Quad LP/Tape Poll Tomita: The Planets [CD-4/Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "The Planets"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

• Total voters
For brevity, I didn't list the DS Telarc titles by name. Disclord, you're thinking of Come on in this House by Junior Wells. I had a DTS-CD, which I returned to a friend at Tower and traded for the SACD when that came out. This title may have come out first in DS, though I didn't own it if it did. I was referring to a compilation from '98 called Keep on Steppin, aka Best of Junior Wells Telarc CD-83444 and Everybody's Getting Some, a DS/Spatializer 3D release from '95 Telarc CD-83360. Santana & Bonnie Raitt guest. BTW: anyone missing Come on in this House on SACD-multi is missing great performances & fidelity!

I've seen several labels that stamped sample, demo or promo on promo CD's.

Linda
Purloining the Planets thread

Yep, it's "Come on in this House", which is a wonderful DTS CD, so if it sounds much better on SACD, it must be mind blowing. When I bought my Hughes SRS Retriever I almost bought the Spatializer 3D box too because Sound City was blowing them out for $29 bucks, but I cheaped out. Pioneer Video used Spatializer 3D on a number of their early DVD releases like "Gargoyles".

In the early day's of the CD format, when my family owned a video rental/electronics store, we got demo CD's and stuff from CBS/Sony and they'd usually have a "promo" or "Sample" sticker on the jacket, case or disc itself - or just be a drill-out, but the DTS CD's were the first time I'd seen it stamped directly on the disc label. I have some MCA DiscoVision LaserDiscs that have "REJECT" literally embossed into the playing surface - I assume so they couldn't accidentally be repackaged and sold.

I love reading your posts, Linda. They're not only fun, but informative.

....I have some MCA DiscoVision LaserDiscs that have "REJECT" literally embossed into the playing surface - I assume so they couldn't accidentally be repackaged and sold.

Were they still playable?

There is an older website (circa 1996) that listed some of the Dolby Surround releases.....but I am also too lazy to research and this was discussed in the distant past here, but one to add was "Symphonic Music of Yes". John

This was mentioned as being a re-recording elsewhere on this forum.

It's not on the original label, so that seems to confirm it.

I love this version. This was my introduction to Tomita. I had heard rumblings and decided to check it out. My first copy was on Q8. My second was cd. I was kind of bummed when I realized parts of the album were cut to fit the tape (like they couldn't have made it a bit longer). I had heard Todd Rundgren was doing up an animated video/movie using Tomita's version, but it never got released due to objections by Holst's estate.

Which reminds why I like this so much - the way Tomita put it together one could imagine some beings in a space ship - the "talking synth" stuff - traveling along with this music in the background. I started to purchase all of Tomita's stuff on Q8 when I could afford it. Unfortunately this was close to the demise of quad and stuff got harder to find. I do have Snowflakes, Kosmos, Greatest Hits and Firebird along with Planets.

Again, great album in surround!

My 2nd favorite Tomita quad, right after Pictures, super. I vote 9. Just got the sacd ultimate, and in comparison they are both a 10. So i just changed my vote on this to a 10.

Last edited:
Tomita never fails to impress musically and mix-wise, and this has become one of my favorites. The quad reel sounds phenomenal. 10

Back