HiRez Poll Beatles - LOVE [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of The Beatles - LOVE (Soundtrack)

• Total voters
I believe every DVDA in the past twelve months came out this way, didn't they? Except for "Rough Mix" and the Bowie discs...

Not even close, but a higher percentage has been released as CD/DVD-A. Anne Murray, "I'll Be Seeing You", one from Pere Ubu and one from B. J. Cole and I believe all of The Talking Heads were released individually here as DualDiscs within the last twelve months. I can come up with others if needed but the trend for the few popular music DVD-A's does seem to be toward the CD/DVD-A package when released as DVD-A.

My preference is still for hybrid SACD, but I am delighted to see CD/DVD-A, heck I will take DVD-A DualDisc.

Chris

Not even close, but a higher percentage has been released as CD/DVD-A. Anne Murray, "I'll Be Seeing You", one from Pere Ubu and one from B. J. Cole and I believe all of The Talking Heads were released individually here as DualDiscs within the last twelve months. I can come up with others if needed but the trend for the few popular music DVD-A's does seem to be toward the CD/DVD-A package when released as DVD-A.

My preference is still for hybrid SACD, but I am delighted to see CD/DVD-A, heck I will take DVD-A DualDisc.

Chris

If I'm not even close, then https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/dvdalist.htm really needs to be updated!

I love what i heard so far its great my only problem has been at the end of back in the USSR i get some silence while the counter continues on its upward path. Then a freeze at what i assume to be the layer change :mad: . i then have to select the next track while my Guitar gently weeps.

I get this layer change as well. It must be a bad one as I don't notice any layer changes on any DVD that I own. Since I got the Oppo anyway. It doesn't freeze but there is quite a gap.

I get this layer change as well. It must be a bad one as I don't notice any layer changes on any DVD that I own. Since I got the Oppo anyway. It doesn't freeze but there is quite a gap.

I get the "gap" in the Acura. About 2 seconds of silence, then WMGGW. :phones It reminds me of early DVD-Videos, when the picture would freeze for a second on the layer change.

I get the "gap" in the Acura. About 2 seconds of silence, then WMGGW. :phones It reminds me of early DVD-Videos, when the picture would freeze for a second on the layer change.

I get it too. Before USSR ends I get a split second of silence, then a split second of airplane effect, then silence and WMGGW starts abruptly.:mad:@:

I get it too. Before USSR ends I get a split second of silence, then a split second of airplane effect, then silence and WMGGW starts abruptly.:mad:@:

You would think that someone would have paid more attention in authoring. It sounds like they just let it run to the maximum of one layer and then just let the layer change happen at that point.

Ok I have been listening to the Beatles since I was a child , had all the US and import stuff all the albums, mono and stereo versions. Then the CD's came out ...Yea !
So you can imagine the rush to find out some material was going to be released in 5.1 . I have listened to it about 3 times now so here we go !
At first I found the mash ups to be a bit distracting but you have to remember this made for the LOVE show. I can say that the Beatles have never sounded better! Great sub work, super punch and clarity! Just crank up Drive my car
and go for the ride ! The Sub was used and produced some lows that almost caused my scrotum to explode !
Harrison's voice never sounded better. This disc is a real teaser for what can be done with the Beatles catalogue it's a blueprint for somthing fantastic !

You would think that someone would have paid more attention in authoring. It sounds like they just let it run to the maximum of one layer and then just let the layer change happen at that point.

You can't do that.
If they used Sonic's DAC then the Layer Break can be specified in 2 places, but it must be specified - and can go at the start of any track.
Not sure where it could have gone, as pretty well all the tracks segue in some form or another.
Tough call.

As much as there are more pro-SACD fanatics than DVD-A fans, I have to admit that this release, even in the few short days it's been out, has shown to me through the posts on the many messageboards that consider this type of thing, that the CD+DVD-A is the superior package to get surround out to the masses.

It rewards those who made the HiRez investment in hardware, and it also allows those with Home Theater systems to hear and enjoy the surround sound presentation without any additional equipment.

Those with DTS and DD are getting to hear the 5.1 presentation and appreciate (or dislike) what they are hearing, and had this been released on a hybrid SACD, that would not be possible.

I know what you mean, but, the ambient mixes on The Doors Perception aren't exactly going to thrill anyone listening on the little satellite speakers that so many home cinema people use. Thankfully Love has much more aggressive mixes that can sound impressive.

I was doing fine with this dvda until a day in the life which just about lifted me off my chair. Unbeliveable. This is one hell of a Surround sound disc. I hope to see more of the beatles work in 5.1. I gave this a 10 do not believe this will be leaving my disc tray anytime soon.

One question I have a Yamaha 2500 amp and a Yamaha s2500 universal player when I play it in dvd audio in sounds kind of bassy when I put it on multi channel it sounds great and clear. I wonder if I am doing something wrong with the dvd audipo part.

