The Flame DY-encoded quad LP is out on CD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinylguy4

701 Club - QQ All-Star
I haven't seen anything posted previously so just a note to QQ.

The Flame in now out on CD. I've seen it at a couple or stores.
Quad discography says LP is DY quad only release so CD should also be same.

Vinylguy4

Thanks for the heads up.

I wonder if anybody did an a/b comparison of the L.P. with the cd to see if the encoding is still intact.

From what I've read online, the tapes of "The Flame" were long ago lost, and that the CD is made from a needledrop.

It's still wonderful music, however.

J. D.

Not that I've got any actual quad equipment (just albums: one vinyl and one Q8), but...

Who/What is "The Flame"?

Pretty cool if the quad encoding turns out to remain intact for those of y'all who have the equipment.

Who/What is "The Flame"?

South African Pop wunderkinds The Flame were discovered and produced by Beach Boy Carl Wilson and then joined the Boys during heir "Holland"/Brothers Records period. Blondie Chaplin & Ricky Fataar - both great players - more Beatles than Beach Boys. I saw the Beach Boys live during that time at college in 1972 - great band (minus Brian of course).

South African Pop wunderkinds The Flame were discovered and produced by Beach Boy Carl Wilson and then joined the Boys during heir "Holland"/Brothers Records period. Blondie Chaplin & Ricky Fataar - both great players - more Beatles than Beach Boys. I saw the Beach Boys live during that time at college in 1972 - great band (minus Brian of course).

Now in 2007 there is a Beach Boys tour minus Brian, Carl, Dennis and Al.

Good info. Thanks!

No Surround Poll so I thought I would hitch on this one.... a tough one to rate for "Quadiness" but the album is pretty damned good. I finally picked up a vinyl copy. Musically it is very contemporary rock circa 1970-71 with a pop sensibility to it, not unlike Badfinger...who I like (yeah, I even got a Joey Molland autogragh from a concert). It even came with the original typewritten insert showing you how to wire your speakers for Dynaquad. I give it a solid 9. Buy if you can track it down, and it has the Beach Boys pedigree. :) John S.

Blondie Chaplin & Ricky Fataar - both great players - more Beatles than Beach Boys.

I just watched the movie The Rutles, that was Ricky Fataar playing the George Harrison equivalent. Definitely more Beatles than Beach Boys.
George appears elsewhere in the movie.

Vinylguy4

It was The Flame on the original LP and all the books I have.
The website uses both names The Flame and The Flames.
Did they change at some time?

vinylguy4

Attachments

• flame.jpg
    flame.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 228
Hi everybody. Here are some answers for you all.
1. The Flame and the Flames are the same band. In South Africa they were the Flames and in the USA they became the Flame
2. Only the tapes to their South African records are lost. The tapes to their USA recordings are intact.
3. The CD currently on sale is an illegal needle-drop bootleg and should be avoided. A proper reissue is promised in future, very likely including most or all of the unreleased second USA album.
4. The Flame album is a surround recording intended to give a pleasing surround effect on a passive matrix system like Dynaco. Of course its totally compatible with stereo.
5. I made a far better needle-drop than the currrent illegal CD and had Tab Patterson (bless him) decode it into four channels for a DTS version. See his site about that. There is no clear instrumental separation but it sure sounds wonderful.
6. The promised reissue will have all surround coding intact. It is being prepared by the original engineer Steve Desper, one of the world's true audio genuises and an extremely kind and warm human being.
Thats all from Bas Mollenkramer, webmaster of the Flames website www.the-flames.com

Sorry Bas, but I picked up a copy of the CD also (and will gladly buy a Steve Desper mixed copy also! (y) ) and I'd be surprised if that was needle drop. I'm sure my ears are deceiving me but it must have been an absolutely mint copy of the record that they copied. Anyway, the insert states that this was the "first stereo-quad compatible album ever released". A pretty bold statement I thought, but that has probably been verified by someone on our list....is that true? If not, what was the first release...something on Vanguard? John S.

Back