New Depeche Mode SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
CD Wow (www.cdwow.com) is taking prerelease orders for the new Depeche Mode album on Mute Records - releasing in UK, Oct. 17. You can hear an MP3 sample of the single "Precious" at http://archives.depechemode.com/audio/releases/precious.html.

I purchased the Goldfrapp limited SACD - also from Mute earlier this month and was quite pleased with the quality of the MC mix and bonus DVD. Whether you like the style of music or not is strictly a matter of taste.

DEPECHE MODE - Playing The Angel (Limited Edition Hybrid SACD With DVD)
Price: £12.99 Release/Despatch Date: Monday 17 Oct
Track Listing
A Pain That I'm Used To
John The Revelator
Suffer Well
The Sinner In Me
Precious
Macrovision
I Want It All
Nothing's Impossible
Introspectre
Damaged People
Lillian
The Darkest Star
Bonus DVD: (PAL System, 0 Region)
*DTS 5.1
*Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
*PCM Stereo
Making Of The Angel
Precious (Video)
Clean (Special Studio Performance)
Photo Gallery

I checked this on Amazon.UK but I see no indication of it being SACD

This is direct from the Depeche Mode Band site www.depechemode.com - this is the same exact format as the recent Goldfrapp release from Mute UK, which I purchased via CD Wow - an excellent MC mix by the way...

More details on Playing The Angel and Preciouspost date: September 1st, 2005 (revised: 2:54 pm)
Some new details on "Precious" and Playing The Angel":

Precious:
> A DVD Single will be released (click link for track listing).
> A "limited edition collectors slipcase" will be available to hold all three single formats (CD / LCD / DVD). A link will be coming shortly.

Playing The Angel:
> The album will be released (in the U.K. - other territory details pending) as a standard CD, as well as a "deluxe version". The deluxe version will be a CD/SACD, with an additional DVD, containing:

> Playing The Angel in 5.1 and Stereo (DTS 5.1 - 24 bit, Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround - 24 bit, and PCM Stereo - 24 bit)
> "Making The Angel" (8:07)
> "Precious" (music video - 4:00)
> "Clean" (Bare - 3:42) - this is a special 'exclusive studio performance'
> Ben Hillier candid studio photo gallery

I have heard about this elsewhere as well. Interesting. Let's see if it shows up next week!

elmer said:
This is direct from the Depeche Mode Band site www.depechemode.com - this is the same exact format as the recent Goldfrapp release from Mute UK, which I purchased via CD Wow - an excellent MC mix by the way...

Ah, the controversy that Goldfrapp MC mix caused...! (Personally I love it, but some find the extreme multichannel use annoying)

The DM SACD/DVD set is already out in Australia (yep, they got it out into stores on a Sunday!) priced somewhat higher than the Goldfrapp was at $35 (since the Goldfrapp SACD sold out in one day they're probably taking advantage of the unexpected demand :) ) JB HiFi in Melbourne have plenty of copies in stock, but if last time's anything to go by, I'd be quick.

Though I haven't listened properly yet, a quick flick through the tracks reveals that this multichannel mix is far more "conventional" and less aggressive than the Goldfrapp disc. And for those who were wondering, yes, it's genuine 5.1 multichannel.

> Playing The Angel in 5.1 and Stereo (DTS 5.1 - 24 bit, Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround - 24 bit, and PCM Stereo - 24 bit)

Just a note on Mute's repeated error on the PCM track: like the Goldfrapp, the Linear PCM track on the DVD is *not* 24-bit. It's 16 bit 48Khz (anything better simply wouldn't fit on a single-layer DVD anyway). It's a pity they couldn't have done the DVD as a DVD-Audio disc, thereby covering all hi-res bases in one go.

Oh, and Dolby Digital can't do 24 bit, only 20 bit. Someone needs to give Mute a technical briefing :)

> "Precious" (music video - 4:00)

Curiously, provided with a stereo PCM soundtrack only.

> "Clean" (Bare - 3:42) - this is a special 'exclusive studio performance'

Also PCM stereo only.

It is primitive multichanel mix. Dead stereo from two frontss plus some sfx from backs and center. Those effects (mainly - tech sounds) are badly linked to music itself. Content is DM, stopped in evolution.

Neon Kitten said:
It's a pity they couldn't have done the DVD as a DVD-Audio disc, thereby covering all hi-res bases in one go.

This would work ok for you, but not for some of us here in the USA. One of my dvd-audio players will not even accept the disk, saying it is in the wrong format (PAL), and the other machine plays it but then my TV won't display the PAL picture properly (it's not designed to display PAL). I can play the dvd on my computer though.

I like having the multichannel on the separate SACD.

Just a quick update - just rec'd comfirmation from CD Wow that they are finally shipping my copy of the SACD/DVD combo. Probably won't have it until next week sometime.

A quick word of warning. I was in the Virgin Megastore in Times Square yesterday and saw a domestic "Delux edition" which is exactly the same except that it does not contain the SACD. It is CD and a DVD with the entire album mixed in 5.1 DTS and Dolby along with video content. The curious thing is that it was packaged in a SACD Super Jewel case - there is no mention on the packaging anywhere that it is SACD or DSD - it is definitely the US version and the price was reasonable at $19.99. Not a bad alternative for someone who doesn't want to purchase the import.

Back