HiRez Poll Band - THE LAST WALTZ [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Band - THE LAST WALTZ

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations on this DVD-Audio disc from WB/Rhino (n) (y)

Band Last Waltz Front.jpg

Band Last Waltz Back.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, this one is popular, eh?

I dunno, I never really understood the cult fascination with "The Band". Considering the small number of votes on this title, I guess I'm not alone.

I did give it my best effort, trying to remain objective to this surround release. Well, it really didn't do anything to sway me. Sounds good enough for a live album, I guess. Unfortunately, no sparks here... six points.

Cai Campbell said:
Wow, this one is popular, eh?

I dunno, I never really understood the cult fascination with "The Band". Considering the small number of votes on this title, I guess I'm not alone.

I did give it my best effort, trying to remain objective to this surround release. Well, it really didn't do anything to sway me. Sounds good enough for a live album, I guess. Unfortunately, no sparks here... six points.

Well, the sound on the DVD-V is quite good so buying the DVD-A without the video made no sense. A lot of people may be in this boat.

radiodaddy said:
that's why i skipped it

Yeah, I am not even sure why they brought it out in DVD-A format on it's own. The video/audio combo raises the DVD-V into a "must have" category. Just the DVD-A (audio) would be expendible.

Can anyone confirm/deny that it's the same mix from the DVD-V? There are some instances in the movie where the mixing reflects stuff that's going on onstage (i.e., guitars pan to follow the guitarist across stage, etc.). I can't imagine this was replicated for the DVD-A release as well.

Okay, I am way behind on this one. I saw it at the Future Shop for $18.99 today which seemed to be a very good price since most online retailers that have it in stock have it listed for $23.99 U.S. So I picked it up. To me the DVD-A sound quality is much above the DVD-V. The funny thing about this one is that it sounds very anemic at the top end on low volumes. But once you crank it up it seems to shine. Not sure if I will be able to listen to the track on the DVD-V now.

How does the DVD-A stack up against the standard redbook CD (which is HDCD encoded)? The CD box set is very well mastered, if the DVD-A 5.1 mix is any good, I may have to add this one to my list of surrounds to purchase

I picked this one up second hand as it is getting hard to find these days and I was very impressed. I have the DVD-V version of this and listening to the DVD-A was like night and day. I was only going to listen to a few select tracks and ended up listening from beginning to end (with several tracks a second and third time). I am glad I did not pass up the chance to get this one. The Last Waltz Suite (with Emmylou Harris on Evangeline) was worth the price I paid for it alone.

I picked this one up for £6 on Amazon Marketplace. I've always been a great fan of The Band and have the original vinyl release of 'The Last Waltz', together with the DVD movie (Collector's Edition) and the 4CD box set so as far as the music goes I'm a convert.

The DVD-A is OK but Robbie Robertson's 5.1 mix is not stunning. It adds live concert ambience in the rear channels although the soundstage recorded tracks are mixed more interestingly.

Worth having if you're a fan but start with the DVD of the movie or the 4CD box set.

Interesting album a very mixed bag of songs and performances.

probably would have been better getting the Video rather than DVDA but wanted the best soundingf disc and was not that worried about watching the performance.

No regrets in buying this a better surround mix that Music from big Pink

Here are two interesting write ups on "The Last Waltz" DVD-Audio that made me go get my disc and schlep it out to the car for tomorrow's commute. Since I just watched the film this weekend on BluRay (a visitor requested the viewing), it's the right time for a comparison.

http://theband.hiof.no/albums/last_waltz_dvd_audio.html

As usual, I've owned beaucoup copies of this. It IS the greatest concert film ever done! I do own and love Monterey Pop and Woodstock, which I've owned lots of copies of, as well. I didn't realize when I bought my 3-LP set as a new release for $6 that I'd GLADLY spend so much money re-acquiring it. I've owned LP, CED (RCA videodisc), CD, DVD, DVD-A, 4CD box and a Blu-Ray of this. Guess I missed the cassette, stereo-8 and VHS. As instructed in the opening frames, "This film should be played LOUD!"

You can't beat the Band w/Zim, Clapton, Joni, Muddy Waters, Staples, Van the Man, Emmylou, Ringo, Diamond, Young, Rebennac, Butter and the Hawk! YOU KNOW YOU NEED IT!!! It's the Band at their best!

There isn't a great deal going on in the rear. Blu-Ray is the hot tickets for this title. The DVD-A seems to be a slightly different mix. The 4CD box is for completists, like me.

Richard Manuel and Rick Danko live on through this work.

