HiRez Poll Marley, Bob - LEGEND (30th Anniversary) [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Bob Marley - LEGEND (30th Anniversary Edition)

• 5 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Bad Fidelity, Bad Surround Bad Content

• Total voters
Not available on Amazon UK at all.
They are still flogging the 1 disc version.
Is there a UK source for this at all???

Oh my goodness - I think I really do prefer the PCM stereo, which I listened to properly for the first time this morning. It is wonderful - coherent, strong, and the music really throws itself out into the room, so it feels even more immersive than the surround version. Not as dispersed, obviously - but that maybe a strength, actually. I have already fallen in love with the 5.1 version, but this is the first time in my experience in which I really prefer the PCM stereo. It is very powerful and very satisfying. Maybe I need to back and revisit the PCM stereo layer on my other surround sound albums?!

I wonder if the extra power you're hearing in the Stereo vs Surround, is because the Stereo is compressed compared to the Surround and so at same master volume the Stereo sounds a fair bit louder and maybe more ballsy or impressive than the Surround?

I wonder if the extra power you're hearing in the Stereo vs Surround, is because the Stereo is compressed compared to the Surround and so at same master volume the Stereo sounds a fair bit louder and maybe more ballsy or impressive than the Surround?

I never even listen to the stereo section of my surround discs, especially ones that have superb surround qualities.

Hi Fredblue - hmmm! You are right, of course. If i I start raising the volume on both, the surround has a lot more runway, while the PCM stereo gets overpowering and uncomfortable. Or maybe my olde ears need that compression these days. Aarrgghhh!:yikes

Hi Fredblue - hmmm! You are right, of course. If i I start raising the volume on both, the surround has a lot more runway, while the PCM stereo gets overpowering and uncomfortable. Or maybe my olde ears need that copressions these days. Aarrgghhh!:yikes

Gotta chime in here with a few thoughts. After a few listens I liked it a lot and gave it a 9 mainly just because of Could You Be Loved not sounding as good as the rest and for the use of the studio version of No Woman No Cry. I've had quite a few more listens including some late nights in a Bob Marley state of mind (it's cool-I live in Colorado) and have come to the conclusion that this is even better than I first thought. For one, I've really come to appreciate the studio version of NWNC, although I'd have to admit that if the live version had this good of a mix, I'd love it too. But more than that, despite the one song being of lesser quality, I've decided that when Stir It Up or Exodus (or most any other song on the disc) are playing, my stereo sounds as good as it ever does. This is a demo disc for me. Not only does the mix work perfectly with the music, it's just such a great recording. This has become one of my absolute favorites and, despite its minor flaws, I think it is one of the best sounding discs out there. Highly recommend to anyone that even remotely thinks they might like the music.

Also, I called my sound system a stereo. It's an old school, generic name for what I use to play music. Anyone else still use that term? Seems the easiest thing to call it even if it now includes 6 speakers, hard drives and network cables.

K

Hi Fredblue - hmmm! You are right, of course. If i I start raising the volume on both, the surround has a lot more runway, while the PCM stereo gets overpowering and uncomfortable. Or maybe my olde ears need that compression these days. Aarrgghhh!:yikes

Ah ha! There we go (y) From the DR numbers the 5.1 should have a good bit more juice left in the tank before it gets really loud compared to the Stereo :)

Gotta chime in here with a few thoughts. After a few listens I liked it a lot and gave it a 9 mainly just because of Could You Be Loved not sounding as good as the rest and for the use of the studio version of No Woman No Cry. I've had quite a few more listens including some late nights in a Bob Marley state of mind (it's cool-I live in Colorado) and have come to the conclusion that this is even better than I first thought. For one, I've really come to appreciate the studio version of NWNC, although I'd have to admit that if the live version had this good of a mix, I'd love it too. But more than that, despite the one song being of lesser quality, I've decided that when Stir It Up or Exodus (or most any other song on the disc) are playing, my stereo sounds as good as it ever does. This is a demo disc for me. Not only does the mix work perfectly with the music, it's just such a great recording. This has become one of my absolute favorites and, despite its minor flaws, I think it is one of the best sounding discs out there. Highly recommend to anyone that even remotely thinks they might like the music.

Also, I called my sound system a stereo. It's an old school, generic name for what I use to play music. Anyone else still use that term? Seems the easiest thing to call it even if it now includes 6 speakers, hard drives and network cables.

K

I have recommended this disc to people who don't even like this type of music; no complaints so far. I'm warming up a little to NWNC, still prefer the other version but this one is growing on me. You need to go back to back with Bob Marley then put on Moondance, that will put you in to the right frame of mind. In space I have a lot of time for reflection and that works for me.

Great stuff! The mixes are uniformly excellent (the upmixed 'Could You Be Loved' notwithstanding). The expansion to 5 channels really allows the arrangements to breathe and better highlights the subtle and restrained performances of the musicians. There are some nice added bits that I quite enjoyed such as the vocal 'In the Mood' intro to 'Buffalo Soldier. My guess is that the 3 alternate versions were included due to lack of available multitrack tapes. Studio 'No Woman' is nice enough but cannot match the emotional depth of the live version IMO. 'Skanking' and 'Punky' are good performances and mixes but I miss the I-Threes!

I get the impression that for many 'Legend' was their introduction to Bob hence the reverence for it not usually afforded compilations. Fair enough, it is excellent. But I worry it has overshadowed the original LPs - many of which are absolute classics. I hope they can someday receive similar surround treatment. A solid 9.

I got this because of all the good comments about it on this forum. I love this place and I've just noticed this is my 300th post :D. I can't say l'm a big reggae fan, but I'm loving this disc. The 5.1 mix, apart from Could You Be Loved, is outstanding, real demo quality. My favourite track is Exodus, which gets my 2 and 4 year old kids up and dancing every time (well the whole album does really!) (y)

I went from The Power and the Glory to Legend today and the Marley sounded amazing...This disc is reference/demo material. I voted 10 but would give 11 easy. The sound quality is nothing short of phenomenal. The mix is great with no gimmicks which this type of music needs none of. Content wise, I have always liked Bob Marley. Enjoy him even more on this one. Need more like this.

Has anyone had problems with this blu-ray as far as manufacturing defects? I have orderd two copys of this album, from two different sources, both the blu-ray discs had the same manufacuring defect. It's looks like two parallel lines of tiny bubbles or something. You can see where the lines terminate on the edge of the disc. The lines are opposite each other, about a half inch from the edge of the disc. The CDs had a similar defect.

I received both Bob Marley Legend 30th Anniversary...and Bryan Adams Reckless today. Played Reckless first.....then put in Bob Marley. Contest over.

Marley gets a solid 10. Superb mix, clean.

Looks like I bought the 'old' BluRay (2.0 only) by mistake. No biggie, but what's supposedly wrong with it (other than not being 5.1)? Heck, it says 'pure audio'! :D

Back