Caravan: In the land of grey and pink - Pre order!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They could do it and give download codes to those who bought the discs....

Just like Tom Petty did for his Blu-Ray Audio discs, but if that is Steven Wilson I'll eat my shirt! (that is shirt with an 'R', by the way). He supposedly says "is it easy for you guys to burn your own playable discs? Forgive my ignorance on this, it's not something I've ever tried to do myself" Hah! I fancy he has the skills to do this...

Besides, SW would obviously post here, the premier surround sound site, and not on the SH forum!

Just like Tom Petty did for his Blu-Ray Audio discs, but if that is Steven Wilson I'll eat my shirt! (that is shirt with an 'R', by the way). He supposedly says "is it easy for you guys to burn your own playable discs? Forgive my ignorance on this, it's not something I've ever tried to do myself" Hah! I fancy he has the skills to do this...

Besides, SW would obviously post here, the premier surround sound site, and not on the SH forum!

Dear Mike,

Why do you doubt me so?

Love,
Steven

OMG, he just posted here! ;)

I tend to think the post could be real. Since SW deals with retail product releases and buying tangible items (records & CDs), it's not a stretch to think he has no first hand knowledge of downloading details.

My theory was that he'd let the Universal DD release run it's course for contractural reasons and then offer a licensed DVD-A release thru Burning Shed or similar. It may be judged too costly to make physical discs for this album release? I dunno.

He is sincere about what he does and it has to be frustrating that the real thing exists and cannot be distributed to the masses due to ignorance at the label.

I tend to think the post could be real. Since SW deals with retail product releases and buying tangible items (records & CDs), it's not a stretch to think he has no first hand knowledge of downloading details.

Oh, it could be real. I also think it tends to hit the soft spots around here a little too perfectly and would be a perfect candidate for a prank. For everyone's sake, I actually hope it is real and that Steven took the time off of what has been a very emotionally grueling tour schedule to interact with some fans.

That being said, if the mix of the quality that his PT mixes are, you could make it a surround mp3 and stick it on a coaster and fans would find something to love about it. Strange how people are so picky about some areas yet so forgiving in others.

Dear Mike,

Why do you doubt me so?

Love,
Steven

OMG, he just posted here! ;)

Classic! Lol.

By the way i'm offerring little Dts logo stickers you can place on the back cover of tbe album to make them sound better. ( they work like a miracle for those that judge a pkece of audio without even listening to it.) Only $10 a pop too. Bargain!

Hey Y'all:
Inquadwetrust, I'm going on your word and I ordered it. I listened to a couple of tracks on the internet and was quite impressed with the music. I can't wait to hear it in surround. I missed Caravan the first time around so it's all new music to me.

The Quadfather

As I am not familiar with Caravan I did not know what to expect. After listening to it a few times I am pleasantly surprised. The music is very good. A bit 70's pop with some prog bits with a lot of organ. Re the mix, as always very well done by Mr. Wilson. Good use of the center for vocals en some solo-ing. In the rears we have harmony vocals and a lot of organ solo-ing. Didn't have time yet to delve into the outtakes/alternate mixes.

By the way, what's up with Amazon.com? Do they no longer post music samples? I checked several bands and songs and found no samples. I knew they didn't always have them, but it seems they never have them anymore.

By the way, what's up with Amazon.com? Do they no longer post music samples? I checked several bands and songs and found no samples. I knew they didn't always have them, but it seems they never have them anymore.
Interesting. I do the majority of my sampling on Amazon.com. Usually the CD versions have samples - at least the ones I checked. Saw an MP3 version also that had samples. The DVDs don't. Just went and had a look - can't see that much has changed. I'd really be concerned if they started cutting back on these - like I said, they are my main source. Do you have a couple of examples?

