Ayreon-"The Source" in surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Screenshot from 2017-01-30 09-17-07.png

Link, if you wanna jump in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFuMKdrzPqU&lc=z134sloj1xa2jvm4r04cjlppdqvjtdmpzc4

The Burning Shed offering is a Special Edition which is why its expensive at £39.99

This 4cd/1dvd edition is presented in a 44 page full colour ear book and contains a 5.1 mix of the album.

Exclusive to Burning Shed in the UK, we have a limited number of copies available.
Yes, this is the Earbook Edition, although it looks good it's expensive and has high shipping costs. I guess if you're not in the UK, compare with other stores.

As has been noticed in this thread already, there is also the Mediabook Edition, which also has the DVD (with the Dolby 5.1) but costs less than half. The main thing you will miss are 2 CDs with the whole album in instrumental versions. The booklet will be somewhat thinner as well.

BTW just ordered the latter.

I'm going to wait until the album is released and early purchasers can figure out what audio is on here before I jump in myself.
If the only surround audio is Dolby, then I'm definitely out, no questions asked.

I just preordered Amazon us for 19.98.

I am really excited for this album. I lost interest in Ayreon 4-5 years ago for some reason, but this one has renewed my interest.

But, I can't bring myself to preorder it without knowing what is on the DVD. I am sure Dolby Digital compression will destroy the fidelity of music with so much going on.

I'm concerned as well.

It almost certainly is DD, since Arjen confirmed it himself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFuMKdrzPqU&lc=z134sloj1xa2jvm4r04cjlppdqvjtdmpzc4

Perhaps jump into the comment thread there, and/or suggest he takes a look at our discussion thread here? It would be awesome if he did a bit of research on compression and formats before he mixes his other albums in 5.1 (which he indicated he wants to do).

I am fine if it is in dd, of course i would prefer hi rez, but i have his first surround dvd, Actual fantasy revisited, i think that is dd also and sounds great to me. It is in my top 10 favorite surround or quad albums. Can't wait to hear this new one.

I'm concerned as well.

It almost certainly is DD, since Arjen confirmed it himself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFuMKdrzPqU&lc=z134sloj1xa2jvm4r04cjlppdqvjtdmpzc4

Perhaps jump into the comment thread there, and/or suggest he takes a look at our discussion thread here? It would be awesome if he did a bit of research on compression and formats before he mixes his other albums in 5.1 (which he indicated he wants to do).

Thanks Matt. I added some comments. I mentioned Opus too. Let's hope it helps for future releases at least.

I just emailed him asking about the format and told him that dulby is not a good idea (short version of my mail :)). I also pointed him to this thread.

His answer "I really don't know, could you ask the record company, they can help you for sure [email protected] " . So I did and this is what I wrote, hope y'all can live with it :D, no answer yet though:

Dear Sirs, could you tell me what format this dvd will have? Hoping for at least DTS but MLP-lossless (DVD Audio) would be preferred, not just by me but many others (see link). I already ordered it by the way :) (2cd/dvd version). Dulby digital compression wouldn’t make the mix as good as it could be. I asked this question to Arjen himself but he had no clue and referred to this email address. There’s a thread about this album here: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?23061-Ayreon-quot-The-Source-quot-in-surround

Thanks for your reply,

JanBakker :D

This will be interesting. If it's DD, though, I don't expect that we can hope for better in future 5.1 releases, provided Arjen goes ahead with them. If the artist himself doesn't request a certain level of quality from a label, then I would suspect they'll just continue doing what they have been doing.

This will be interesting. If it's DD, though, I don't expect that we can hope for better in future 5.1 releases, provided Arjen goes ahead with them. If the artist himself doesn't request a certain level of quality from a label, then I would suspect they'll just continue doing what they have been doing.

I guess you're right but maybe if more of us point them in the right direction something will change? Feel free to use the email address in my previous post guys :smokin.

[video=youtube;fUSoR4EdyIo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUSoR4EdyIo[/video]

Ayreon - Everybody Dies (Official Lyric Video) The Source 2017

I guess you're right but maybe if more of us point them in the right direction something will change? Feel free to use the email address in my previous post guys :smokin.

It is worth a try for sure, I have sent a email as well.
Customer responses can make a difference, hope some more people send a email requesting them to put these recordings out in lossless form or at least DTS.

Yeeeaaah! Got my signed copy today plus promo poster! :banana::banana::banana: A week before official release date :mad:@:, not bad.:smokin
A very beautyful digibook by the way, nice artwork!(y) Ordered directly from Mascot Label.

View attachment 29104

Back