Please welcome Bob Vosgien to QQ, the mastering engineer of the CTA Quad DTS Disc!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very Important Point. Better dust off first the "unreleased" ones, in order to re-create a market. As much as i love the USA quad mix of "Machine Head" at present time it would be worthless since there has been two different official release of it, sacd=uk quad mix, dvda=new 5.1 remix. Ok, maybe "worthless" is too strong, but for sure a quad Trilogy or Close to the edge would raise many more hands and get out many more bucks, that is what Rhino and others are waiting for. :)

I have to agree with this. if Rhino releases titles already done, I don't think the response will be as great. It is the unreleased titles that will have the desired effect.

Bob,

I'm certainly after anything surround that hasn't been released before as a 1st priority; just wondering if from a financial standpoint if Rhino Handmade ever considered reviving DVD-Audio catalog releases as the mix, approvals and packaging already exist? Minor alterations to the packaging could inform users that they play on ANY DVD player with a DTS or Dolby Digital track just as the CTA DVD does. Got to put everything on the table!

Yesterday I carried my CTA quad DVD and showed it to my doctor (audio buff), audio tech where I drop off gear for repairs, record collector friend at lunch and most especially my guitar tech. In each case , their eyes got BIG and they were excited to know such a thing exists. Having it with you and letting them hold it was just amazing to watch. I'm going to order another copy of the CTA quad DVD for my guitar tech right now.

When they know it exists, they want it! :)

Thanks for the great work on this and waiting anxiously for the next release.

Tim

I have to agree with this. if Rhino releases titles already done, I don't think the response will be as great. It is the unreleased titles that will have the desired effect.

If we really get lucky, it'll be a mix of both unreleased quad mixes in the can, and some available back in the day but would still garner interest now. How CTA sells may well determine that focus in both directions, but right now it would seem previously released quad mixes are going to be Rhino's focus. Support them now, and maybe we'll get some unreleased titles in the future.

ED :)

The original Pink Floyd Quadraphonic Mixes would be great big seller's and should be released "as is" IMHO. "Wish You Were Here" was another great Quad Mix released by them.....

There is reportedly an unreleased Quadraphonic Mix of "Animals" that was supposed to come out on Q8 and SQ Record and was even given catalog numbers and release dates.......

Also, a Quad mix of "Meddle" was reportedly played for the press at one time by the band, so that mix (as well as others) might exist by Pink Floyd.
I know there is no chance of this really happening, but if Rhino could secure the rights to the original PF quad mixes, including the unreleased Meddle and Animals mixes (if they exist)....that would get some attention for the format and run up some nice sales numbers.

Welcome Bob V and thanks for CTA. I have enjoyed my copy and we have something new to talk about around here.

What about te first two ELO albums which were on Harvest, Both were mixed to Quad i believe that only teh first ever got a proper release.

Well, I certainly agree with you guys that the unreleased big name acts would be the best titles for Rhino or Capitol to release. I must warn you guys that any decisions to release any of the mentioned titles will not happen overnight. Just to give you an idea how long things could take, I mastered the CTA disc around eight months ago, and it was just released a month ago.

Mastering these surround projects is by far one of the most satisfying parts of my job here at Capitol Mastering, so rest assured I'll be doing everything I can to get some of these titles to see the light of day again. (y)

Bob

Bob: Here's one "thank you" for both your hard work and taking the time to interact with surround enthusiasts which will not be accompanied by a list of requests.

As someone who does a lot of stereo-to-surround upmixing as a hobby, one of the biggest challenges I've encountered is taking an amateur's shot at remixing flat-sounding first-generation CD titles or older vinyl. I'd love to learn more some day about what true "mastering" entails.

Keep up the great work.

Bob,

Capitol released some very good DVD-Audio discs in the 00s, and a single SACD. Was Dark Side of the Moon going to originally be released as a DVD-A? It seems odd that Capitol would release a single SACD when every other high res release they did was DVD-A.

Also, how close were we to getting more Beatles DVD-A discs from Capitol and Apple.

thanx - steve

Bob,

Capitol released some very good DVD-Audio discs in the 00s, and a single SACD. Was Dark Side of the Moon going to originally be released as a DVD-A? It seems odd that Capitol would release a single SACD when every other high res release they did was DVD-A.

Also, how close were we to getting more Beatles DVD-A discs from Capitol and Apple.

thanx - steve

Hi Steve,
Yes, I was lucky enough to do most of the DVD-A's Capitol put out in the early 2000's. I guess they didn't do very well at the time, so they stopped putting any more out... Dark Side was done much later and I think it was done SACD because that's what Alan Parsons wanted.

I haven't heard anymore news on the Beatles.

Bob

Alan Parsons had nothing to do with the SACD release of DSOTM. It was remixed t0 5.1 from the original multitrack tapes by James Guthrie.

A_L

Bob,
I too wish to say thanks for a great release. Anything you can do at Rhino to encourage more releases is appreciated. DVD-audio and BD Audio is always welcome too as an additional format consideration!
Regards,
Mike

Hi Steve,
Yes, I was lucky enough to do most of the DVD-A's Capitol put out in the early 2000's. I guess they didn't do very well at the time, so they stopped putting any more out... Dark Side was done much later and I think it was done SACD because that's what Alan Parsons wanted.

I haven't heard anymore news on the Beatles.

Bob

Bob,

Did you do Richard Thompson "Rumor and Sigh"? This is a very revered disc around these parts. It's a high-demand DVD-A product and very hard to find. I don't think they made too many of them.

