HiRez Poll Yes - THE YES ALBUM [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Yes - THE YES ALBUM

• Total voters
Surprising then that Tim, Bob and Jon haven't yet given us their own opinions and votes on this wonderful disc :mad:@: !

I figured you were all sick of me raving about SW mixed new releases. Heck, one (former) member flamed out and, well, you know the story, because he thought I was some SW lackey.

Needless to say, you are all finding out on your own now that this is a winner. A true winner. How could it not be?

I figured you were all sick of me raving about SW mixed new releases. Heck, one (former) member flamed out and, well, you know the story, because he thought I was some SW lackey.

Needless to say, you are all finding out on your own now that this is a winner. A true winner. How could it not be?

Is there anyone else currently "carrying the torch" for 5.1 the way SW is?

No no no Jon. There are always unhappy people who seem to be able to only contribute negatively. Don't let those clowns ruin the party. Please provide all the input
you can generate! (y) And thanks again for these polls and what behind the scenes efforts that you do contribute. :banana: :banana: :banana:

No no no Jon. There are always unhappy people who seem to be able to only contribute negatively. Don't let those clowns ruin the party. Please provide all the input
you can generate! (y) And thanks again for these polls and what behind the scenes efforts that you do contribute. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Here here.

Well lupin man, have you got this yet, and if so what do you think (other than the obligatory 10 vote)? I have to say that The Yes Album is very possibly my favourite surround release ever (to date of course).

This is YES.

[/B]Ok, sorry boys, this gets a 10 ;) (y) :banana: :yikes :D :sun :smokin :phones

It arrived last night from Steven Wilson's website. Not bad a wait for coming from across the ocean. I did pre-order it, btw....

Ok after listening to it, I can't believe I am about to do this(yes, I will actually modify my pre-vote of 10....)

The mix is in fact very adventurous & different. When I first played YIND, there seemed to be so much coming out of the center channel I thought
my disc had the 5.1 "mono" mix. :mad:@: Ater a while it settled in to my ears and I was reminded that when Steven Wilson does a 5.1 mix he will use all the
channels equally so you better have a well balanced 5 full range speaker system!. It was fabulous to hear Tony Kaye's Hammond screaming from the two back channels!

Any time a professional mixes something into 5.1 that was recorded originally into 2.0, well, there can be no reference 5.1 mix. There are frankly a billion possible choices to be made to use up all the new found sonic space. So, I am not picky about a mix because it will always be one professional's choices & opinion. For me, I enjoy SW mixes and TYA is no exception. I am thrilled to death to add TYA to my precious collection of discrete 5.1 mixes and the 3rd classic YES recording as such.

I must now vote TYA by Steven Wilson & NW and some outstanding peeps here who helped on it as an:

wait for it..... ;)

Number_11.jpg

P.S. @Timbre4: Congrats on your contributions here. I didn't know you were involved. Well done Laddie! :sun :smokin :phones

P.S. II. FWIW, I bought 2 copies of the BluRay. I love my SACDs & DVD-Audio discs but I have moved on and I will be buying BluRay when given the choice. As an old analog tech, I have finally gone ALL HDMI. The only analog cables in my stereo are my speaker wires. I just really love the ease and power of HDMI.

A 10. My quibbles are so minor they're not worth docking SW a point. Excellent surround remix job.

Now, can someone explain to me what the 'Original Mix' vs the 'Original Mix (archived master)' is? They certainly sound different to me, EQ-wise.

The mix is in fact very adventurous & different. When I first played YIND, there seemed to be so much coming out of the center channel I thought
my disc had the 5.1 "mono" mix. :mad:@: Ater a while it settled in to my ears and I was reminded that when Steven Wilson does a 5.1 mix he will use all the
channels equally so you better have a well balanced 5 full range speaker system!. It was fabulous to hear Tony Kaye's Hammond screaming from the two back channels!

You don't need 5 full range speakers and in fact, might achieve smoother bass coverage using a satellite/sub(s) setup . You *do* want five tonally equivalent speakers, though.

The center did not seem overly active to me, btw. This is a very well-balanced mix, to my ears.

I just submitted the TYA BDA to the new SA-CD.net database (all revamped now they've incorporated Blu-ray Audio over there into their site) so hopefully that'll get it even more attention :)

Got the Blu Ray today. Haven't had a chance to spin it yet as we were busy watching playoff hockey. However, I rip all of my stuff to a PC - did that in-between periods. Came up with a question for Neil (or anyone else that might know). Here's what I see for the Titles on the Blu Ray based on DVD Audio Extractor... I'm utterly clueless when it comes to authoring, so I may just not be seeing the whole picture.
Titles 1-7 Versions of the complete album, no track breaks (8-14 have individual tracks)
Title 8 - New Mixes (Stereo, 5.1) 24/96
Title 9 - Original Stereo Mix 24/192
Title 10 - Alternate Album 24/96
Title 11 - Single Versions, Edits & Live 24/96
Title 12 - Instrumental Mix 24/96
Title 13 - ??? 24/96 Stereo
Title 14 - Needle Drop 24/96

So what the heck is Title 13? It is 24/96 & has the same running time as the 24/192 original mix. Is this simply a 24/96 version of the original mix? The wave form for Yours Is No Disgrace looks a little different, so I wasn't sure... Anyway thanks & I'll get a review on as soon as I get a chance to spend some time with it... Can't wait!

