Listening to now (In Surround!) - Volume 1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Intergalactic Trot - Stardrive/Robert Mason CD-4
Kosmos - Tomita Dolby Surround CD
Wrapped in a Dream - Spyro Gyra SACD 5.1
Devils & Dust - Bruce Springsteen Dual Disc 5.1
Great American Songbook - Rod Stewart DVD-A
Early Years - Bob Marley DVD-A

Love Stardrive in Quad! Elektra's first CD-4 release and a classic.

War - The World is a Ghetto - Q8
Hugo Montenegro - Love Theme from The Godfather - Quad Reel
Jackson 5 - Greatest Hits - CD-4
Jaws - Soundtrack - CD-4
Herb Alpert & Tijuana Brass - Whipped Cream -Q8
Earthquake - Soundtrack - CD-4
Nini Rosso - Russian Folk Songs - CD-4

Stardrive was our demo album when CD-4 was new. Through 4 Altec Voice of the Theaters, we had the biggest WOW factor in town!

Had the opportunity to hang backstage with Herb Alpert & Lani Hall at one of their concerts. Also got to hang with the guys from War. Cool memories.

Love Stardrive in Quad! Elektra's first CD-4 release and a classic.

Seal II -DVD-A
Women on top- Silverline DVD-A (another member mentioned in the "Adjusting rear channel volume" thread that Blondie's "Heart of Glass" needed some real boosting to ACTUALLY appreciate the fact that it is not an upmix- thanks-it's true, I always thought it was an upmix since the rears are about 4 dB lower than they should be...the rest of the stuff is not bad, but I get the impression that the remix engineers just slid the faders up, eq'ed a bit and hit the record/bounce button)

Fingers - Airto Moriera SQ percussao!!
Stampede - Spliff Bros CD-4
Whipped Cream - Herb Alpert Q8 Picture is way better on the LP, even in mono
Live in London - Buddy Rich Q8
October Road - JT SACD 5.1
Chapter Four - Gato Barbieri QS
Mussorgsky: Pix - Tomita Dolby Surround CD

Wow, Linda, Whipped Cream was a Q8? I remember that lp from my parents....and the photo. How is the mix?

Wow, Linda, Whipped Cream was a Q8? I remember that lp from my parents....and the photo. How is the mix?

Yes, dated but a good one in Quad. I find I play Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass Greatest Hits Q8 more than Whipped Cream in Quad though.

Fingers - Airto Moriera SQ percussao!!
Stampede - Spliff Bros CD-4
Whipped Cream - Herb Alpert Q8 Picture is way better on the LP, even in mono
Live in London - Buddy Rich Q8
October Road - JT SACD 5.1
Chapter Four - Gato Barbieri QS
Mussorgsky: Pix - Tomita Dolby Surround CD

Is this the same "Stampede" album as the one in Quad by the Doobie Brothers ?

Whether they're Doobies, Blunts, Spliffs, Pot or Wacky Tobaccy Brothers, they all sound the same. With enough of that stuff, CD-4 becomes octophonic!!

I'm a big Herb Alpert fan and have met him and his wife Lani. To me, Q8's are all a comedown. I own a couple hundred of them, but I often play those titles on CD or LP and synthesize. Blaspherer! I've replaced nearly all Q8's possible on SQ and CD-4. I'd rather listen that way. Those 2 Q8's never made it to Quad vinyl. Please don't tell me how good DVD-A conversions are or that Q8's sound better than 2ch 8's. They're all pretty low-fi, albeit discrete.

I think the mixes could be better on many A&M Quad titles, especially the early Q8-only ones. Most later A&M titles, when RCA pressed them, especially the CD-4's are pretty good mixes. I was severely disappointed that no one bought the killer "You Smile, the Song Begins" album in '74. Even I didn't buy it. I got a promo with a T-shirt and mobile. It's terriffic. Since it stiffed, the Quad was scuttled, as was Coney Island. Sad. Passion Dance on DTS CD is a wonder, albeit not hi-res. I saw him on that tour and have an autographed disc. If you don't own Passion Dance, get it!!

