Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow in SACD Surround Sound

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel John

Looking to purchase JB's BBB and I realize there's a review of this SACD in the Surround Polls but wondering if there are actually 2 versions of the SACD?

It's available on amazon.ca but I don't see any reference to quad mix, the label indicates stereo:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00005HJSI/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=AXA8H7T9BY63I&psc=1

Over at CD Japan they also have a version (more expensive) but this one appears to be the multichannel "quad" version:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/EICP-10001

I'd prefer to purchase the multichannel version. Does anyone know if there are 2 SACD versions of this or there is only one Japanese SACD and it is the quad version?

There are two release with the quad mix, the more recent Japanese and the much older US version from about 2004 or so, which comes in a plastic sleeve (as many SACDs did back then...) that is labeled "Super Audio CD" on the front. There are several on Ebay at the moment I believe. It is one of the best SACD quad mixes ever released..... John

There are two release with the quad mix, the more recent Japanese and the much older US version from about 2004 or so, which comes in a plastic sleeve (as many SACDs did back then...) that is labeled "Super Audio CD" on the front. There are several on Ebay at the moment I believe. It is one of the best SACD quad mixes ever released..... John

Thanks John. So I should be ok with the version I'm seeing on Amazon.ca. Have read the poll reviews and definitely sounds like a great release and looking forward to hearing it on my system. Have Wired on the way...

There have been 4 Multichannel SACD releases of Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow album.

Two in the U.S. - the original from Sony Music (Epic ES 85440) and a more recent remaster from Acoustic Sounds (Analogue Productions CAPP 078 SA) and two in Japan - the original Sony Music Japan edition (Columbia 5021819) and the more recent remaster as part of the Jeff Beck SACD series (Sony Music Japan EICP-10001)

The recent Analogue Productions and Sony Music Japan editions of Blow by Blow correct an out-of-phase error in the rear channels in the first two editions of Blow by Blow and would be the ones to consider.
They will also be easier to find, and lower cost as well.

Enjoy!

Two in the U.S. - the original from Sony Music (Epic ES 85440) and a more recent remaster from Acoustic Sounds (Analogue Productions CAPP 078 SA) and two in Japan - the original Sony Music Japan edition (Columbia 5021819) and the more recent remaster as part of the Jeff Beck SACD series (Sony Music Japan EICP-10001)

The recent Analogue Productions and Sony Music Japan editions of Blow by Blow correct an out-of-phase error in the rear channels in the first two editions of Blow by Blow and would be the ones to consider.

Enjoy!

Brian is correct, I have studied them all, please get this one:
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/98059/Jeff_Beck-Blow_By_Blow-Hybrid_Multichannel_SACD

I would have to agree from a price standpoint the recent Acoustic Sounds disc is probably the way to go. No need to overpay for the 2004 release when you can buy new for cheaper.

I have the CDJapan release and it's pretty cool with all the extras. Storage can be a problem with its 7 inch cardboard sleeve.

attachment.php

All of the Multichannel SACDs contain the Quadraphonic mix.
The only difference falls on which ones are correctly in phase.

The Analogue Productions Multichannel SACD also has newly remastered Stereo SACD tracks by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound from the album's Analog Tape Masters.

Enjoy!
and they increased the lows, missing in the sacd by sony

Its a Bank Holiday here in the UK, I have the US SACD of Blow By Blow, and I was looking at it next to my Jeff Beck Japanese SACDs, and thought shall I? Well I did, and the moral of the story is if in a contemplative mood on a Bank Holiday, don't waste time thinking just buy it. So a matching Blow By Blow should arrive in the next 7 days from Japan :banana: Then I realised I'll have to pay tax & handling charges :violin but hey its a Bank Holiday :wave and it'll look :cool: next to the others!

Its a Bank Holiday here in the UK, I have the US SACD of Blow By Blow, and I was looking at it next to my Jeff Beck Japanese SACDs, and thought shall I? Well I did, and the moral of the story is if in a contemplative mood on a Bank Holiday, don't waste time thinking just buy it. So a matching Blow By Blow should arrive in the next 7 days from Japan :banana: Then I realised I'll have to pay tax & handling charges :violin but hey its a Bank Holiday :wave and it'll look :cool: next to the others!

I hear you mate! I'm on my 3rd version of BXB. Had a stereo SACD that I sold. Bought the AP multichannel version and just a few weeks ago purchased the Japanese 7" Mini LP SACD to go with my other Jeff Beck 7" Mini LP SACDs. I may sell the AP version.

It's an addiction I tell ya!! :D

Back