Columbia STEREO-QUAD SAMPLER CLD-427

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fxsuperglide

Just curious if anyone here has heard of this one! I'd seen info posted in the early 90s (in Quadtrade, a mini-publication) about this Columbia quad sampler album with a Paul Revere and The Raiders song that never appeared anywhere else in quad. Not long afterwards, I was fortunate to find this album titled STEREO-QUAD SAMPLER (with a plain white cover - names of songs handwritten on the cover). Although it's SQ, it has the red Columbia stereo labels with the 6 gold COLUMBIA around the perimeter and no SQ logo. What's also said to be truly unique about this album is the fact that the track Hard N Heavy (5 string soul banjo) by Paul Revere and The Raiders is here in quad - and only here! Album Track listing: Minibike (60 seconds of a minibike circling), Hard'N Heavy (Paul Revere and The Raiders), Evil Ways (Santana), The Frost Is Coming (Chelsea Beige), Since You Been Gone (Mongo Santamaria), People (Andy Williams) - SIDE TWO - Company (Original Cast), Swan Lake (Bernstein, NY Philharmonic), Dvorak Quartet (Budapest) Medley from movie themes (Kostelantz), Switched On Bach- Brandenberg Concierto (Walter Carlos). Anyone else have any experience or knowledge of this album? .....If I recall, I remember someone mentioning that it was perhaps one of the very first Columbia SQ demonstration albums, perhaps used at the consumer electronics show to demonstrate the "newly introduced" SQ systems? I wish I had more information. Record label pictures available upon request.

Last edited:
You can always attach a scan of the labels on the message; just keep it below 100k.

Here's a picture of the labels. Oh, I forgot to mention before, two of the songs on side one are in reverse order on the label (Since You Been Gone is after The Frost Is Coming, even though the label states otherwise). As for any official album cover, it is said that it was issued without one (just a plain white jacket). What's unique about this album is the fact it has stereo labels and the fact that at least one (possibly more?) tracks only appeared here in quadraphonic (and nowhere else). Definitely an interesting piece of quadraphonic history.

Attachments

• STEREO QUAD SAMPLER CLD-427 side 1 label.JPG
    STEREO QUAD SAMPLER CLD-427 side 1 label.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 479
  • STEREO QUAD SAMPLER CLD-427 side 2 label.JPG
    STEREO QUAD SAMPLER CLD-427 side 2 label.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:
One thing is not clear for me:
Santana "Evil Ways" is from the first Santana album but this hasn't been mixed in quad until 1974. The version presented here is what?
a) the stereo cut
b) a quad cut probably different from the later-released album
c) the same quad cut as the album?

I suspect c) is not possible, if this was a very early demo disc as it seems; so what mix is?

winopener said:
One thing is not clear for me:
Santana "Evil Ways" is from the first Santana album but this hasn't been mixed in quad until 1974. The version presented here is what?
a) the stereo cut
b) a quad cut probably different from the later-released album
c) the same quad cut as the album?

I suspect c) is not possible, if this was a very early demo disc as it seems; so what mix is?

Yeah, I wondered the same thing myself, since this sampler was said to be issued a whole 3 years before the Santana self titled album, yet Evil Ways is the same mix as the one that appeared on the Santana quad version album some 3 yrs later. I can only theorize how this occured and I would have thought the same thing you were thinking, that perhaps two different mixes were done - but they weren't .....Believe me, I questioned this one myself, yet it is indeed the same mix. Makes me wonder why they took so long to issue the Santana s/t album in quad. My thoughts.

Hopefully Nick (Quad First) or Tad (quadtrade) will chime in. Looks cool to me? Was "Evil Ways" done for the GH release prior to the S/T QLP release. I don't recall.

fxsuperglide said:
Yeah, I wondered the same thing myself, since this sampler was said to be issued a whole 3 years before the Santana self titled album, yet Evil Ways is the same mix as the one that appeared on the Santana quad version album some 3 yrs later. I can only theorize how this occured and I would have thought the same thing you were thinking, that perhaps two different mixes were done - but they weren't .....Believe me, I questioned this one myself, yet it is indeed the same mix. Makes me wonder why they took so long to issue the Santana s/t album in quad. My thoughts.

Columbia issued a paper describing how mixes should be done, it is 40 pages or so in a binder. It based it on how Santana mixes were accomplished, so my guess is that whoever did thoses mixes, was doing them very early on for demo material for execs. I will try and remember to bring it to Chicago IL for the quad meet!!