A poster on the SH forums claiming to be Steven Wilson posted this:
Originally Posted by Steven Wilson
Hello folks - this is Steven Wilson, I'm new here! Anyway, I did the 5.1 remix of In the Land of Grey and Pink, and I'm also very disappointed that there wasn't a lossless DVDA included in the reissue, but as I'm sure you already suspect it's to do with major label politics and saving a few cents. Unfortunately this is something largely out of my control, though of course I always make the best case I can for high res formats, especially when I've gone to so much trouble to make the mixes sound as good as I can. Here's a question - if we could find a way to make the lossless 2.0 and 5.1 files available to download, is it easy for you guys to burn your own playable discs? Forgive my ignorance on this, it's not something I've ever tried to do myself. Not saying that this could happen, because I would have to go through official channels to get the record company to agree to do it, but in principle? It seems such a shame that the high res audio files exist but aren't available to the people that would appreciate them. SW

If this download thing does not come to live, perhaps Mr. Wilson can release it on his own Headphone Dust label or the Tonefloat label if the licensing can be solved.

For those who want to know, I received mine today and I can confirm that it is only Dolby Digital, both the 5.1 and the stereo mixes. I'm a little bit disappointed that there is no DTS stream and not even a PCM stereo track.
Can't judge the mix and the sound quality for now because I won't have time in the forthcoming days to listen to this one.

And everyone is surprised why?
I TOLD you what this was.....

Despite all that has been said here on the Net's #1 "Hi Rez Forum", the Steve Wilson mix is great on this, couldn't ask for more active use of the rear speakers (if you like that kind of thing...I do) Wow- keyboard solos from the rear, who would have thought of such a thing? I'd vote in the poll section but I think DD was banned there. Yes Neil you warned us, some folks apparently can't/won't read, but this disc is a happy mistake for me.

Neil,

Can you confirm that SW's inquiry as to download for Hi Res files for this album legit? Seems to me if he had the rights to distribute it in this manner then he could issue (what a great series this could begin) a private label disc via Headphone Dust or other SW imprint. Since the mixing is done I'd think that authoring and packaging as a DVD-A would not take much more at this point.

Speculation but fun nonetheless. :smokin:

Tim

My copy came in the mail while I was away last week and I gave it a spin yesterday morning. Very nicely done mix. Yeah, it's a shame it's only DD though, no excuse for not going up to at least DTS. Still I'm glad I got it as it's been years since I heard this album - used to have it on vinyl but for whatever reason reason never got a cd of it. The bonus material, new mixes, video clips and reasonable price somewhat make up for the lossy DD on the DVD. I'd forgotten how much I liked this album.

My copy came in the mail yesterdy. I'm happy I didn't have to wait until June 21.
What a great mix! The vocals sound great coming out of the center speaker and as pointed out above there are some great keyboard solos directed to the rears. The DD sound quality is acceptable despite my fears. Not having a hi rez version to compare I don't know how much more could be squeezed out of the original tapes but I'm happy with what I got. I also appreciate that SW mixed the Rose bonus track in surround also. It feels like its part of the original album. This is quirky music for an occasional listen, Led Zeppelin fans are not going to be buying this, its a small market product. When you think about it, its kind of amazing a label spent money to produce this reissue. Need to listen some more...

Anybody hesitating because it ain't hi-res is missing out on one helluva good disc. The mix and music are both 10 out of 10. The sound is not far behind - it really does sound superb.

I'd never heard them before. I simply cannot stop playing it. Quirky? Maybe I like quirky music! And I'm a Led Zepp fan too.

Thats great, Oxenholme. I didn't mean to denigrate Caravan by calling it quirky, I like it. Reminds me of Soft Machine music.

You know, I REALLY wanted to like this ....
Unfortunately , it ain't so, not even on a 2nd listen....
I am not going to criticize the band or the music, it'd be out of place...
But I'm guessing that most of you can feel my point of view (Steven Wilson recommends and mixed this in Surround? Heck, i'll go for it!...receive it and ....oh well)
Heck I know that in his 5.1 list is ABBA's "Arrival"--I'd GLADLY buy that!!
fOR THOSE OF YOU WHO LIKE IT, I'M ENVIOUS....
Cheers

I can fully understand your resrevations about the album, Caravan's music is very British, of a particular time and place (Cambridge), and "...Grey and Pink..." is an early-ish album (certainly very quirky), but held by many as one of their two classic's.

I got into Caravan in the 70's via the other album, "Girls Who grow Plump In The Night" which is probably more accessable to those an-aware of the band, it was certainly more commercially successful.

If they wanted to treat Caravan fans, all they had to do was dig out the Quad mix of "Girls..." and release that. Now that might have been received better than "...Grey and Pink"

Back