Mike Keneally Band "Bakin' @ the Potato!" DTS DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
51-85-rl6pL._SS500_.jpg

A few months back, jdmack posted here https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?14572-Just-doing-my-part-for-the-cause&p=128154&highlight=Mike+Keneally+Band+bakin%27+%40+the+potato!#post128154 about his correspondence with the folks at Mike Keneally's label Exowax, and how he convinced them to release Mike's new live DVD encoded in DTS 5.1 surround - and it worked! Many repeated thanks to jdmack of course! However, in what seems to be a sadly repeated song around this forum, virtually no one seemed to notice or at least bother with a comment (with a few (5) exceptions).

FWIW, this is a stunning live DVD featuring musicians of the highest caliber performing what appear to be magic tricks on their respective instruments. The DTS mix (1536 kbps DTS) is active and discrete while the fidelity is superb - made all the more remarkable by the obvious limitations of the venue they are performing at - small stage (drummer, 4 guitars, bass and keys)/low ceiling - a great sounding live disc.

Mike has been making great music on his own for over 20 years in somewhat relative obscurity, but has endeared himself to many as a notable sideman for Frank Zappa, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and others. His virtuosity on both guitar and keys is astounding (sometimes played simultaneously). His music is a unique mix of Yes like prog, Zappaesque jazz/blues/rock improv mixed with XTC like power pop. I highly recommend this disc - if you have the strength of your surround convictions, as a member of this forum, you should support releases like this - ESPECIALLY when one of our members successfully lobbies to get a title released in surround. For those of you with fear of the unknown, you can check out a few clips from the video here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXM7W7XGgn4

and here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEtZpLk1jjc

It's available directly from Mike's own site here;

http://store.moosemart.com/servlet/Detail?no=57

and via Amazon here;

http://www.amazon.com/bakin-potato-Mike-Keneally-Band/dp/B00509BJI8 (note - currently Amazon - has a 1-2 month shipment availability - too sad and justly undeserved that music this good is allowed to die on the vine)

I talked to Mike briefly at a San Diego house party in March when I overheard him mention "surround mixing for a new DVD". This is that project! He was there playing with The Assumptions, a side project with a couple of my friends. First met him in 1989 when I was playing out with one of those friends.

His talents in playing, improvising, producing and mixing are immense.

Got this yesterday. Great disc. Many thanks to elmer for bringing this to our attention!

Many "thanks" Elmer, Moosemart order placed. Really looking forward to hearing this.

Thanks for starting this thread.
I was in my local record store Lou's here in Leucadia, CA which seems to be home of Ecowax.
There was another cd/dvd set with DD 5.1 surround mix, autographed - appears to be limited to 2500 sets, dated 2004.
Mike Keneally Band - Dog
The 5.1 is MKB at Victor's - about 30 minutes, MKB in The living room about 30 minutes, studio track Physics in 5.1.

Tom in So Cal

Small world - I used to deal with Lou's back in my music distro days. Mike's a really talented guy and his stuff unfortunately is not easy to find. I am happy to post anything that turns people on to good music - and MKB is REALLY good!

Coincidentally, I just this minute discovered a live show from the 1997 G3 Tour with Joe Satriani, Robert Fripp, Kenny Wayne Shepard and Mike Keneally. Mike Keneally joins Robert Fripp for a set and solos on/around/over his soundscape improvisations. The show is available from the Discipline web site as a Flac download for $12.95. Here's the link http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?artist=14&show=917 and here's the blurb about the show;

"...On the tour Fripp was sometimes joined by other musicians. On this occasion he is then joined by Mike Kenneally, best known for his work with Frank Zappa and an eclectic solo career.

The tone Kenneally uses evokes a younger Fripp; creating intense, rippling clusters;bending notes, plying them into emotive twists and turns that pull at the head and heart. It's a skillful blending of the two players although there are times when it's akin to listening to the same guitarist thirty years apart.

Kenneally is clearly an admirer of Fripp’s work, and it turns out the feeling is mutual. "Mike Keneally was able to solo over [Soundscapes] in a way I have never been able to achieve for myself. He gave me answers to questions I had felt for myself, but never had the courage or capacity to find an answer".

The wonderfully elegiac Terror, Dread and Celebration provides a beautiful, if typically oblique, finish to the concert.

DGM engineer, Alex Mundy notes that Robert has written on the Dat tape from which this concert is taken “This may be the debut of Space Music, as such.” Alex goes on to say “Robert listened to it on 7 Jan 1999, and has given it a red Star (which at the time meant he liked it) and also has written “Yes! Yes!””

Hopefully this will encourage others here to try out Mike's new DVD - and discover his talented playing.

I watched the DVD Friday night and grinned severely the entire time! Amazing music and spot on performances. RECOMMENDED

Mike mentioned he was mixing this when we spoke at a March 2011 houseparty show and he did put in some interesting touches.

Will have to nab that G3 show. I was also a customer of Lou's when I lived in Escondido.

FYI - There will be a show in LA in the next few weeks that will be the US debut of The Universe Will Provide!

I watched the DVD Friday night and grinned severely the entire time! Amazing music and spot on performances. RECOMMENDED

Mike mentioned he was mixing this when we spoke at a March 2011 houseparty show and he did put in some interesting touches.

Will have to nab that G3 show. I was also a customer of Lou's when I lived in Escondido.

FYI - There will be a show in LA in the next few weeks that will be the US debut of The Universe Will Provide!

I should point out that MK plays only on one track with Fripp - the aptly titled, "Keneally." Still worthwhile (IMO). Enjoy!

Back