Jewel Case lids?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillydipper

[RANT]Seems extremely antithetical that you can't find anybody who sells lids to replace the ones that broke at the hinge. Oh sure, you can buy the whole jewel case; you can buy any configuration of the slimline cases and parts; you can get brilliant boxes, fatboys, plain digipacs, tray inserts, in grey, black or clear, or even cardboard sleeves for the cheapest solution possible.

You can even go to your used CD dealer and buy whole bulks of old CD's he's never gonna sell in a million years, just to throw away 95% of the product, and still end up paying about three times more per item that you should have to be able to.

So if indeed the lids broken at the hinge-ends that make the lid fly off when you open it are the most critical replacement part to these poorly-designed jewel boxes (and no, I do not believe the teeth in the insert trays are the most breakable, since even when they are broken, THE DISC STAYS SECURELY INSIDE THE CASE UNLESS THE HINGES ARE BROKEN!)...then why hasn't the marketplace stepped up to serve the need?

I've spent about an hour hunting these down, as I tend to do every couple of years or so, and I have only found one link to such a product. And when you get there, it says, "item discontinued".

So pardon me if I don't want to purchase a whole jewel box just to get the flimsiest part of it and discard the rest in a landfill. Excuse me if I don't want to transfer all my discs and slice up their artwork to fit slimline boxes. Mea culpa that I didn't see this coming back in 1983, and transferred my whole collection to DAT tapes when the format was more readily available.

All I want is to replace a part that breaks, and get the damn CD back into the box/shelf/drawer, then move on to the next one. Why is such an obvious need remain unfulfilled by suppliers who move mass quantities of storage supplies in every other frakkin' configuration?![/RANT]

I feel your pain.

Even finding quality new CD cases with the Compact Disc Digital Audio stamp in the corners of the disc tray is now impossible. I find myself sometimes dissecting unfavourite CD's when the cases or the trays on the high rotation titles break to keep the good ones pretty.

Back in the day when SA-CD, DVD-A (narrow and wide hinge) cases, trays, Gold and Silver slip cases, inserts etc. were 'plentiful' I stockpiled parts from the discount titles fearing the inevitable when all the parts would be OOP. SA-CD stamped CD trays, Gold and Silver clear slip cases and especially narrow hinge DVD-A cases are hen's teeth.

I still enjoy a physical library. It is nice to have spare parts on hand in case I have to Frankenweenie a favourite when the case or tray breaks.

There are lots of $1 CD's at flea markets and garage sales. A great idea to load up on the good cases while you can.

I feel your pain.

Even finding quality new CD cases with the Compact Disc Digital Audio stamp in the corners of the disc tray is now impossible. I find myself sometimes dissecting unfavourite CD's when the cases or the trays on the high rotation titles break to keep the good ones pretty.

Back in the day when SA-CD, DVD-A (narrow and wide hinge) cases, trays, Gold and Silver slip cases, inserts etc. were 'plentiful' I stockpiled parts from the discount titles fearing the inevitable when all the parts would be OOP. SA-CD stamped CD trays, Gold and Silver clear slip cases and especially narrow hinge DVD-A cases are hen's teeth.

I still enjoy a physical library. It is nice to have spare parts on hand in case I have to Frankenweenie a favourite when the case or tray breaks.

There are lots of $1 CD's at flea markets and garage sales. A great idea to load up on the good cases while you can.

I have found SLEEVE CITY to be a fine source for RBCD jewel box replacements and individual components....... certainly better than the various Amazon offerings [which unfortunately more often than not arrive broken/shattered] http://www.Sleevecityusa.com/cd-cases-s/1553.htm

They do not, however, offer replacement SACD/DVD~A cases.

I have ordered from them on several occasions and all parcels are securely wrapped and I find the quality to be exceptional. Several times a year they also offer 15~20% discounts on the entire order.

After 30 years of the CD it is kind of sad that the case parts seem to sell for more than some of original CD releases sell for at garage sales.

I have found SLEEVE CITY to be a fine source for RBCD jewel box replacements and individual components....... certainly better than the various Amazon offerings [which unfortunately more often than not arrive broken/shattered] http://www.Sleevecityusa.com/cd-cases-s/1553.htm

They do not, however, offer replacement SACD/DVD~A cases.

I have ordered from them on several occasions and all parcels are securely wrapped and I find the quality to be exceptional. Several times a year they also offer 15~20% discounts on the entire order.

Hi,

In one of those wonderful coincidences, this afternoon I just happened to order a dozen replacement SACD Jewel Cases @ $1.00 and 4 replacement 2-SACD fliptrays @ $1.50 from Acoustic Sounds (store.acousticsounds.com).

These are listed under CD Care and the item numbers are O SACD JEWEL and
O SACD SJB FLIP respectively.

They also have some 2-DVDA Jewel Cases @ $1.50 with an item number of
O DVDA SJB 2D.

The SACD replacement cases are very hard to find and I only very recently found these after repeated checking on the Acoustic Sounds website. I think they are available in Europe but I can't find the listing on my computer right now.

Incidentally, they have a 10% off sale right now which I stumbled across when I phoned in my order.

One final thing. I would instruct them to make sure that the cases are packed in a "bombproof" container so that they don't get damaged during shipping.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Well, not quite accurate; there are plenty of complete CD cases at the usual vendors, but they average around 40 cents apiece. So basically, I gotta buy a three-piece assembly, toss the other two pieces, and feel guilty about wasting twice the plastic as I am keeping.

But, math is math, and 40 cents is still cheaper than that $1 CD from the yard sale...and, I don't have dozens of Dave Matthews Band or Andy Williams Christmas CD's laying around. ;)

I just don't understand why the marketplace isn't getting served. Sheesh, they don't make the Ford Fiesta anymore, but dollars to donuts your garage can still find the correct gasket from the original manufacturer...and bill you for the excess.

