10 Most Overlooked (non-surround) Albums

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Again Linda!
I have bid on ebay for the Analogue Productions vinyl edition. I am not adverse to digital, but find vinyl more convenient. I do play DVD-A's via my Panasonic DVD changer. Unfortunately it isn't SACD capable and I have a hard time spending the money on a hybrid to play the CD layer. I hope to buy an Oppo in the future, but there are other equipment priorities for now. I enjoy Oxford Dickie's disc conversions and my vinyl collection about equal. If it is a choice between a good LP pressing or a standard CD, I go for the vinyl. Lets hope I win and then I can let you know how I like the album.
Thanks for your recommendation!
Matthew
Circular Vibes, I've not heard it in vinyl. Like most SACD's, this one is a hybrid, so it will play on any CD player. As with many SACD's, it is out of print, and is priced at $75 today. If you're strictly interested in vinyl, it is in print on an Analogue Productions LP. tower.com also lists the Mobile Fidelity Gold CD as being in print. Either if these would be my choice, as they're likely to sound the best. There are also available CD's on Shout Factory and Collectibles, which would be the lowest cost new CD's. Clearly, this is a classic album.

Happy Listening!

There's a CD/album called "The Hoops McCann Band", which is a jazz/instrumental group that plays Steely Dan tunes. It was released on MCA at the dawn of the CD era. I bought it on an impulse buy, and thought it was pretty good.

Now that I think of it, I should try and run this disc through SPEC. I wonder how it would sound in surround.

At any rate, if you like Steely Dan and instrumentals, this disc is well worth seeking out. It's rare, but it's not that expensive when you find it:

http://www.amazon.com/Hoops-McCann-Plays-Music-Steely/dp/B000008BAJ

http://www.broberg.pp.se/hoops_mccann.htm

There's a great disc with Chicago's own Marian McPartland interviewing Dalter Fecker & Wonald Bagan. They play a bit, as well. It was in print for a short time. Don't forget the WONDERFUL New York Rock & Roll Review, w/ Becker, Fagan, Scaggs, McDonald, Snow, etc. I saw them live.

Great stuff, knock on wood!

There's a CD/album called "The Hoops McCann Band", which is a jazz/instrumental group that plays Steely Dan tunes. It was released on MCA at the dawn of the CD era. I bought it on an impulse buy, and thought it was pretty good.

Now that I think of it, I should try and run this disc through SPEC. I wonder how it would sound in surround.

At any rate, if you like Steely Dan and instrumentals, this disc is well worth seeking out. It's rare, but it's not that expensive when you find it:

http://www.amazon.com/Hoops-McCann-Plays-Music-Steely/dp/B000008BAJ

http://www.broberg.pp.se/hoops_mccann.htm

There's a CD/album called "The Hoops McCann Band", which is a jazz/instrumental group that plays Steely Dan tunes.

"6:05
Outside the stadium
Special delivery
For Hoops McCann
Brut and charisma
Poured from the shadow where he stood
Looking good
He's a crowd pleasing man..."

Do you know if there's any special meaning to the name?

Hey DKA, it was the same for me about ABC. Found out about "Traffic" only a year ago, pretty big surprise! And I really recommend it, it combines all the things that made this group lovable - sounds like something released between Lexicon of Love and Beauty Stab.

Linda, never listened to "Raoul"... I bought the Dutch "Ultimate Collection" a while ago for the stellar 32-bit remastering, but I'm not too impressed with the tracks off Raoul. I was surprised about some great stuff from "Seeds of Love" though, an album which I didn't know in its entirety before either.

"6:05

Linda, never listened to "Raoul"... I bought the Dutch "Ultimate Collection" a while ago for the stellar 32-bit remastering, but I'm not too impressed with the tracks off Raoul. I was surprised about some great stuff from "Seeds of Love" though, an album which I didn't know in its entirety before either.

High time we made a stand to shake up the views of the common man...You better love lovin' and you'd better behave. Woman in chains...So FREE them! What an incredibly sensitive man! Roland/Raoul has my undying respect!!

Captain Beyond (well, this might be in cult territory, but still there's got to be fans of similar music that haven't heard it)

I wholeheartedly agree with Captain Beyond, both their eponymous album and Sufficiently Breathless. I'd love to hear both in surround.

Others on my list might not be as obscure as some of the others in this thread, but I think they deserve wider recognition.

Doyle Bramhall II & Smokestack - Welcome
Tommy Bolin - Teaser
Budgie - Impeckable
Utopia - Ra
David Bromberg - You Should See the Rest of the Band
Crack the Sky - Safety in Numbers
Lone Star - Firing on all Six
The Pursuit of Happiness - Love Junk

Ra! Crack The Sky! Pursuit of Happiness! Yep, those would be on my list too. Saw Pursuit at an outdoor show in my home town. Really good.

I saw them in a club on their Love Junk tour. Yes, they were very good.

Another one I'd add to my list would be Armageddon's only album.

Back