A bit off topic, but make sure you p/u Robbie Robertson's "How to Become Clairvoyant" on CD. Clapton guests on 7 tracks. (y) I'm not that hot on the fidelity of the Mofi SACD 2ch Band reissues.

Linda

"Me and my mate were back at the shack. We had Spike Jones on the box. She said, 'I can't take the way he sings, but I love to hear him talk!" Robbie Robertson

As I'm watching the Blu-Ray of The Last Waltz, I notice in chapter 16 (1:20 into movie) that there is a Teac 3340 (w/7" reels) in the background while Scorsese interviews Rick Danko. The Teac wasn't credited as a performer. :howl

Linda
Mistress of Multi-Channel Madness

Well, I have to admit that I bought this disc when it came out, and it basically sat on my DVD-A shelf since that day. I don't think I ever played it. I fell into the common conception that "Why would I want to listen to live music when I can WATCH live music?"

Well, for the first time I listened to this DVD-A and I have to tell you, it's a damn good DVD-A and a superb surround mix, as far as I'm concerned. First off, the first 24 tracks are from the concert, so the surround mix is your basic front centric, audience all around you mix. Nothing special, but still done well, as you get the immersion you want from a live music experience. There is direction from particular instruments, and the lead vocals are mostly "bare" in the center channel, but also audible in the 4 corner channels as well, more of a reflective sound in the rears.

However, where this disc shines is the "THE LAST WALTZ SUITE", which is a handful of tunes done on a soundstage and not in front of an audience. Here, Robbie Robertson has created a very "Scheiner" like surround mix, with very discrete placement of vocals and instruments all throughout the 5 audio channels which makes for a demo quality surround experience.

The tracks "Evangeline" which guests Emmylou Harris and "The Weight" which guests "The Staples" are standout to the point that they deserve inclusion on any surround sound demo disc.

If you have this disc collecting dust on your shelf like I did, take it out and give it a spin, especially if you have DVD-A in your car. From my ears, this sounds like a totally different 5.1 listen than the BluRay disc tracks. When I get a chance, I'm going to extract the audio from both and compare a few songs, especially the above mentioned tunes from 'The Suite' and see if there is indeed a difference.

On other thing. I'm really not a big "The Band" fan. I know the hits, not their whole catalog. That did not prevent me from enjoying watching the BluRay or listening to this DVD-A.

Hard to believe I had a "Gem on the shelf" all of this time and never made the effort to discover it!

Thanks Jon!
You know I bought this too perhaps a year ago and I've yet to listen to it..... I just picked up and watched the bluray which came in a dvd plus blu package at Costco for $8. Not a big fan of the group but there are some really nice performances in there. Guess I'm going to have to listen to the DVDA.

I ripped the audio from the Blu-Ray disc of "The Last Waltz" using DVD Fab 8 and compared the audio mixes and they are indeed different, which you pretty much could tell by ear.

Here's the track "The Weight", both the DVD-A track (top) and the BluRay track (Bottom). You can "see" the kick-off guitar riff is in the center channel on the BluRay, and in the rear right channel on the DVD-A. Also, the Vocals are all in the center channel on the BluRay, where on the DVD-A, the Staples are pretty much in the rears, and the Band vocals are in the fronts.

Actually, both mixes work well, as when watching the video, the sounds come from where they're supposed to - in front.
When listening to the DVD-A, it's more of an "on stage" listen, which is the kind of surround mix I like to hear when I'm just listening, not watching. It gives the listener a chance to hear a performance from an audio vantage point not normally available to them.

I guess the folks at WB really put some effort into this release. It's a shame that kind of effort stopped "somewhere along the line".

The Weight 6CH View.jpg

(9)
10 is perfect; no such thing, as of yet
Track 28; (The Weight)/Staples Singers
In my Acura TL/ELS, I swear, you think they're in the car singing!
Incredibly, it's the only song on the disc that ISN'T LIVE!
That being said, this DVD/A is a favorite, along with Money For Nothing, Love, & Black & White Night
Superb recordings

Actually, "The Last Waltz Suite" and "Evangeline" are also soundstage recordings and are not live.

Linda
Baroness of the Band

(9)
10 is perfect; no such thing, as of yet
Track 28; (The Weight)/Staples Singers
In my Acura TL/ELS, I swear, you think they're in the car singing!
Incredibly, it's the only song on the disc that ISN'T LIVE!
That being said, this DVD/A is a favorite, along with Money For Nothing, Love, & Black & White Night
Superb recordings

Back