HiRez Poll Los Angeles Guitar Quartet (LAGQ) - GUITAR HEROES [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of the Los Angeles Guitar Quartet - GUITAR HEROES

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this HiRez release. (y):phones(n)

This is a 10 for me. I simply cannot describe the feeling of sitting in my sweet spot with one classical guitar coming from each of the four corners. Just glorious.

As for the music, rating is generally an exercise in futility. There will be things here people might not appreciate, but who's to say? I will, however, point out one thing: On Chet Atkins' "Blue Echo", the four guitarists similate an echo machine. It starts in the RF, then "echos" in the RS, then the LS, and lastly in the LF, each time a little quieter. This has been a surround demo for me - it never ceases to amaze.

So the content is classical guitars - some aren't familiar with classical guitar music, so they owe it to themselves to check it out. The mix is completely agressive in the most soothing way. So that's why I gave it a 10 - it is a MUST HAVE disc.

And, while you're at it, you might as well save on shipping and buy "Latin" as well.

Paul

This is a 10 for me. I simply cannot describe the feeling of sitting in my sweet spot with one classical guitar coming from each of the four corners. Just glorious.

As for the music, rating is generally an exercise in futility. There will be things here people might not appreciate, but who's to say? I will, however, point out one thing: On Chet Atkins' "Blue Echo", the four guitarists similate an echo machine. It starts in the RF, then "echos" in the RS, then the LS, and lastly in the LF, each time a little quieter. This has been a surround demo for me - it never ceases to amaze.

So the content is classical guitars - some aren't familiar with classical guitar music, so they owe it to themselves to check it out. The mix is completely agressive in the most soothing way. So that's why I gave it a 10 - it is a MUST HAVE disc.

And, while you're at it, you might as well save on shipping and buy "Latin" as well.

Paul

Totally agree. This one is an excellent demonstration of what Surround Sound can do. The performances are standouts and the interplay between the guitarists (and channels) are really something.

I'm also a fan of the Chet Atkins tribute at the end of the SACD. Great stuff!

I agree with Paul that this is a MUST HAVE disc for surround fans, simply because of the mix. "Blue Echo" is just too cool, from a recording and performance perspective. The entire disc is first rate! I think it's a 10.

Dennis :sun

The guitars are classical but the music is not. These are contemporary pieces. Includes a wonderful rendition of Steve Howe's Mood for a Day (Yes: Fragile). I bought this based on the previous posts and I'm so glad I did. Highly recommend.

Rated as one of the top surround discs of all time by Sound & Vision!

I better get this one while it's still gettable! :D

Rated as one of the top surround discs of all time by Sound & Vision!

I better get this one while it's still gettable! :D

No argument there!

But be sure to also pick up LAGQ's "Latin" Surround SACD as well. Another amazing Surround Sound SACD by the group !

Can't believe that I hadn't voted in this poll until now. Ditto what everyone else has said -- one of my very favorite surround discs (LAGQs' "Latin" and "Brazil" are great too, but if I had to choose just one it would be Guitar Heroes.)

Mark Z

The guitars are classical but the music is not. These are contemporary pieces. Includes a wonderful rendition of Steve Howe's Mood for a Day (Yes: Fragile). I bought this based on the previous posts and I'm so glad I did. Highly recommend.

OK - I've just ordered this for 3 (no 4) reasons:

1. You guys say it's good....
2. Mood for a Day (as above)
3. It's the only disc in the top 10 of the Hi-rez poll that I don't have :smokin
4. It's available at CDWOW and they have a 10% off sale on today...(no - I'm not on a commission) :eek:

I love this disc. Clever arrangements performed brilliantly. Others have described the instrument placement. it's endlessly entertaining. The Chet Atkins tribute makes for a perfect surround demo track.

I love this disc. Clever arrangements performed brilliantly. Others have described the instrument placement. it's endlessly entertaining. The Chet Atkins tribute makes for a perfect surround demo track.

Agreed. Great 5.1 SACD Surround Sound disc. Love the music and the Surround Mix. If you like Chet Atkins, don't forget the '70s Quad album on CD-4 Quadradisc "Superpickers" with Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and a host of Nashville Studio Stars.

OK then - another one acquired based on poll position and above reviews. And what a wonderful treat... Just a brilliant listening experience. Stage 1: surround sound bliss. Stage 2: Highly engaging music, tremendous performance, superbly rendered. Step 3: Another musical vista opening up. Always nice to be still discovering fresh music in my dotage. Ha! Wasn't entirely sure about the 'flamenco' remake of Mood For A Day - initially. Of course, after a few listens it settles into place - and now complements Howe's original very nicely indeed. The surround experience doesn't endure, of course, if the music and performance are not excellent. So, given the quality of the artists and their pieces, what a delight to sit in the middle of the 4 guitarists and relish the interplay, harmony, and creative support and discordance along the way. With a lot of sparkle, fun, and tenderness along the way. A 10!

What's not to like about this? It's basically a modern day Tony Mottola & The Quad Guitars, but with better music and fidelity. Easy 10.

The only other thing I'll note is that you really need to crank this disc to appreciate it - it's mastered at a very low level.

"Aire Para Un Dia (Mood For A Day):
mood_LAGQ.jpg

"Blue Echo/Country Gentlemen":
blueecho_LAGQ.png

Back