Carole King Tapestry 5.1 from Sony Music HK (Feb 2017)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This mix isn't exceptional and this music doesn't SCREAM multichannel.

While I would agree Tapestry wasn't exactly a multichannel 'dream' project, I wonder how the original Quadraphonic mix sounded before SONY decided to add a center channel and .1 LFE channel?

The superb music, lyrics and musicianship speak for themselves and I do consider it a perfect album in every respect but of course the conundrum exists......how would've it have sounded in QUAD had the mixers at Columbia gave it the ultra discrete in your face treatment?

Sometimes, less IS MORE! And you also have the luxury of playing the DSD single~layered Stereo SACD track, if you prefer (which I haven't as yet done). And, IMO, this album deserves to be played at a higher than normal volume for maximum impact.

And I also wonder how the MoFi Stereo SACD of Tapestry compares with the stereo layer on SONY's SACD. If anyone has both, would love to hear their review?

Listening to a Q8 conversion of Tapestry right now... great music, but I don't hear anything discrete happening in the rear channels. Still... this Q8 version has a bit of a "muffled" sound so I might have to pick the SACD up anyway.

Listening to a Q8 conversion of Tapestry right now... great music, but I don't hear anything discrete happening in the rear channels. Still... this Q8 version has a bit of a "muffled" sound so I might have to pick the SACD up anyway.

I came across this blurb at Music Direct's website regarding the 45 rpm (2LP) set of Tapestry released by ORG music and mastered from the original two track masters by Bernie Grundman: https://www.musicdirect.com/vinyl/carole-king-tapestry-180g-45rpm-vinyl-2lp *

There seems to be more on these old analogue tapes than even SONY was able to muster with their single layered SACD. Because seriously, folks, [from Music Direct's blurb]: "The crystal clarity, lifelike presence and enviable warmth" in NO way describe what's on that Sony single~layered SACD!

So if you REALLY want to feel the earth move under your feet maybe you should opt for the 180g 2LP ORG 45rpm remaster of TAPESTRY, at least those of you with turntables!

* Make sure you click onto the "read more" link for the FULL review!

Last edited:
While I would agree Tapestry wasn't exactly a multichannel 'dream' project, I wonder how the original Quadraphonic mix sounded before SONY decided to add a center channel and .1 LFE channel?

The superb music, lyrics and musicianship speak for themselves and I do consider it a perfect album in every respect but of course the conundrum exists......how would've it have sounded in QUAD had the mixers at Columbia gave it the ultra discrete in your face treatment?

Sometimes, less IS MORE! And you also have the luxury of playing the DSD single~layered Stereo SACD track, if you prefer (which I haven't as yet done). And, IMO, this album deserves to be played at a higher than normal volume for maximum impact.

And I also wonder how the MoFi Stereo SACD of Tapestry compares with the stereo layer on SONY's SACD. If anyone has both, would love to hear their review?

I played my CD4 lp of it
The quad effect is about the same as the SACD
I don,t think there was much remixing maybe putting the centre front
The only track that has a rear solo seams to be It,s to late
The piano is the same level front to back on one side

If this is 5.1 release then there may be two others at Amazon: Celine Dion: All the Way and Billy Joel: The Stranger (look at the back side of the cd cover and you will see that it's stereo and multi-ch.

Maybe Michael Jackson's "Thriller" is coming?

33099126230_92a8c904f6.jpg
33482611235_0eb4cb8640.jpg

33354446561_eeb8ef683b.jpg
33482599415_7b839c36a0.jpg

Actually I've used the 5.1 a few times to demo for my friends. Can't go wrong with the familiar music, laid-out and spread around the room in a more immersive mix to make you feel you're inside the performance. I say it's a comfy style that fits the vibe of the album, as opposed to, for example, the "presentation" style of Chicago's 2 or 5 DVD-A's.

Considering this is the very birth of '70s Soft Rock phase, I'd say we're lucky to have it.

If this is 5.1 release then there may be two others at Amazon: Celine Dion: All the Way and Billy Joel: The Stranger (look at the back side of the cd cover and you will see that it's stereo and multi-ch.

(Apologies for cluttering this CK thread)....Can you provide a link to the referenced Billy Joel title on Amazon?

Very curious, I recently purchased The Stranger (MCH) used on eBay. Would be ironic if reissued....

Thanks, Steve

(Apologies for cluttering this CK thread)....Can you provide a link to the referenced Billy Joel title on Amazon?

Very curious, I recently purchased The Stranger (MCH) used on eBay. Would be ironic if reissued...

AmazonUS link - and usually you can easily find these if you click on the formats at my list here

Last edited:
Back