Quadrophenia due out in October

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good news, maybe I will be getting this......especially if the whole album is in surround.
Question, were quad mixes ever made at the time?

Looks like it says The Quadrophenia 5.1 EP DVD-A to me...bummer :( ... but better than nothing :)

It all depends on the tracks...Quadrophenia has a lot of repeated themes so you might get some portion of one song in another.

This might be a fun exercise: Which 8 tracks would you want to get in 5.1? My choices:

The Real Me (maybe get lucky and have I am The Sea attached as one track)
The Punk And The Godfather
I've Had Enough
Dr. Jimmy
5:15
Bellboy
Love Reign O'er Me

and of course, Quadrophenia

That would be a pretty good EP.

I like how they are calling this the "definitive version" of Quadrophenia. WRONG!!! The definitive version would have the ENTIRE album mixed in surround. "Definitive" my keester!

Either very lazy or very foolish.

[

This might be a fun exercise: Which 8 tracks would you want to get in 5.1?.....

Since I view Quadrophenia to be an album that must be played from start to finish, I can't pick between individual songs. I want them all. However, I can take a guess as to which eight tracks will end up getting released. Here's my guess:

The Real Me
The Punk Meets The Godfather
I'm One
5:15
Drowned
Bellboy
Dr. Jimmy
Love Reign O'er Me

I would bet that I have at least seven out of the eight.

As i think i mentoned before, we are never going to get a full surround release of this album because of the missing parts from the masters. Basically i think, in this instant, we should be thankful for what we get. He could have said it wasn't worth it, and we get nothing.

OD

As i think i mentoned before, we are never going to get a full surround release of this album because of the missing parts from the masters. Basically i think, in this instant, we should be thankful for what we get. He could have said it wasn't worth it, and we get nothing.

OD

I've never heard of missing masters from Quadrophenia. You might be thinking of Who's Next which had missing masters of some songs according to Townshend in an article from several years back. In the same article he talked about having a team mixing Quadrophenia while also expressing his dismay that Who's Next will never get the surround treatment because of missing masters. If anything, I expected the whole Quadrophenia mixed in 5.1 and maybe if we were lucky, a surround mix of select Who's Next tracks.

I could have sworn i read there were missing elements in Quadraphenia as well................

OD

There are - some of the multitracks are either completely missing or else irretrievably damaged.

What a shame, if that's true. I'd want to hear that from Pete himself though on his blog.

But at least with Quadrophenia, we're getting part of the album in 5.1

With "The Wall", we're not getting any of the album in 5.1...yet, but we're trying to change that! :)

I'd think cost/configuration was also a concern as it would take TWO DVD-A discs in the overall package IF everything was available. I'd love to have the whole thing but happy to get whatever key moments it turns out to be. There is an excellent 2010 5.1 upmix to console myself for when I want the whole thing

Here’s a really good interview with Ron Nevison that I just found about the recording of Quadrophenia.

http://www.richieunterberger.com/whoexc4.html

It appears that some of the sound effects for the album were not available—at least not at the time of the 1996 remix.

“As an unfortunate side (not sound) effect, Nevison points out, subsequent mixes for CD don't "have some of the qualities that we put in there, because we had scattered all that stuff on cartridge machines. The train whistle is gone from '5:15,' even though I think I was very careful to archive all of the sound effects on quarter-inch tape. They probably should have been stored with the mixes and everything else. But because stuff wasn't on the 16-track, they would have lost some."

I still would have preferred the whole album with a few missing sound effects, as was the case with the stereo remix. I actually never noticed anything missing (I'll have to do a side-by-side comparison). Nonetheless, this article is superb as it addresses the original quad mix and the less-than-stellar matrix system being pushed by the record label at the time. It is truly a must-read!

Actually, as a side point, but also as you mentioned it, the problem with both SQ & QS were that the decoders wern't capable of doing the business. Of course now, we can decode them to a very high level of accuracy. it was very much a case of "trying to run before they could walk"

OD

Here’s a really good interview with Ron Nevison that I just found about the recording of Quadrophenia.

http://www.richieunterberger.com/whoexc4.html

It appears that some of the sound effects for the album were not available—at least not at the time of the 1996 remix.

“As an unfortunate side (not sound) effect, Nevison points out, subsequent mixes for CD don't "have some of the qualities that we put in there, because we had scattered all that stuff on cartridge machines. The train whistle is gone from '5:15,' even though I think I was very careful to archive all of the sound effects on quarter-inch tape. They probably should have been stored with the mixes and everything else. But because stuff wasn't on the 16-track, they would have lost some."

I still would have preferred the whole album with a few missing sound effects, as was the case with the stereo remix. I actually never noticed anything missing (I'll have to do a side-by-side comparison). Nonetheless, this article is superb as it addresses the original quad mix and the less-than-stellar matrix system being pushed by the record label at the time. It is truly a must-read!

This is fantastic! I'm posting the section about 5.1 on thewho.com's forum.

This part is interesting - "A guy in L.A. told me one of the guys that worked at the MCA library was taking home tapes and cutting together his own little playback reels. When MCA found out about this, they kind of went, 'Right. Anybody asks for a master, we haven't got it.'"

I wonder who that was?

Interesting article on the state of Matrix LPs in the '70s. I guess this is a telling tale of why there were no MCA Quad LP releases. Too bad they didn't just to Q8's until they switched to CD-4, but Pete says he didn't like the Doobie Brothers LP either. I bet he played it in SQ/QS mode, and not using a CD-4 demodulator.

I thought I would try and solve the riddle of which 8 tracks are on the DVD by asking Universal. I started here:

http://store.universal-music.co.uk/euro/box-sets/the-who-quadrophenia-box-set/invt/0602527803173/

I then went to the 'contact us' link and sent a message. It was pretty clear. I wrote 'Could you please confirm which 8 songs are on the 5.1 surround DVD in the new Quadrophenia Director's Cut Box Set?'

The response I got back was:

"Thanks for your message.

So we can assist with your query can you please advise us of the label or artist's webstore you are visiting. A copy of the URL of the webstore or products you are enquiring about would be much appreciated.

We look forward to your reply so we can help."

So I sent them the link to their own web site posted above.

I'd think cost/configuration was also a concern as it would take TWO DVD-A discs in the overall package IF everything was available. I'd love to have the whole thing but happy to get whatever key moments it turns out to be. There is an excellent 2010 5.1 upmix to console myself for when I want the whole thing

The way we would approach that type of disc would be to do 2 discs in the set - but the DVDA on one & the DVDV on another, otherwise it would not make sense.
You could probably fit it all on one disc using Dullby, with a single 448kbps 5.1 stream set to downmix the surround to stereo of course but that would be crap.

Cannot (yet) confirm the tracks on the disc - will do so as soon as I am cleared to.

Back