Gentle Giant's "Free Hand" and "In'terview" coming on DVD audio in february..

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still in the middle of nowhere...

Amazon UK sometimes has a free shipping offers (see below) - interesting that the're all Commonwealth countries (or should I say "ex colonies")::eek:

Super Saver Delivery to Other International destinations

Amazon.co.uk offers FREE Super Saver Delivery to the following countries (offer ends January 15, 2012):

Australia, India, New Zealand and South Africa.

Interesting...

I have The Power and the Glory on vinyl and I like the interweaving melodies; it sounded great in stereo. Would love to hear this in surround. Not heard Free hand or In'terview, so waiting to hear the reviews here.

I just finished listening to both discs (DTS 4.1, 96/24), and I'm very happy. The sound is really great and the mix is discreet as one could wish for. Finally the best album (Free Hand) of the best prog-rock band ever (just my oppinion...) in surround!

I have these on order from amazon uk. Looking forward to them, I have their first six LPs acquired as they came out. Also heard them in concert winter 75-76 in Reading, UK. Best rock concert I ever attended. They had a quad sound system and it really surprised the audience. It was cool how they swapped around on the instruments. Mucho talented.

Well I got Free Hand in the mail today (In'terview should be with me tomorrow) and I think the surround mix has been botched at some point. I think the front and rear channels have been reversed on one side, so lead vocals/bass guitar/drums come from the front left and rear right. I swapped the cables on my player so that this was rectified and everything sounds way more cohesive - I will do some more listening to this and maybe rip it to my hard drive at some point to verify. Perhaps someone else with this disc could let me know if they're having the same issues.

The good news is the mix is in excellent fidelity and very very active. Exactly what you'd want from a circa 1975 quad mix!

Well I got Free Hand in the mail today (In'terview should be with me tomorrow) and I think the surround mix has been botched at some point. I think the front and rear channels have been reversed on one side, so lead vocals/bass guitar/drums come from the front left and rear right. I swapped the cables on my player so that this was rectified and everything sounds way more cohesive - I will do some more listening to this and maybe rip it to my hard drive at some point to verify. Perhaps someone else with this disc could let me know if they're having the same issues.

The good news is the mix is in excellent fidelity and very very active. Exactly what you'd want from a circa 1975 quad mix!

I am also loving this mix but I will have to check to see if my disc is also having the same issue. Will get back to you in a couple hours. I hope these two DVDs can be put up in a poll soon. Seen that some people on other forums are on the fence about these.

I am also loving this mix but I will have to check to see if my disc is also having the same issue. Will get back to you in a couple hours. I hope these two DVDs can be put up in a poll soon. Seen that some people on other forums are on the fence about these.

I listened to it (while browsing the Internet, so I was not concentrated on it) and there was nothing that interrupted my pleasure in listening. Probably I missed the effect. Perhaps it was made by intention to show the possibilities of quad-sound in 1975?!?

Markus

Now that these discs have hit the streets can anyone tell us if they are also in 2 channel and if so at what resolution

Now that these discs have hit the streets can anyone tell us if they are also in 2 channel and if so at what resolution

Oh, I forgot to do that here. Posted about the stereo track a couple days ago on SH Forums. It is 96/24 PCM Stereo track from the Original Analogue Master. Saw a glowing review about the PCM Stereo Mix from the forums there for both DVDs.

Review for PCM Stereo Mix for Free Hand and In'terview [URL="http://stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?

Yes the cover says 96/24 LPCM stereo on both I have no reason to doubt it.

The DTS is 4.1 and there is a rather superfluous Dulby 4.1 as well

I don't think I've seen it spelled out yet....but I take it that these are not DVD-A, but 96/24 DTS DVD-V discs? That will not stop me from acquiring them, of course. I only own the somewhat muddled mix of the King Biscuit CD- NY Academy of Music performance, but I've heard them over the years on the occasional radio cut. I'll see if my local guy can order these today. John

New avatar is quadraphonic music circa 1902, via Edison listening tubes.......

Last edited:
Yes - DTS DVDs.

I went with Amazon.com (March date) for Free Hand and will probably go for Interview later. Wish it was The Power And The Glory, oh well.

Back