HiRez Poll Cardigans, The - LONG GONE BEFORE DAYLIGHT [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of The Cardigans - LONG GONE BEFORE DAYLIGHT

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this disc. (y):phones(n)

I've traded quite a few... but I've never played a copy.

What did I miss ? :)

You get a very good record, music and audio wise, with slightly better sonics and a very conservative 5.1-mix. It is good but very far from the descrete mixes I prefer.

//Uffe

Here's a private review I got from 'plickfu' at SHF... posted with his permission.

I got him a copy about a year ago.

"Well, Long Gone Before Daylight is one of my favorite albums of all time. To get an idea of the music, you can listen to clips of the album by multiple means. It's a great laid-back, introspective album. I think of it as the ultimate album to listen to when you get home late at night from a good night out. As far as the SACD is concerned, there is definitely an advantage to the 2-ch layer. It's just more pleasant sounding, less compressed (not that the redbook is overly loud/compressed to begin with). The greater dynamics also shine with the drums and acoustic percussion, two elements I find benefit from SACD. The surround mix is very conservative, as far as surround mixes go. Sort of like if you were in the studio with them as they perform it. I don't listen to it as often because I am not too big of a fan of surround mixes of studio material. I hope this helps."

Thanks Steve.

One of my favourite SACD's - love the album, love the mix. The subtle surround mix completely suits the material and feels more like time spent in the studio live with the band as opposed to "working every channel mixes".
Nina Persson's voice is a thing of beauty and magic and it is front and centre throughout.

One of my favourite SACD's - love the album, love the mix. The subtle surround mix completely suits the material and feels more like time spent in the studio live with the band as opposed to "working every channel mixes".
Nina Persson's voice is a thing of beauty and magic and it is front and centre throughout.

Thanks 'DrMabuse2001'.

I think that's the ticket I needed to crack 'er open.

Cheers.

I finally played my copy this week (in 2 channel only so I can't comment on the surround mix).

It's not my favourite Cardigans album, but I did enjoy it, especially the uptempo tracks.

Didn't find the sound all that full but it is clean and yes, Nina's voice is wonderful.

Thanks 'DrMabuse2001'.

I think that's the ticket I needed to crack 'er open.

Cheers.

I don't think you will be disappointed. I am a huge Cardigans fan and this album was a real turning point for them. Nina's lyrics got much darker and certainly indicated where she would end up with her other project "A Camp".
It is no surprise that this album did not sell very well - not real radio friendly.
Also - how can you not love a record featuring a duet with Ebbot from Soundtrack Of Our Lives on it? :D

I finally cracked 'er open last night.

Subtle mix and very listenable.

I'll give it a 7.

You've heard of 'chick flicks', this is a chick disc... lyrically brilliant (I'm assuming based on her personal experience).

Last edited:
After quite a few plays, I am very impressed...

I hope all of you can find a copy somewhere, even the CD.

It is an excellent album.

Back