HiRez Poll R.E.M. - DOCUMENT [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of R.E.M. - DOCUMENT

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

DVDA-V front scan:
R-2073597-1262472345.jpeg.jpg

Dualdisc back scan:
R-1571355-1365326020-1638.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Elliot does it again. :)

I picked up the DualDisc that was released yesterday (11/8/05) which I assume will replace the DVD-Audio. It has a hi-rez surround and stereo DVD-A track along with DTS 5.1 and Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks.

Mix is excellent, and this is one of my favorite REM albums. What else needs to be said? :)

wonderful classic album in surround sound. Thank you REM!

I have the DVDA, is it worth also getting the DualDisc?
Is the mix a little bit different using the DD/DTS mixes compared to the DVDA mix?

As far as I can tell, the DD and DTS 5.1 mixes are identical to the DVD-Audio mix. The DualDisc contains the music videos for Finest Worksong, ITEOTWAWKI (AIFF) and The One I Love, plus the same DVD-Audio surround and stereo tracks, and the DD and DTS 5.1 mix. So unless you want the DD or DTS mix, or the DVD-Audio doesn't have the music videos (I don't own the DVD-Audio), then I'd say that the DualDisc won't offer you anything that the DVD-Audio doesn't already give you. I'd imagine the DualDisc is going to replace the DVD-Audio in EMI's catalog.

An '8'....R.E.M. was a better singles band than anyone gave them credit for(probably because most of their singles tanked commercially, while the albums did well). Very good mix for the material.

ED :)

Hi,
when I realised that this one was still missing in my collection I got a copy of the DualDisc.

Turns out I have a strange playback problem on my Denon 3910 :(
When I listen to the Advanced Resolution, the sound chokes and drops out every time the page showing the lyrics turns :eek:

This happens for both the multichannel and the stereo Advanced Resolution tracks! No problems with the DTS track, though.

I tried it over an HDMI connection and also with an analogue 5.1 connection to the pre-amp when HDMI was completely turned off...

Did anyone run into the same problem with this disc? I probably should have hunted down a DVD-Audio copy instead, but I wanted the videos and I think they are only included on the DualDisc version... D'OH!

The Oppo is looking more tempting every time I run into some playback problem with the Denon...

Oliver

The dualdisc front or back cover does not say anything about the Advanced resolution tracks (5.1 and stereo). Back cover does say DTS 5.1 and DD 5.1. The DVDA 5.1 does sound good to me. 8 or 9, I can't really decide??

Hi,
when I realised that this one was still missing in my collection I got a copy of the DualDisc.

Turns out I have a strange playback problem on my Denon 3910 :(
When I listen to the Advanced Resolution, the sound chokes and drops out every time the page showing the lyrics turns :eek:

This happens for both the multichannel and the stereo Advanced Resolution tracks! No problems with the DTS track, though.

I tried it over an HDMI connection and also with an analogue 5.1 connection to the pre-amp when HDMI was completely turned off...

Did anyone run into the same problem with this disc? I probably should have hunted down a DVD-Audio copy instead, but I wanted the videos and I think they are only included on the DualDisc version... D'OH!

The Oppo is looking more tempting every time I run into some playback problem with the Denon...

Oliver

I had the exact same issue with my Denon 2910. I now own the DVDA but have yet to even open it. I guess I will have to try it out and report back. I have had the same issue with some other dual discs and it seems to be at the lyric sheet change with them as well.

Hi buc18,
I had the exact same issue with my Denon 2910. I now own the DVDA but have yet to even open it. I guess I will have to try it out and report back. I have had the same issue with some other dual discs and it seems to be at the lyric sheet change with them as well.

It would be great if you could try the DVDA; I'd like to know if it would make sense for me to replace my DualDisc with the DVDA...
The only other DualDisc I had problems with on the Denon was from Crowded House. But there the symptoms were a bit different as far as I can remember... this was supposedly due to some non-standard copy protection scheme on the DualDisc version. The Crowded House DVDA works perfectly.

Best regards,
Oliver

Hi buc18,

It would be great if you could try the DVDA; I'd like to know if it would make sense for me to replace my DualDisc with the DVDA...
The only other DualDisc I had problems with on the Denon was from Crowded House. But there the symptoms were a bit different as far as I can remember... this was supposedly due to some non-standard copy protection scheme on the DualDisc version. The Crowded House DVDA works perfectly.

Best regards,
Oliver

Sorry I haven't checked it yet. But I promise I will get to it soon and report back to you.

OK.. I can now report that I have no issues with the DVDA version. I played it the other day and there were no hiccups with it and my 2910. Sorry it took so long to report back. I give this disc an 8 by the way. I have all of the surround REMs except for Monster and I have found the mixes to be top notch.

OK.. I can now report that I have no issues with the DVDA version. I played it the other day and there were no hiccups with it and my 2910.
Thanks for checking this! I'll see if I can hunt down a DVD-A version...
I've had some problems before with a DualDisc from Crowded House where the DVD-A played without problems on my 3910...
Best regards,
Oliver

The stereo mix on the regular dvd-audio version is 24 bit / 192khz LPCM. You'd think you could play that on any DVD player, but you can't. Your only choices are dts surround and dolby digital surround. You can't even play it in stereo at all. Well, I guess the player would downmix the surround into stereo if you have that option set.

The stereo mix on the dualdisc is 24 bit / 48khz PPCM (as if making it 192khz would have taken up that much more room).

NOTE: Both stereo mixes play perfectly on the Panasonic Blu-ray/dvd-audio player BDP10A.

I was thinking about that 24 bit / 192 khz LPCM stereo version on this. Isn't that out of spec for the DVD format? And LPCM isn't dvd-audio either. So what is it?

LPCM is a valid DVD-Audio spec along with PPCM. 24/192 LPCM in stereo is valid for DVD-Audio but not DVD-Video. The key to the specs is that they all fall below 9.6 mbps output bitrate.

Hate to reference Wikipedia (because it can change so quickly and be wrong) but the entry on DVD-Audio allowable sampling rates and bit levels is correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Audio

I'd have this sitting here right now on dualdisc having purchased it from wherehouse.com, but the post office either stole it, gave it to someone else or lost it.

Back