Well, I'll probably be panned for this, but I frankly didn't "get" the music of this album. My wife says probably I only liked the early Beatles stuff - but I found the mix loud and confusing. I guess watching the show it makes sense. But I don't see this as the panacea for hi rez music that most do. It is entirely too "cute" for me.

Well, I'll probably be panned for this, but I frankly didn't "get" the music of this album. My wife says probably I only liked the early Beatles stuff - but I found the mix loud and confusing. I guess watching the show it makes sense. But I don't see this as the panacea for hi rez music that most do. It is entirely too "cute" for me.

I agree with you. I don't like the fact that the songs run into each other, and I don't like the "novelty" surround mixes. The sound quality is nothing to write home about either. This reminds me of the "Songs of" in fine print "the BEATLES" in HUGE PRINT quadraphonic LPs from the 70s. Mike.

I agree with you. I don't like the fact that the songs run into each other, and I don't like the "novelty" surround mixes. The sound quality is nothing to write home about either. This reminds me of the "Songs of" in fine print "the BEATLES" in HUGE PRINT quadraphonic LPs from the 70s. Mike.

well the sound quality is below par for a beatles release...it's like they overloaded some of the channels with too many tracks... the top end detail of a normal beatles issue is not there...this release lacks top end clarity (very muddy) in many spots..They may have had all the master and session tapes, but once they shoved them into their computer for editing something foggy happened ....this isn't an mfsl or nimbus lp audiophile release, it's an EMI mash up.

It's almost a 7.1 mix, when you consider that there are elements centered in the rears and centered in the fronts. Drums are centered between the fronts on Walrus, Something, Mr Kite, WYWY/TNK, Lucy, Octopus, HCTS, Revolution, USSR, and AYNIL, and they don't overlap on the center ch (although center ch vocals do overlap somewhat on the fronts). By moving the center speaker away from the FL-FR line, either above or behind or both, you can separate the lvs from the other center-mixed elements and unclutter it a bit. Big improvement.

In my first QQ vote I gave it a 9, took off a point for some clunky mashups and edits.

I really like it. I can agree with some of the negative comments here, but it isn't meant to replace the originals. As it's own work, it's fun, it's discrete, and it is the Beatles. Here Comes The Sun is wonderful in surround. I'm giving it a 10 not only because it's finally the Beatles in surround on DVD-A, but because the comments in the non-surround communities are giving the surround mix rave reviews and they are clamoring for the whole catalog to come in surround. This is certainly a big deal even if you don't particularly like it. That's why I LOVE it.

I really like it. I can agree with some of the negative comments here, but it isn't meant to replace the originals. As it's own work, it's fun, it's discrete, and it is the Beatles. Here Comes The Sun is wonderful in surround. I'm giving it a 10 not only because it's finally the Beatles in surround on DVD-A, but because the comments in the non-surround communities are giving the surround mix rave reviews and they are clamoring for the whole catalog to come in surround. This is certainly a big deal even if you don't particularly like it. That's why I LOVE it.

They can clamor all they want, but the only reason that Love is in surround sound is that the Martins threw so much stuff together. Most of the original masters were stereo at best ... many were mono ... so if you want surround sound Beatles disks you should get a Variomatrix decoder because that might be as good as it gets. Sorry to be such a poop! There, I said "poop". :eek: Mike.

Well at first listen i was fairly shocked at the songs not being the origonal mixes very often. But after the shock wore off, i really liked it the second and third etc. times. At first listen i didn't think i would rate it a 10, but now it is one of my favorites, a definate 10. It really dosen't take place of any of the origonal mixes, it is a work on its own. But i really hope they mix the rest of the Beatle catalog, i can't wait after hearing this. Hopefully someday. The surround mix is super, and the fidelity sounds great to me.(y)

I wanted to wait a week or so and live with this album before adding my $0.02. I gave this incredible effort a resounding "10" and it now my #1 go-to disc when indoctrinating the hoi-poloi into the sonic wonders of hi-rez 5.1 audio. Like some of you I have been listening to these songs for four decades now (give or take) and the absolute thrills I received while taking this DVD-A for its first few spins have been a long time in hiding. Absolutely A-mazing in every regard to me!

I was dubious about the "mash-ups" when I read about them but the Martin boys came thru in no uncertain terms with tasteful, dynamic, interesting and imaginative remixes of these classic songs. The fidelity of the DVD-A is thrilling to hear; this record makes absolutely great use of the format's dynamic range, sonic impact, immersion and clarity. Considering how sacred these particular cows be the Martins were as brave as they are talented to make this record and I for one am overwhelmingly glad that they did. What a great way to deliver on a whispered promise that few others besides the participants in this forum even dared to hope for.

Did I mention that I really like this record?

Jeffrye from Austin TX

Back