too much good stuff in boxes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Louis Jordan is the missing link between the big bands and rock. Chuck Berry would have been different without him, just as Beatles and Stones would be different without Chuck. Keith Richards made that CB comment, as I recall. Nothing new under the sun, only new combinations. The movements, jive and stories of Jordan's songs pointed the way for CB. Louis' most famous track from a "soundie," the precursor to music videos (MTV was NOT first). There were juke boxes in bars with these films: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRqG...ext=1&list=AL94UKMTqg-9AnMQOrb3pk9UFGxeM_Vi5v There are similarities to CB's Havana Moon & Anthony Boy in this, one of my faves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbjz5UpJeu4 Speaking of boxes, anyone who thinks this is great, should check out Louis Jordan's 9 CD Let the Good Times Roll box on Bear Family (Germany.) Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, and even Bing Crosby appear. I own hundreds of boxes and this is one of the BEST. Joe Jackson did Jack, You're Dead and What's the Use in Getting Sober. Early in the Morning was covered on Nilsson Schmilsson. BB King did Let the Good Times Roll.

Of course, if I studied with Airto, my original axe was drums, which evolved into percussion. I played guitar, but haven't in a few years. I still own one, but my vanity in liking longer nails, and the lack of calluses now, cause me not to play. Most of my writing is on keyboards. I had pianos in three of my houses for 25 years. My then spouse played. I noodled.

Louis Jordan is the missing link between the big bands and rock. Chuck Berry would have been different without him, just as Beatles and Stones would be different without Chuck. Keith Richards made that CB comment, as I recall. Nothing new under the sun, only new combinations. The movements, jive and stories of Jordan's songs pointed the way for CB. Louis' most famous track from a "soundie," the precursor to music videos (MTV was NOT first). There were juke boxes in bars with these films: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRqG...ext=1&list=AL94UKMTqg-9AnMQOrb3pk9UFGxeM_Vi5v There are similarities to CB's Havana Moon & Anthony Boy in this, one of my faves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbjz5UpJeu4 Speaking of boxes, anyone who thinks this is great, should check out Louis Jordan's 9 CD Let the Good Times Roll box on Bear Family (Germany.) Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, and even Bing Crosby appear. I own hundreds of boxes and this is one of the BEST. Joe Jackson did Jack, You're Dead and What's the Use in Getting Sober. Early in the Morning was covered on Nilsson Schmilsson. BB King did Let the Good Times Roll.

Of course, if I studied with Airto, my original axe was drums, which evolved into percussion. I played guitar, but haven't in a few years. I still own one, but my vanity in liking longer nails, and the lack of calluses now, cause me not to play. Most of my writing is on keyboards. I had pianos in three of my houses for 25 years. My then spouse played. I noodled.

saw the satchamo when I was about 12. mom took me to see him. You just never forget that stuff. I still see him in my head up on stage, cheeks puffed out, sweating with his always there towel.

I spent the afternoon at Armstrong's house in Corona, Queens, near old Shea Stadium, 5 years ago. I loved it. It's a museum and open to the public. I recommend anyone at all interested in Pops goes. Took lots of pix, was too lazy to download them, and lost them when my Motorola Q died and had to be replaced.

Besides the cheeks, sweat, and handkerchief, Satchmo also partook of reefer and Swiss Kriss laxative, each day. I have a post card of him touting Swiss Kriss, "Leave it all behind ya." Truly one of a kind. I believe Gary Giddings said, "the Angel Gabriel sent down to earth."

Here's one of my fave Pops tracks, live from the 1947 Timex All-Star TV show. He's with his old pal Jack Teagarden, who was one of Armstrong's All-Star Band of the late 40's and 50's. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIIGahCEqP8
saw the satchamo when I was about 12. mom took me to see him. You just never forget that stuff. I still see him in my head up on stage, cheeks puffed out, sweating with his always there towel.

You still banging the skins?

Once in a while. I don't have a set these days. Plus, I don't have the upper body strength that I had when I was young, or what you guys have. I still have a practice pad and some various percussion instruments. I often stop in the drum shop three doors down from where I get my nails done. Priorities.

You still banging the skins?

Once in a while. I don't have a set these days. Plus, I don't have the upper body strength that I had when I was young, or what you guys have. I still have a practice pad and some various percussion instruments. I often stop in the drum shop three doors down from where I get my nails done. Priorities.

Well, at least you had some times in a band and learned to play some instruments. One of my regrets is that I never played- always a spectator. I took violin in grade school, but never had the patience to practice- wanted to be out playing w/ my buds. I didn't know it took a lot of upper body strength to play drums- I woulda thought it was more about endurance than strength.

Well, at least you had some times in a band and learned to play some instruments. One of my regrets is that I never played- always a spectator. I took violin in grade school, but never had the patience to practice- wanted to be out playing w/ my buds. I didn't know it took a lot of upper body strength to play drums- I woulda thought it was more about endurance than strength.

You need upper body and strong arms to withstand like hours of moving around. percussion intruments, drums, congas, bongos, timbale's, anything that you hit, you need physical stamina and strength to be able to not only play, but keep playing for all the tunes you may hear at a show. The ONLY drummer who has no need to "work" is Nick Mason, PF who plays the "dirges" and it's all slow and easy. Check out Lenny White On the RTF disc. This man works, like even Ginger baker, he's a bit older but kicks ass, and I bet he pays for that. Then check out Billy Cobham, He is a machine.

You need upper body and strong arms to withstand like hours of moving around. percussion intruments, drums, congas, bongos, timbale's, anything that you hit, you need physical stamina and strength to be able to not only play, but keep playing for all the tunes you may hear at a show. The ONLY drummer who has no need to "work" is Nick Mason, PF who plays the "dirges" and it's all slow and easy. Check out Lenny White On the RTF disc. This man works, like even Ginger baker, he's a bit older but kicks ass, and I bet he pays for that. Then check out Billy Cobham, He is a machine.

I would have thought it was more about stamina than strength, but I guess you need both. You would certainly know better than I. I have seen LW on the montreux disc- he is killer. That is an awesome disc.

I would have thought it was more about stamina than strength, but I guess you need both. You would certainly know better than I. I have seen LW on the montreux disc- he is killer. That is an awesome disc.

That RTF is one of my all time favorites. saw stanley clark live once. having hung around with bands, musicians and worked at FM radio in the 70's, we were all listening to RTF and thier offerings. one theme in particular was the vulcan worlds theme, repeated and moded so many times by chick and stanley on solo offerings I got turned on to it early on and have been into almost everything done collectivly or solo by rtf members. Electric band went on to more intense involved music. have lots of EB stuff too. Pandora offers a nice selection of EB and members offerings, (on now) Dave Weckl another top drummer!

Back