Title 13 is a surprise. Have a listen to it.....don't just look at waveforms.

The reason this - and CTTE - is slightly lower in level compared to a lot of other titles is simply this::
These are not brickwalled for volume. This is something we simply never do as it is far easier to turn up louder by 6-10dB on a flick of the wrist, and it will simply get louder - but with brickwalled content turning up starts to hurt ears, and personally makes me want to turn OFF rather than down - I hate it when every time a snare or hi-hats get hit the excessive limiting makes me wince. Additionally, the mixesa are all approved by Artist & Management as they stand - so why would I screw with this? Transients should have room to breathe, and I refuse to subscribe to the "no peak shall pass unshaved" mentality that mutilates a lot of releases.
Mastering is 99% of the time misunderstood too - it is supposed to be about preparing an approved mix for it's intended release media and not the last chance to fuck with the sonics. With this in mind, all we ever really do to Steven's mixes is filter the LFE and occasionally level match, cross-fade, add PQ points etc - this is also mastering. Some mixes need help - usually this is when monitoring is not quite right, or a room is not quite right, and we will correct where needed. But speaking as a mix engineer instead of an ME, altering the sonics on Steven's work is very similar to touching up an Old Master like Leonardo, Poussin or Matisse.

A 10. My quibbles are so minor they're not worth docking SW a point. Excellent surround remix job.

Now, can someone explain to me what the 'Original Mix' vs the 'Original Mix (archived master)' is? They certainly sound different to me, EQ-wise.

I was wondering this too. The 'Original Mix' shows as 24/192 whereas the 'Original Mix (archived master)' shows as 24/96. I have only had time so far to listen to snippets from each of these (there is so much to listen to in this package), but I agree, they certainly sound different, the 'Original Mix (archived master)' sounds a little harsher to my ears.

Any help with this conundrum please Mr Wilkes? Is this the mysterious Title 13?

Well, this was well worth the wait!
Got my CD/Blu-Ray copy in today from Burning Shed (CD/DVD-A should be arriving soon as well)

After just one listen I knew I couldn't give this disc any less than a '10'! I was amazed just how POWERFUL it sounds. There is now more depth and clarity than I have ever heard before. It blows the original stereo mix to Neptune (and that's one of Eddie Offord's better mixes!)
"Yours Is No Disgrace" to me is THE highlight, but the "Wurm" section of "Starship Trooper" and "Perpetual Change" also have their amazing moments as well.
It was also cool to check out the extended mix of "A Venture", and the 5.1 mix of that track (while not extended) still sounds great too.
I skipped over "Clap" as it's just an up mix and didn't really do anything for me to begin with.
"I've Seen All Good People" didn't impress me as much as the others, but it could also be the fact that I'm so tired of hearing that track, lol

If you haven't ordered a copy of this reissue, grab your credit card, run to your nearest internet connected computer, and DO IT!!! :D :51banana:

PS: So nice to see the Disc Tester names listed in this one (as I don't think they were for "Close to the Edge") and Neil's work continues to look as amazing as ever! :)

Well, this was well worth the wait!
Got my CD/Blu-Ray copy in today from Burning Shed (CD/DVD-A should be arriving soon as well)

After just one listen I knew I couldn't give this disc any less than a '10'! I was amazed just how POWERFUL it sounds. There is now more depth and clarity than I have ever heard before. It blows the original stereo mix to Neptune (and that's one of Eddie Offord's better mixes!)
"Yours Is No Disgrace" to me is THE highlight, but the "Wurm" section of "Starship Trooper" and "Perpetual Change" also have their amazing moments as well.
It was also cool to check out the extended mix of "A Venture", and the 5.1 mix of that track (while not extended) still sounds great too.
I skipped over "The Clap" as it's just an up mix and didn't really do anything for me to begin with.
"I've Seen All Good People" didn't impress me as much as the others, but it could also be the fact that I'm so tired of hearing that track, lol

If you haven't ordered a copy of this reissue, grab your credit card, run to your nearest internet connected computer, and DO IT!!! :D :51banana:

PS: So nice to see the Disc Tester names listed in this one (as I don't think they were for "Close to the Edge") and Neil's work continues to look as amazing as ever! :)

'Clap' not 'The Clap'!! The upmix of this still sounds pretty good. I was surprised the 5.1 of A Venture wasn't the extended mix.

Like your new avatar!

Come on, give it up... WHAT IS TITLE 13!

Pretty sure colsky nailed it - 'Original Mix (archived master)'. I popped in the Blu Ray this morning before work & fiddled around a bit. That menu item is in the Blu Ray, but not on the packaging or advertisement material I saw online. So the next question is, what exactly is:
'Original Mix (archived master)'

:D

- from the little bit I listened to, it is "punchier" than the 24/192 Original mix, but that impression is truly from only a couple minutes comparison. Hoping to get time this weekend to listen in detail...

Back