HiRez Poll XTC - SKYLARKING [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of XTC - SKYLARKING

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
I voted a 10. As hard as I tried, I cannot find anything wrong with this release. Just superb!

Me too, I love it, Previously all I was acquainted with was 'Drums & Wires' which was fantastic so I bought the 5.1 when that came out, great! then I listened to samples of Oranges & Lemons and Nonsuch as they where released in 5.1 but nothing grabbed me about the music so I didn't bother, but when I listened to Skylarking in stereo I thought ' Yes I like this' so I got it and I'm so glad I did, perhaps I ought to re-think Oranges and Nonsuch. Definitely anything coming after this.

Me too, I love it, Previously all I was acquainted with was 'Drums & Wires' which was fantastic so I bought the 5.1 when that came out, great! then I listened to samples of Oranges & Lemons and Nonsuch as they where released in 5.1 but nothing grabbed me about the music so I didn't bother, but when I listened to Skylarking in stereo I thought ' Yes I like this' so I got it and I'm so glad I did, perhaps I ought to re-think Oranges and Nonsuch. Definitely anything coming after this.
Yes... collect the set while they continue with new releases each year. Also somewhere along the way, I do hope they can track down the multi-tracks for Life Begins at the Hop as well. Last thing we want though is a reissue of the Drums and Wires remix. [emoji14]

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Incredible all round. One of my favourite albums by anyone is now a more incredible listening experience than it has ever been. I love the discrete placements of vocals and percussion particularly. SW has used the 'swirling' effect more than any other XTC release here (strings and acoustic guitars), but in a tasteful way that perfectly suits the music.

Everything has been covered by other reviewers here, as far as the embarrassment of riches contained on this set from the extra tracks to the demos. Looking forward to all releases in this series, but when my other fave 'Apple Venus' is finally done, I for one will be a very happy man. Cannot be anything but a 10. (y)

Incredible all round. One of my favourite albums by anyone is now a more incredible listening experience than it has ever been. I love the discrete placements of vocals and percussion particularly. SW has used the 'swirling' effect more than any other XTC release here (strings and acoustic guitars), but in a tasteful way that perfectly suits the music.

Everything has been covered by other reviewers here, as far as the embarrassment of riches contained on this set from the extra tracks to the demos. Looking forward to all releases in this series, but when my other fave 'Apple Venus' is finally done, I for one will be a very happy man. Cannot be anything but a 10. (y)

This is the review I would have written. This mix is a wonder. One of my favorite albums of all time just got better. Nothing left to say

Well, it IS a beauty, and being one of my all time faves from XTC, I give the mix a 10 !!!!!

BUT

I was VERY UPSET to find that...

THERE ARE NO LYRICS INCLUDED ANYWHERE!!!

it's not like Andy's and Colin's lyrics are f*ckin' BRILLIANT...so WHERE ARE THEY????

so that takes down the rating to a paltry "9"....

I had to FOLD my LP inner sleeve (yes, the cheapo US one in BLACK AND WHITE -The UK one was in nice color...btw ,my Skorpio ex from Boston, Anna, gave me this LP back in the day cause she had it on CD already...and , coincidentally, the release of this LP was on HER Birthday, Oct. 27....) and tuck it as best as I could into the package, cause , even though I probably know the lyrics by now, I ALWAYS like to read the lyrics....

Listening to this in the car right now. The first 3-4 songs are fantastic, but it almost feels like the drums are a little less prominent in the mix. One of the things I loved about the original mix was the snare that seemed to cut through the mix (on most songs, anyway). Kind of feels a little diminished, but that's the only negative thing I have to say....

Definitely. Todd's mixes had magic as well and most certainly some of that was lost with Wilson's re-do as it was with the former stereo remastering to vinyl (as good as that sounds).

Other formerly prominent wonderfull sounds subdued in the new mix are the ones early in 'The Meeting Place'. Those are totally Todd and he really pushes them on his mix to great effect I think.

Todd's fabulously weird bass sound on "Summer's Caldron" is now reduced to a far more boring and traditional one as nobody could get that effect during the mix but him.

I rarely don't...

10 from me. I rarely get caught up in the details if the mix is good.

oh, the mix and everything else is an "11" for me..I'm just "anal" about the lyrics... BTW, I didn't remember I had this on CD, so I unfolded the LP sleeve and just put the CD booklet (AND the CD) in the box!! (BTW,it seems that my half brother was a HUGE fan and a BAD handler cause it has a LOT of scratches...that's cause I left my CD collection back home a few years and he got his dirty paws on the ones he liked, which, fortunately, were only a few)

First of all, this is one of my all time favorite records. I got the cd when it was released and listened to it every day for months. So this review is necessarily biased.

I must comment on the clarity of the vocals. Words seem to explode from all speakers. SW got that right.

True the bottom is soft. However, I was always in love with the top end of this record. Especially the extras (birds, crickets, horns, etc...).

Now I get to listen to this record again every day for months with my head spinning with sound! 10!

My 4th XTC this week and another 10. Performance wise they are all different but still XTC. The amount of stuff you get on each BD, packaging, etc is a big hit. The Steven Wilson mix of this is a 10 just like the other 3.
Too bad others don’t jump on the XTC bandwagon and come out with there own surround series.

One down, one to go... :)

English Settlement does seem like the most obvious next choice to release. Certainly MY choice.

But I'll wait for it for another year or two if it means "having" to listen to 5.1s of Mummer or The Big Express in the meantime. :)

And will they bookend the series with the first two albums and the Apple Venus albums? Will there be some Dukes of Stratosphear in the future?

Back