Is this the same "Stampede" album as the one in Quad by the Doobie Brothers ?

Whether they're Doobies, Blunts, Spliffs, Pot or Wacky Tobaccy Brothers, they all sound the same. With enough of that stuff, CD-4 becomes octophonic!!

I'm a big Herb Alpert fan and have met him and his wife Lani. To me, Q8's are all a comedown. I own a couple hundred of them, but I often play those titles on CD or LP and synthesize. Blaspherer! I've replaced nearly all Q8's possible on SQ and CD-4. I'd rather listen that way. Those 2 Q8's never made it to Quad vinyl. Please don't tell me how good DVD-A conversions are or that Q8's sound better than 2ch 8's. They're all pretty low-fi, albeit discrete.

I think the mixes could be better on many A&M Quad titles, especially the early Q8-only ones. Most later A&M titles, when RCA pressed them, especially the CD-4's are pretty good mixes. I was severely disappointed that no one bought the killer "You Smile, the Song Begins" album in '74. Even I didn't buy it. I got a promo with a T-shirt and mobile. It's terriffic. Since it stiffed, the Quad was scuttled, as was Coney Island. Sad. Passion Dance on DTS CD is a wonder, albeit not hi-res. I saw him on that tour and have an autographed disc. If you don't own Passion Dance, get it!!

Agreed, Passion Dance on DTS Music Disc is very good. I remember Coney Island being slated for Quad release and then cancelled - disappointing.

Night Calls - Joe Cocker DTS-CD Great music, weak MC mix.
Greatest Hits - Herb Alpert Q8
Everything Must Go - Steely Dan DVD-A
Live in London - O' Jays SQ
Dvorak: 6 - Sir Colin Davis/LSO SACD 5.1
Live - Brian Wilson DVD-A
Chapter Three - Gato Barbieri QS
Rendesvous in NY - Chick Corea SACD 5.1
Concord on a Summer Night - Dave Brubeck SACD 5.1

"Whether they're Doobies, Blunts, Spliffs, Pot or Wacky Tobaccy Brothers, they all sound the same. With enough of that stuff, CD-4 becomes octophonic!!"
Your thinking of beer goggles, there are no weed filter's

Electric Light Orchestra DVD-V DTS 96/24
Gentle Giant- Freehand and Interview DVD-V DTS 96/24
Jethro Tull- Aqualung DVD-V DTS 96/24

Classical and baroque prog afternoon....

:smokin

Today:
ELO- (again, whatcanIsay???? I LOVE ELO...this is not good cause I'm gonna have to get all of their stuff now...and I only have their LPs/CDs since ANWR !!!) DTS 96/24
Al DiMeola- Flesh on Flesh SACD
Porcupine Tree- Lightbulb Sun DVD-A (yes, it's growing on me!)

more to come...

Genesis '76-'82: Extra Tracks (SACD)

Sigh. It could have been so amazing. Instead it's just.... okay.

Foreigner -IV DVD-A Japanese version

EDIT ( I warned you !!)

Billy Cobham- Spectrum DVD-A...gonna have to reauthor this and boost the highs and lows by at least 6 dB!!! (end of rant!)

EDIT TWO:
Björk- Vespertine DVD-A (definitely better than the DTS in the "Surrounded" Box....) her best CD IMO

Last edited:
Oh, no doubting the quality of the music. And I do like the 5.1 mix... I just wish it wasn't so damn loud and distorted... :(

Average White Band CD-4
World of Harry Partch Q8
Madame Butterfly Q8
Trick of the Tail - Genesis SACD 5.1
Live in Japan - Harrison & Clapton SACD 5.1
New Favorite - Alison Krauss & Union Station SACD 5.1
Avalanche - Mountain SQ
Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue, Cuban Overture, Piano Concierto in F - Nakamatsu/Tyzik SACD 5.1
Halloween - Zappa DVD-A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back