and posted an order. Hopefully not too late. Also if you maintain a list of buyers for your CD-4 demodulator, please put me on it. It was also very interesting to read your comments about the National Panasonic semiconductor cartridges. Approx. 10 years ago I stumbled across 5 or 6 new systems and 2 or 3 extry styli and I do use them with my Technics SH400. someone told me, they only play well for approx. 50-100 LP sides and then you need to replace the stylus, so I use them normally only when I do a recording of a CD-4. but probably this info is not correct.

Hello Mr. Dorren... As a long time quadraholic and reader of Quadraphonic Quad, I have always been mesmerized by CD4 records. For years I have thought often about the genius of the men behind this technology. I look at my quad cartridge and see a stylus is so tiny it is almost invisable, yet it plays the records like magic! Imagine my excitement when I read your column earlier this year about your demodulator. To actually have contact with the designer of this system is really special. May GOD bless you in all of your endeavors. Thank you.

I'm sure it's just a matter of time, but I'll go on the record with those who haven't received the cleaning kit yet.

Back