So.. it's possible they sat on a quad mix of the full first album for 3 years without releasing it?

winopener said:
So.. it's possible they sat on a quad mix of the full first album for 3 years without releasing it?

Well wierd things happen all the time with these companies not knowing one end from the other. Perhaps just issued the newest material and eventually got around to it all with santana.

fxsuperglide said:
Just curious if anyone here has heard of this one! I'd seen info posted in the early 90s (in Quadtrade, a mini-publication) about this Columbia quad sampler album with a Paul Revere and The Raiders song that never appeared anywhere else in quad. Not long afterwards, I was fortunate to find this album titled STEREO-QUAD SAMPLER (with a plain white cover - names of songs handwritten on the cover). Although it's SQ, it has the red Columbia stereo labels with the 6 gold COLUMBIA around the perimeter and no SQ logo. What's also said to be truly unique about this album is the fact that the track Hard N Heavy (5 string soul banjo) by Paul Revere and The Raiders is here in quad - and only here!

I have a Japanese Sony SQ sampler LP With Paul Revere and The Raiders song TIME AFTER TIME which is from the same Hard 'N' Heavy (With Marshmallow) album. I wonder if the whole album was mixed in quad.

Tom

Attachments

• Revere.jpg
    Revere.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 430
Flaquad said:
I have a Japanese Sony SQ sampler LP With Paul Revere and The Raiders song TIME AFTER TIME which is from the same Hard 'N' Heavy (With Marshmallow) album. I wonder if the whole album was mixed in quad.

Tom

Never mind Paul Revere and the Raiders....look at the Al Kooper track "I stand alone"....now if the "I stand Alone" lp or his 2 lp greatest hits collection titled "unclaimed freight" was mixed to quad I'd love a copy of that!

Flaquad said:

Tom

A note of interest about this album:

The track "Season of the Witch" is the same take (though a shorter version) as what appears on the Bloomfield / Kooper/ Stills "Super Session" L.P. However, it is a different mix with more than one person singing in semi-unison.

The other side of the album has "Eli's Coming" by Laura Nyro, which I don't believe was released anywhere else.

Incidentally, "Black Magic Woman" is the same mix as on the SQ Abraxas release.

zabble said:
A note of interest about this album:

The track "Season of the Witch" is the same take (though a shorter version) as what appears on the Bloomfield / Kooper/ Stills "Super Session" L.P. However, it is a different mix with more than one person singing in semi-unison.

The other side of the album has "Eli's Coming" by Laura Nyro, which I don't believe was released anywhere else.

Incidentally, "Black Magic Woman" is the same mix as on the SQ Abraxas release.

yes but how about track 2...that's also a really rare one!!

ChristopherLees said:
yes but how about track 2...that's also a really rare one!!

Yeah, I think it is exclusive to this sampler as well.

Never mind Paul Revere and the Raiders....look at the Al Kooper track "I stand alone"....now if the "I stand Alone" lp or his 2 lp greatest hits collection titled "unclaimed freight" was mixed to quad I'd love a copy of that!

So, Chris, Have you gotten a copy of this?

I somehow managed to bag this one in VG+ cond. from an obscure Japanese online store which appeared on the 8th or 9th page of the googled search...

PM me if you want a copy...;)

So, Chris, Have you gotten a copy of this?

I somehow managed to bag this one in VG+ cond. from an obscure Japanese online store which appeared on the 8th or 9th page of the googled search...

PM me if you want a copy...;)

Yes i bought a copy on ebay some time ago....a great compilation lp for many reasons..most notably all the Al Kooper stuff as even the super seesion mix is radically different from the super session quad lp....it's also been decoded by AOQ and is available from the usual sources.

Hopefully Nick (Quad First) or Tad (quadtrade) will chime in. Looks cool to me? Was "Evil Ways" done for the GH release prior to the S/T QLP release. I don't recall.

Greatest Hits and Santana (1st) appeared almost simultaneously in 1974 along with euphoric glut of Chicago catalog releases.

Tom
Is there an LP cover to scan for us? Could you scan the side 2 label also? That Season Of The Witch mix is mega-weird!

Have we settled which mix of "Evil Ways" is on the album described above? The label says 4:02, which is the same as the quad Santana album, which would mean instead of fading, it ends cold. Correct? I wondered if maybe it was a completely different quad mix.

Back