One thing about the Capitol DVD-A's was that the list price was almost $5 higher than WB/Rhino, and that scared a few purchasers away. Some of us, however, bought them all! :D You can find opinions on them in the HiRez Poll section of the forum. Here's the Rumor & Sigh link:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?9059

Al,
Glad to hear you're also a fan of the Crowded House DVD-A which I also mastered.
I'm not involved in the video content of these disc's.

Best,

Bob

I did not know you were involved in the Crowded House one :)
The Crowded House is one of the best examples of a well authored, great sounding DVD-A.
That and the ELP Brain Salad Surgery are the ones I consider the best DVD-A releases EVER!

So , it's not that I don't like your work , it's that I am Not big fan of the CTA release.

BTW, Who should be horse whipped for the anemic video content of the CTA DVD?
Who do I have to talk to to hire me to do the authoring?

Cheers...

Alberto

The CTA disc was perfectly mastered sound wise and sounds great through vintage Quad equipment or my modern set-up "as is" and as it was meant to be. If I want more or less bass / treble I just turn a knob like back in the day, but I don't need to. The mastered disc's recording on CTA was thank god not "ruined" by modern "lossless wars" compression that kills the dynamic range of recordings. All of the dynamics of the original recording are here on the CTA title, mastered by one of the greats of the music industry.

The ELP "Brain Salad Surgery" and Crowded House titles are great, but we're completely different animals, those being remastered from the original master tapes into the modern age of 10 years ago in 5.1 sound. Not original "Quadraphonic" as this faithfully is. I would though recommend reissues of these DVD-A titles (as well as many others) as they are highly sought after and go for big bucks on eBay.

Although we did have a few small releases of Quad material that did come out again, this is the first title if I'm not mistaken, marketed as Quadraphonic, for "Quadraphonic" music fans. With nothing in the Center and LFE channels, as it should be, for what will hopefully be just the beginning in a very long series of Quadraphonic reissues, with many unreleased and familiar titles coming our way soon.

These are serious and extremely important releases of the highest order. For what we have waited Years and Years for and thought would never happen. Let's stay positive here and pray that all the Quad material gets released so that the original Quadraphonic Masters are saved and not lost to the ravages of time before its too late............ We will do our part and buy each and every title that comes our way.

I think we have enough requests in for consideration. I am afraid there is going to be a big gap between all of the titles mentioned, Led Zeppelin catalog, more Chicago, Doobie Brothers, Jethro Tull, Yes, Pink Floyd, etc. and what we actually see from Rhino but whatever it turns out to be, I am looking forward to it. Maybe Rhino could make a technological statement, release the Doors Perception box set on a single Blu-ray disc with a second disc to include the best available Doors concerts.

Chris

Whoa!!
Welcome Bob, I read all this thread and I'm very happy you're on this board!

If I have to vote for a reissue quad title in dvd/brd I'd vote for ZZ Top Tres Hombres, I prefer it over the original stereo pressing, guitars sound more present than vinyl press and I love Gibbons laugh on "...you know what I'm talkin' about" which was muted on stereo version.
And it's nice how they put the drums on mix, front/back instead of left/right

Welcome Bob. I guess I have both your mixes (CTA & Crowded House) & they sound great. Just keep bringing them out & I'll buy them (hopefully uncompressed on Blu).
Nuff said.

The CTA disc was perfectly mastered sound wise and sounds great through vintage Quad equipment or my modern set-up "as is" and as it was meant to be. If I want more or less bass / treble I just turn a knob like back in the day, but I don't need to. The mastered disc's recording on CTA was thank god not "ruined" by modern "lossless wars" compression that kills the dynamic range of recordings. All of the dynamics of the original recording are here on the CTA title, mastered by one of the greats of the music industry.

The ELP "Brain Salad Surgery" and Crowded House titles are great, but we're completely different animals, those being remastered from the original master tapes into the modern age of 10 years ago in 5.1 sound. Not original "Quadraphonic" as this faithfully is. I would though recommend reissues of these DVD-A titles (as well as many others) as they are highly sought after and go for big bucks on eBay.

Although we did have a few small releases of Quad material that did come out again, this is the first title if I'm not mistaken, marketed as Quadraphonic, for "Quadraphonic" music fans. With nothing in the Center and LFE channels, as it should be, for what will hopefully be just the beginning in a very long series of Quadraphonic reissues, with many unreleased and familiar titles coming our way soon.

These are serious and extremely important releases of the highest order. For what we have waited Years and Years for and thought would never happen. Let's stay positive here and pray that all the Quad material gets released so that the original Quadraphonic Masters are saved and not lost to the ravages of time before its too late............ We will do our part and buy each and every title that comes our way.

Jim,
Thanks so much for the kind words on the mastering of the CTA disc. Your observations are amazingly spot on with regards to what I was trying to achieve with the mastering of this disc.
The volume control on our home systems really is a great device isn't it?
(y)
Bob

Whoa!!
Welcome Bob, I read all this thread and I'm very happy you're on this board!

If I have to vote for a reissue quad title in dvd/brd I'd vote for ZZ Top Tres Hombres, I prefer it over the original stereo pressing, guitars sound more present than vinyl press and I love Gibbons laugh on "...you know what I'm talkin' about" which was muted on stereo version.
And it's nice how they put the drums on mix, front/back instead of left/right

Tres Hombres? One of my favorite albums!
I need to make a phone call....

Back