After 30 years of the CD it is kind of sad that the case parts seem to sell for more than some of original CD releases sell for at garage sales.

Which is why a LOT of current RBCD releases, including SACD and the occasional DVD~As are shipped out in recyclable digipack cardboard casings, eliminating, in many instances, ANY plastic components.

There's nothing more frustrating than taking possession of a brand new RBCD or SACD in a cracked, chipped or shattered case because of poor shipping/handling procedures.

Sleeve City pricing is pretty fair...especially when buying in bulk and with their occasional discounts makes the deal even sweeter!

Square Deal Records in San Luis Obispo (California) sells CD lids, as well as other supplies. They're not a record store, but mail-order supplies.

When collecting the whole thing is the point, there's nothing more frustrating than to break or get a broken SACD/DVD-A/CD jewel case with a sticker on it. Whenever you find the corresponding replecement, you won't get the f... sticker!! :(:howl:confused:

Hi,

In one of those wonderful coincidences, this afternoon I just happened to order a dozen replacement SACD Jewel Cases @ $1.00 and 4 replacement 2-SACD fliptrays @ $1.50 from Acoustic Sounds (store.acousticsounds.com).

These are listed under CD Care and the item numbers are O SACD JEWEL and
O SACD SJB FLIP respectively.

They also have some 2-DVDA Jewel Cases @ $1.50 with an item number of
O DVDA SJB 2D.

The SACD replacement cases are very hard to find and I only very recently found these after repeated checking on the Acoustic Sounds website. I think they are available in Europe but I can't find the listing on my computer right now.

Incidentally, they have a 10% off sale right now which I stumbled across when I phoned in my order.

One final thing. I would instruct them to make sure that the cases are packed in a "bombproof" container so that they don't get damaged during shipping.

Hope this helps.

Jim

For the record, when I placed my order with Acoustic Sounds for 20 DVD~A cases and 10 SACD Super Jewel cases the 10% discount was NOT applied (it's ONLY applicable to Music/Downloads.....NOT accessories). I had to end up purchasing 4 AP Stereo SACDs (titles I wanted anyway) to qualify for FREE shipping as the replacement cases do not qualify for free shipping unless music order is OVER $89.00.

In any event, thanks for the tip. Those DVD~A case replacements are as rare as hen's teeth.

I know that's gonna help SOMEbody! And while we're on that subject, I just ran into LBD Mart this evening:
http://www.ldbmart.com/sujebo50pcsj.html

And to the above, thanks for the "Square" tip for my CD lids!

I did the math and if you order 50 Super Jewel cases for $38 from LBD Mart....they impose a $15 s/h charge on the order so you're paying $1.06 for the replacements.

OTOH, if you order them from Acoustic Sounds, they're $.75 each with free shipping if you place a music order over $89 and they also have the much rarer DVD~A replacement cases for $.75 each, as well.

For the record, when I placed my order with Acoustic Sounds for 20 DVD~A cases and 10 SACD Super Jewel cases the 10% discount was NOT applied (it's ONLY applicable to Music/Downloads.....NOT accessories). I had to end up purchasing 4 AP Stereo SACDs (titles I wanted anyway) to qualify for FREE shipping as the replacement cases do not qualify for free shipping unless music order is OVER $89.00.

In any event, thanks for the tip. Those DVD~A case replacements are as rare as hen's teeth.

Like you I had to purchase a couple of SACDs to push the order to over $50.00 so that they would even ship to Canada (no free shipping outside the U.S). I did the order over the phone and they volunteered the discount so probably I just got lucky with the person I dealt with.

In any case (pun not intended but appropriate), I'm really glad you got the replacement cases. Those replacement cases can be very hard to find.

Jim

I managed to get a bunch of Membran SACDs cheap ($NZ49c) a disc..:eek:

They are the small hinge case and have the SACD logo. (y)

So are perfect for replacing my SACD cases.

I did the math and if you order 50 Super Jewel cases for $38 from LBD Mart....they impose a $15 s/h charge on the order so you're paying $1.06 for the replacements.

OTOH, if you order them from Acoustic Sounds, they're $.75 each with free shipping if you place a music order over $89 and they also have the much rarer DVD~A replacement cases for $.75 each, as well.

DEAL ALERT: Acoustic Sounds advertises their DVD~A and SACD replacement plastic cases as 2 discs when in fact they're single replacements which HOLD TWO DISCS. So the price is not great. $1.50 for each case.

They should be advertised as single cases which hold two discs......and that they have to be stacked one atop the other [which I don't recommend]. (n)

Oh, are these the type that hold the discs with the one underneath about an inch or so higher than the one in the front (on top)?

Oh, are these the type that hold the discs with the one underneath about an inch or so higher than the one in the front (on top)?

NO.....they're literally stacked one atop the other with NO space inbetween and furthermore they're shipped loosely in the package with no individual protection. But I suppose if you need DVD~A cases, the pickins' are slim.

NO.....they're literally stacked one atop the other with NO space inbetween and furthermore they're shipped loosely in the package with no individual protection. But I suppose if you need DVD~A cases, the pickins' are slim.

So they are like the 'tallboy' Super Jewel Box DVD cases such as the one that U2's Vertigo DVD was issued in ?

If so, artwork will not fit from DVD-A.

Jewel cases don't seem worth getting unhinged over, I have Pioneer and sony multi-disc players.
Fill them then no need to fiddle with those cd boxes.
As far as redesign, discs are a dinosaur median to the manufacturers, might as well wish for a better
8 track shell!

Back