David Bedford's Instructions for Angels

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malcolm2010

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Hi,
David Bedford's Instructions for Angels LP was released in BBC Matrix H. Unless you had a suitable decoder, this was always going to be a problem to hear exactly what was intended. No longer !! I have spoken to the BBC Research and development department, and I have the (simple) answer. A phase shift is applied to the right hand channel before sending to a standard Sansui Decoder, QSD-1000/1/2/x2 etc. I tried this last night on some Matrix H source material, and it work beautifully. Here is the modification attached. I simply phase shifted the right channel in my audio editor, burned the cd and off it went. Let me know if you need further information.
Here is the link to the article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/reports/1977-02.pdf

Malcolm

:banana:

Attachments

• QS conversion.jpg
    QS conversion.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
Hi there. Could you please let me know how to apply the right-channel phase shift in Audition before running the album through a QS decoding script. I've had a copy of the album for years, and I'm dying to hear it in quad. Particularly the title track, which is one of Mike Oldfield's greatest guitar moments IMHO :)

Use auditions graphic phase shifter, select right channel only and 60 degree shift. It is not perfect decoding but a good approximation.

Malcolm

Yes it is, and may i just add some information regarding the decoding of this mess of a matrix system.

The 60degree mod was nothing but a poor bodge in a desperate effort by the BBC to get peoples interest up in the system. Last year i started work on correctly decoding Matrix H, and through listening tests involving some well known name here, the 60degree way of decoding was the first to be thrown out. The matrix is a lot more complicated than that.

I did start work on scripts to correctly deal with decoding it, but have been working on correctly software decoding UHJ. I will return to the project as soon as the UHJ project is finished (it's 95% done). By the way, Matrix H is different from the others in that 3 of the 4 channels are used (Fl,Rl &Rr)

OxfordDickie

Wow, sounds like a lot of work for about 5 lps that may be interesting.

I think we'd be lucky to find that many!! BUT the magic is in the BBC broadcast's, that's what makes it worthwhile.....

Will the Floyd (74 BBC recording) be among that "five"? I cross my fingers!

I wish (lol) Afraid a copy hasn't surfaced yet, although i do have, with great thanks to a member, Fluff's christmas eve broadcast where he did a "best of" from the album remixes Tony Wilson did.

I still live in hope WYWH will come to light...

OD

I just got a copy of this and it states SQ on the back (see below):
Capture.JPG
The label number is the same - V2090 - and its a New Zealand pressing.

Is it really Matrix H??

No you got the sq pressing, france did an sq pressing also.

Back