A Guide to the Stones Remastered SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it does. I guess even SACDs by the Stones might very well contain tracks that are only mono. Methinks that rather defeats the purpose of SACD.

:(

Absolutely!! In the 50's, I recall hi-fi becoming the rage. Music reproduced over the entire frequency range through advances in technology. A few years later, stereo came in. Same fidelity, but with 2 channels. There are some Blue Note jazz SACD's and one Nat King Cole that are mono, but terriffic fidelity. There are a few mono SACD's that were recorded "pre-hi-fi," like the Alan Lomax collection, and the Parker/Gillespie Quintet, which are low-fui, but great musically. With all due respect, Hepcat, I believe you are confusing fidelity with seperation.

Really? The mono SACD recording would, I think, sound noticeably better than the mono CD.

Absolutely!! In the 50's, I recall hi-fi becoming the rage. Music reproduced over the entire frequency range through advances in technology. A few years later, stereo came in. Same fidelity, but with 2 channels. There are some Blue Note jazz SACD's and one Nat King Cole that are mono, but terriffic fidelity. There are a few mono SACD's that were recorded "pre-hi-fi," like the Alan Lomax collection, and the Parker/Gillespie Quintet, which are low-fui, but great musically. With all due respect, Hepcat, I believe you are confusing fidelity with seperation.

Exactly. There aren't many. But the few Mono SACDs that are out there from classic Jazz recordings that weren't recorded in Stereo in the first place. And some of them are very nice fidelity wise.

Around ten years ago I heard a version of "Satisfaction" on the radio with a very clear and distinct piano. I've not been able to track it down. Is that in one of the layers of ones of the Stones' SACDs?

Similarly, I've heard a version of "Get off of My Cloud" where the lead guitar riff literally leaps off the track front and center instead of being somewhat buried in the mix. Is that from a SACD?

:confused:

Around ten years ago I heard a version of "Satisfaction" on the radio with a very clear and distinct piano. I've not been able to track it down. Is that in one of the layers of ones of the Stones' SACDs?

Similarly, I've heard a version of "Get off of My Cloud" where the lead guitar riff literally leaps off the track front and center instead of being somewhat buried in the mix. Is that from a SACD?

early hot rocks cd had that mix of satisfaction. as well as get off my cloud.Andrew Log Oldham complained about satisfaction being issued that way and so as he was producer of that track they were forced to use the mono in later issues, but in one of the sacd's they snuck in a different stereo remix of satisfaction(i think it's high tide green grass),narrower stereo but the acoustic guitar is heard clearly on the left channel only

there are true stereo mixes on bootleg out there of ..
"have you seen your mother baby",
"the last time",
"Good Times" ,
"19th nervous breakdown",
Don`t Lie To Me,( because the version of this on metamorphosis was fake stereo)
Tell Me Baby(How Many Times),
High Heel Sneakers,
Stewed And Keefed,
"Down In The Bottom "
Prodigal Son (because it's in mono on Beggars Banquet)
and "Looking Tired"

and other true stereo tracks from the early days from decca/abkco cd's and lp's are..
It's All Over Now,
If You Need Me,
Empty Heart,
Confessin' the Blues,
Around and Around,
2120 South Michigan Avenue .
Play with fire,
Mother's Little Helper,
Everybody Needs Somebody To love (version 2),
I've Been Loving You Too Long ,
Time Is On My Side (version 2),
"Satisfaction",
"Get off of My Cloud"
What A Shame,
Down The Road Apiece,
I Can't Be Satisfied,
"Look What You've Done"
"Heart Of Stone"

Last edited:
I have early London CD's of Hot Rocks made in Germany. Six of the tracks on the first disc list mono, though only two are. Time is on My Side, Play With Fire, Satisfaction and Get Off My Cloud are all stereo. Only As Tears Go By and 19th Nervous Breakdown are, in fact, mono. The mastering by Mobile Fidelity is superb.

The later US pressings don't sound as good and have a different take of Time is on My Side.

I have early London CD's of Hot Rocks made in Germany. Six of the tracks on the first disc list mono, though only two are. Time is on My Side, Play With Fire, Satisfaction and Get Off My Cloud are all stereo. Only As Tears Go By and 19th Nervous Breakdown are, in fact, mono. The mastering by Mobile Fidelity is superb.

The later US pressings don't sound as good and have a different take of Time is on My Side.

If you are looking for the ultimate Rolling Stones CD guide look no further.

http://www.lukpac.org/stereostones/stones-cd-faq.txt

Luke takes in to account the original West German "Mobile Fidelity"mastering CDS, the susequent ABKCO remasters and finally the SACD remasters. He breaks it down album by album and single by single. Dig in and enjoy.

