HiRez Poll Fagen, Donald - KAMAKIRIAD [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Donald Fagen - KAMAKIRIAD

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2: Forget it, Get the CD

• 1: Waste of plastic

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

Fagen Kama Front.jpgFagen Kama Back.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite Fagan solo effort!
Sounded great on CD years ago.
This mix is perfect. Tomorrows Girls are here :banana:

Great disc - awsome music, sound quality, and dynamic mix. A 10!

I actually think this one is a bit better than "The Nightfly". "Kamakiriad" is a whole package; great music, great mix, etc. A definite 10. Must-have.

This one is my first disc of the trilogy - and has made me want to go out & buy both "The Nightfly" as well as "Morph The Cat" at the next opportunity.
Class oozes from this one - great mix (Elliot Scheiner, so no surprises there) and generally superb presentation too.
Personally, I wish I could access the lossy streams as well without having to reset the player, just for comparison, but it's no big deal.

Recommended.

The three Donald Fagen DVD-A's are primo demo discs for me, for all three reasons. Fidelity, Content, and Surround Mix.

The funny thing with all 3 albums is they get better with time. The more you listen, the more you get into the songs you do not happen to like at first.

This album was received at retail as rather "spotty". Fans loved it, the general public ignored it. I remember getting the Gold CD, I think it was 20 Bit or something from Japan, and playing the crap out of it. Listening to the layers of sound in stereo was amazing.

Hearing the album many years later in 5.1 HiRez was a marvel. This one is a TEN all the way for me!

I am playing this now after thinking about it because of a member's current search to find it. I want my 8 vote back this is a 9. Terrific mix, maybe the best of my four Fagen/Dan DVD-A's. The music is nearly on a par with Gaucho and Nightfly.

Chris

Never less than great effort shown on his recordings; DVD-A is the place to show off every nuance he insisted upon for his compositions.

I finally got a hold of a copy of this. (Thanks daved64!)

I've played it through a couple of times and found it to be outstanding.

It really opened the music up when compared to the Stereo CD.

I haven't listened to it enough to vote just yet, but I suspect I will be rating it high.

This would make it into my all time top 5 discs. I rate it higher than the other Fagen solo efforts and that is saying something because they are all superb (as well as the Steely Dan titles)! Snowbound and Tomorrow's Girls are standout tracks. An absolute 10!

I really feel sorry for anyone who wants this and can't track it down. I got this really cheap when it was readily available and now it is selling for "collector's" prices. It's a shame. If you can find it, don't hesitate on this one.

This would make it into my all time top 5 discs. I rate it higher than the other Fagen solo efforts and that is saying something because they are all superb (as well as the Steely Dan titles)! Snowbound and Tomorrow's Girls are standout tracks. An absolute 10!

I really feel sorry for anyone who wants this and can't track it down. I got this really cheap when it was readily available and now it is selling for "collector's" prices. It's a shame. If you can find it, don't hesitate on this one.

sometimes searching pays having spent some time listening to Nightfly and finding it growing on me i finally decided i should coplete teh trilogy by getting this on DVDA.

Then the search started Amazon upwards of £50 for a used disc in the marketplace. Ebay over $100 i had almost given up hope of finding this at a reasonabl price when By chance decided to look at Amazaon japan.

Wow one copy left and a reasonable Y2850 (approximatly £11) intenational priority shipping was the same again. and yesterday Kamakirad arrived, a quick listen suggests this is a top notch album a proper listen is in order before I vote but not dissappointed with this purchase.

My next target is 'Everything must go'. my last SD album in surround to complete the collection. already exhaused the usual search sources !!

I bought this DVD-A from the Amazon.co.uk marketplace. Funny thing is that someone from Pennsylvania posted it on that site. I bought it for $18 US. I couldn't buy from anyone in the UK but since that seller was in PA, I was good. Although the condition of the disc isn't quite mint, it plays perfectly and that's the main thing.

I bought the Chinese version of the Nightfly DVD-A on ebay for $35 US. I'll let you know how that goes.

So far, I like Kamakirad better than Morph the Cat. And Morph isn't bad at all.

So far, I like Kamakirad better than Morph the Cat. And Morph isn't bad at all.

Hmmmm
This worries me.

I just listened to Kamikiriad this week for the first time and found it kind of boring.

Was planning on getting Morph the Cat too (and I probably will regardless) but perhaps I won't be impressed by it either.

Kamikiriad takes a few spins to get into. There are indeed some songs that tend to get tedious, but on the whole the better songs make up for the others. I remember thinking "Snowbound" was a dud the first time I heard it, then I got to where I liked it and cranked it up. The only tune I don't listen to these days is "Tea House on the Tracks".

Kamikiriad takes a few spins to get into. There are indeed some songs that tend to get tedious, but on the whole the better songs make up for the others. I remember thinking "Snowbound" was a dud the first time I heard it, then I got to where I liked it and cranked it up. The only tune I don't listen to these days is "Tea House on the Tracks".
It seems like all of Fagen's releases are that way for me. It takes a few listens before I really start to like it.

Funny isn't it.

Back