Collecting Elton John (and other artists)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredblue

Surroundophile Extraordinaire
QQ Supporter
Of course you have just about everything anyway. So I can't trust you, you buy to just have it.

haha! it would appear I'm nowhere near Linda's levels (come to think of it, who is?!) but I could be accused of being a tad indiscriminate when it comes to purchasing pre-recorded music!

For instance, I'm the only person I know who has bought the same album three times just to get different stickers on the front! (Eltons' Songs from the west coast cd) I'll take pix and stick them in my QQ profile for ya!

Upshot is, I'm not sure I can be trusted on that basis..!! :banana:

You have me beat, Fred. I've never been a "stamp collector." I only bought one copy of Tori's album that came with different covers. Now, to get those extra "bogus tracks" or better fidelity, that's different. I'm on my 13th copy of Kind of Blue.

haha! it would appear I'm nowhere near Linda's levels (come to think of it, who is?!) but I could be accused of being a tad indiscriminate when it comes to purchasing pre-recorded music!

For instance, I'm the only person I know who has bought the same album three times just to get different stickers on the front! (Eltons' Songs from the west coast cd) I'll take pix and stick them in my QQ profile for ya!

yeh her and rustiandy, you gotta see his stuff! He posted pics, so it's between fred -linda- andy and one other who has a 2 vids on you tube with his collection, forgot his name. But I'm sure Linda takes the prize as she knows evryone too.

yeh her and rustiandy, you gotta see his stuff! He posted pics, so it's between fred -linda- andy and one other who has a 2 vids on you tube with his collection, forgot his name. But I'm sure Linda takes the prize as she knows evryone too.

I think that is the guy who inspired me to put pictures up on here!? he PM'd me on here and directed me to his collection I think! Oh Linda's in the lead for now and evermore for sure!

oh no.. I must have dreamt he PMd me! ha!
he must have posted recently with links to his collection or something!?
goodness knows.. mind plays tricks and all that!

For instance, I'm the only person I know who has bought the same album three times just to get different stickers on the front! (Eltons' Songs from the west coast cd)

Now that is an extreme, Adam ! ( I considered buying all Michael Jackson's different coloured Invincible cd's...six different colours, but even i thought that was going over the top ! ;) )

Songs from the West Coast, was my first EJ album....great album.....SW, Live At Last. is great too !

Now that is an extreme, Adam ! ( I considered buying all Michael Jackson's different coloured Invincible cd's...six different colours, but even i thought that was going over the top ! ;) )

Songs from the West Coast, was my first EJ album....great album.....SW, Live At Last. is great too !

I recall those different coloured "Invincible" covers! what a relief I'm only a casual MJ buyer/listener.. (I still had to have the "Thriller" SACD, of course!) .. otherwise I'd had to have bought all 6 of those too! :D

SFTWC (or "Songs From The Wet COAT" as an initial mock-up cover of the album had a rather funny genuine typo on - I kid you not!..) was/is a good album indeed, though I wasn't overly thrilled with it when I was invited to a playback of the album at the Townhouse Studios before it came out.. Elton's management filmed interviews with the attendees as they left the studios.. my response: "I think he should try something different!" :eek:

it is a cool place to start with latter-day Elton.. although I hope you have all the EJ SACDs now..!? good as his stuff has been in the last 10 years, those 70's smash albums are quite something in surround...!!

as a footnote, SFTWC was prepared for 2-channel SACD release, DSD transferred from the analogue tapes (**) by Joe Chiccarelli.. but never appeared, for some unknown reason.

another interesting aside...
while SFTWC was your First Elton John album Rob, it was my Forty-First..! :yikes

(**) the SFTWC album was recorded on analogue tape at Elton's behest - he was massively into Ryan Adams at the time and was obsessed with recording all his future studio output to analogue tape as Ryan Adams did.. as he preferred the analogue "sound" to modern day digital recording.

I have all the EJ SACD's, Adam. The surround mixes are some of the best, if not the best ? Musically i prefer the SFTWC & Peactree Road, overall.
( Don't want the SW thread to be taken over by EJ ! :D )

I have 57 EJ CD albums, including compilations. I'm counting multiple disc packages as just one. This doesn't include EP's, DVD's & Blu-Rays.

We now return you to our regular programming...

57..?! I can only count 56..!!

I'm not taking the piss! I've counted and re-counted.. every CD album, including compilations.. I have 56.. and I thought I had everything..

I think we need to compare notes QL! ;)

I have all the EJ SACD's, Adam. The surround mixes are some of the best, if not the best ? Musically i prefer the SFTWC & Peactree Road, overall.
( Don't want the SW thread to be taken over by EJ ! :D )

definitely some of the best surround mixes I've heard.

interesting.. as nice as SFTWC & PTR are, for me they don't compare to any of his 70's stuff.. with the exception of 1979's "Victim of Drugs".. I mean "Victim of Love"! (or do I..!?).

no, that's true.. though going off-topic's not a total crime if it keeps a thread alive and entices new people to chip in with responses to the initial discussion! ;)

Perhaps I can't count. And I wasn't counting Deluxe Editions twice. Here's some rare ones:

61YASWQ5X0L._SL500_SS500_.jpg

blogEltonJohnLiveCDsjpg

Chartbusters_Go_Pop.jpg

Alternate covers:
Elton-John-Chartbusters-Go-P-112379.jpg

113837644.jpg

0001309800_500.jpg

70's UK 8 track only cover (same tracks as above):
$(KGrHqF,!hsFCv6iDKSbBQv84n0mr!~~60_35.JPG

I counted Love Songs twice, because the US & UK have different tracks and covers:
UK:
elton-john-love-songs-_MLA-O-3096632107_092012.jpg

US:
367820.jpg

57..?! I can only count 56..!!

I'm not taking the piss! I've counted and re-counted.. every CD album, including compilations.. I have 56.. and I thought I had everything..

I think we need to compare notes QL! ;)

Perhaps I can't count. And I wasn't counting Deluxe Editions twice. Here's some rare ones:

61YASWQ5X0L._SL500_SS500_.jpg

blogEltonJohnLiveCDsjpg

Haha! You're like an abacus! QQ can always count on you!

I didn't include any of the 4 Deluxe Editions either but I did include "The Superior Sound Of..". I didn't know it was that rare, I don't check on these things nowadays.

I also included the 2 different "Love Songs" compilations, I have both on CD, LP & Tape :eek:

Oh yes and I counted the "Chartbusters" set (just once, I have 4 different versions of it, the three you've attached pix of, with the Laserlight being on the European Delta imprint and a silver pressed unofficial release on Waterways Records called "I Remember When Rock Was Young").

I don't have the "Lady Samantha" 8-track (though I have been offered it and seen it for sale, it was just one of those things I felt I had to draw the line at! I have more versions of "And The Tide Will Turn For Rebecca.." than is sane anyhow!).. nor do I have the "..And His Band Live 2009" series, as I wasn't at any of the gigs 'Concert Live' did 'Instant Live' (direct to CD) recordings of. so that explains the one I'm missing. phew! :D

Last edited:
Uh hello??? This is the poll for the Stevie Wonder BD. Maybe one of the moderators can move the EJ stuff to it's own thread? Just sayin'...

Back