If you are looking for the ultimate Rolling Stones CD guide look no further.

http://www.lukpac.org/stereostones/stones-cd-faq.txt

Luke takes in to account the original West German "Mobile Fidelity"mastering CDS, the susequent ABKCO remasters and finally the SACD remasters. He breaks it down album by album and single by single. Dig in and enjoy.

a great site...although I had dinner with Gregg Schnitzer in June 1985 and my recollection is a little different to what is written on the site (but not too different when I think about it)....Alan Klein helped MFSL with the Lp box set (which MFSL were happy about as they only had to deal with one person to release stuff instead of many ...which had happened with the beatles box set and drove them nuts) then Klein asked if he could use their equipment to dub a few of his tapes to digital and that was ok with them... But what upset MFSL was that he then put mastered by MFSL on the cd cover of his stuff when all they did was let him play with some of their gear for a few hours.

the MFSL Lp box set has "get off my cloud" in stereo but not satisfaction ...they found the stereo satisfaction tape later

Sounds like Klein. As George Harrison sang, beware of Abkco!!

a great site...although they are wrong with MFSL...Alan Klein helped MFSL with the Lp box set (which MFSL were happy about as they only had to deal with one person to release stuff instead of many ...which had happened with the beatles box set and drove them nuts) then Klein asked if he could use their equipment to dub a few of his tapes to digital and that was ok with them... But what upset MFSL was that he then put mastered by MFSL on the cd cover of his stuff when all they did was let him play with some of their gear for a couple of days.

With all due respect, Hepcat, I believe you are confusing fidelity with seperation.

I'm one of those tough graders that docks marks for fidelity when the separation isn't up to my exacting standards.

;)

Sounds like Klein. As George Harrison sang, beware of Abkco!!

To see Abcko on early Stones' releases rather than Decca or London grates on me right off the bat.

Hopefully the Stones still receive royalties on the sale of these Abkco albums.

early hot rocks cd had that mix of satisfaction. as well as get off my cloud.

Interesting! I asked this precise question as my first post ever on a classic rock forum in 2002, and received no answers whatsoever - just dumb disinterested looks. That's great testimonial to the expertise on obscure details that lurks on this board!

But if this is true of only the older pressings of the Hot Rocks CD, is there any way to identify this older pressing from its exterior case?

Interesting! I asked this precise question as my first post ever on a classic rock forum in 2002, and received no answers whatsoever - just dumb disinterested looks. That's great testimonial to the expertise on obscure details that lurks on this board!

But if this is true of only the older pressings of the Hot Rocks CD, is there any way to identify this older pressing from its exterior case?

Classic Rock forum, schmlassic shlock shorum! QQ is where the smart listeners go! ;)

The first issue London CDs are rare. Here is Hot Rocks Volume 1 looks like http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=3504835

The obvious marker is the diagonal Digitally Re-Mastered banner on the front and the London logo on the rear and the spine as shown in this link to the London version of Out Of Our Heads. http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=930071

Last Tidbit, these are interesting CDs for collectors because they were first issues made in WEST Germany at the dawn of the compact disc business and some folks prefer them for sound quality, so unless you get lucky in the bins of you local used CD emporium, if you still have one, you will pay a premium on eBay or Amazon.

I spotted a Hot Rocks Volume 1 in the bins at my local FYE but passed on it since I have a whole shelf of Hybrid SACD digipaks from the 2003 re-issue program. $35 to here the wide stereo mix of Satisfaction just wasn't worth it to me. Some day I may regret it but not today.

Tis what I was referring to in post #10 in this thread. More tracks are stereo than are labelled as such. Note Satisfaction says mono, which it ain't. There are some advantages to being the first kid on the block to buy this stuff.

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=3504835

Tis what I was referring to in post #10 in this thread. More tracks are stereo than are labelled as such. Note Satisfaction says mono, which it ain't. There are some advantages to being the first kid on the block to buy this stuff.

yes the only mono tracks on that cd are "19th nervous breakdown " and "as tears go by"

...but in one of the sacd's they snuck in a different stereo remix of satisfaction(i think it's high tide green grass),narrower stereo but the acoustic guitar is heard clearly on the left channel only....

I have that mix of "Satisfaction" on the "Big Hits and Dazed Rookies" bootleg CD which includes true stereo mixes of eighteen Stones' hits up to "Dandelion" and "We Love You".

:smokin

Back