Quad gear for 5.1?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duesy

Has anyone attempted to configure vintage quad gear for 5.1? I would like to control four surround speakers, a powered subwoofer, and center channel using vintage hardware. At the same time, accept 5.1 source inputs from DVD, etc. It would seem as simple as arranging five discreet amplifier sources (e.g. one quad amp plus a stereo amp), but controlling everything would seem daunting. Thanks in advance for any comments.

The best suggestion I can think of would be to use a Fosgate Model 4 surround processor. It will take quad encoded material and present it as discrete 5.1. It also allows you to turn off the center channel and sub if you wish to go straight quad. It is not an SQ decoder, but does the next best job at decoding matrix quad formats.

duesy said:
Has anyone attempted to configure vintage quad gear for 5.1? I would like to control four surround speakers, a powered subwoofer, and center channel using vintage hardware. At the same time, accept 5.1 source inputs from DVD, etc. It would seem as simple as arranging five discreet amplifier sources (e.g. one quad amp plus a stereo amp), but controlling everything would seem daunting. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Hello, It sounds like you are trying to do what what I refer to in the following link. It actually is a very simple straight forward set up and not hard to control at all. Check out my profile for more specifics on equipment used and by all means keep asking questions.

To elaborate a little on what is not covered in the linked post, you don't need a powered sub for this type of setup but its easy enough to add one straight out of the hybrid multi player and then just switch the center channel amp to mono and drive both speakers.

Also like I mention in the link, all the stereo stuff gets steered through the stereo integrated amp into the quad amp for any decoding and what you end up with is six channels of bliss with endless possibilities.

The hybrid multi player of your choice just plugs directly into both the amps aux inputs. And bada bing, you're surrounded!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?p=39291#post39291

Last edited:
duesy said:

I use an Akai 980 Quad amp for the four main channels and an Akai 1080DB Quad amp for the center and sub (Leaves me ready for 7.1 with the two extra channels :D ). Two volumes to control, but not a real pain. In fact, I imagine a would always be adjusting the balances if I owned a 5.1 amp anyway.

Spence

Seems like there are alot of options. (y)
I use 3 'QB' Sansui AU-D11/ll's for 6 channels of amplification, and soon to add a 'QB' Sansui AU-999 for the 7th.
I also use an Outlaw 990 pre/pro to handle all the multi channel audio and video switching. With this setup I can simply tell the Outlaw to 'not use' the center, sub and rear surround channels, and it will pass ALL the music to my 4 'Quad' speakers.
For decoding of QS and synthesizing Quad from a 2 channel source, I simply route the 2 channel source directly into My 'QB' QSD-1, and into the amps. Amazing Quad sound is the result.:phones
I do have an audio switcher between my 2 channel sources and the QSD-1/Outlaw, so I can listen to these sources thru either system.
We're a pretty imaginative group, I'd say.:smokin

I hope this helps,
Lonster

Lonny
Vintage Audio and Vintage Bikes, both SOUND great!
QpS

Thanks to all for the terrific comments. Aquadad: your link depicts speaker configuration. What is your hardware config?

I like the idea of a front-end processor to manage all I/O including video and routing to necessary power amps. This particular system will be used for play back of rock videos in 5.1 and DTS such as Cream Reunion, Hendrix Woodstock, plus DVD-A and SACD. Goal to use old quad gear in support of 5.1 sound, no real need for playback of pure quad as I have another vintage system dedicated to that purpose. I've looked at Rotel, Denon, Marantz, and others for processing signals to dedicated amps. Any recommendations for example config's would be cheerfully received. Thanks,

"If it's easy, it ain't worth doin."

duesy said:
Thanks to all for the terrific comments. Aquadad: your link depicts speaker configuration. What is your hardware config?

Hello Duesy,

Not sure if you are aware of it or not, but if you click on a members avatar you can check out their profile which includes the hardware they are using if they have chosen to list it.

Couple the attachment below to the speaker link and you can get a basic overview of how my multi-player is set up in my system. What I like about this arrangement is the ability to get synthesized quad from a stereo source and to get double stereo across the front when the sub and center channels either aren't done very well or they just don't exist.

The NuReality enhances the phase relationships and thus the quad synthesis. I use it most of the time in one way or another. When playing a 5.1 source it expands the soundfield across the front. When playing a stereo source it enhances the phase relationships in the music whether it's encoded (QS or SQ), or naturally occurring harmonics, or unnaturally occurring (Jimi Hendrix):) . This enhancement results in more signal info for the rear channels which I just love about this little black box. And when I am playing double stereo across the front the NuReality does what it was originally designed to do with the signal being fed to the Marantz and that is to synth a center (phantom) and surround (phantoms) out of the speakers being fed by the Marantz. As you can see by the speaker diagram I take this a step further by adding the extra set of speakers to the Marantz and utilizing the "ambient" setting on the amp to drive those.

When its all said and done I end up with a mesh of fullness and discreteness that cannot be described, it simply has to be experienced. And that's what it's all about for me. Gettin' that sound!

Attachments

• all hware.jpg
    all hware.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
duesy said:
Thanks to all for the terrific comments. <snip>
I've looked at Rotel, Denon, Marantz, and others for processing signals to dedicated amps. Any recommendations for example config's would be cheerfully received.

May I suggest Outlaw Audio http://www.outlawaudio.com/

Lonster

Thanks again to everyone. That diagram says it all... very clean setup, and I appreciate you taking the time to post.

Lonster: are you pleased with the Outlaw 990? I've looked into their equipment since reading your comments, and am impressed not only with the gear, but intriqued by their business model ("we don't need no stinkin' factory!"). A central switching hub would seem to resolve a number of issues while also providing preamp functions.

I am more than pleased. I did alot of research into pre/pro's that were in my budget (initially up to $3500) and auditioned a few. After listening to the Outlaw 990 I was sold. For about $1000, it sounded as good or BETTER than everything else I listened to, had more options than anything else in its class, had great customer support and a 30 day trial period. It was the most open, transparent sounding unit I heard. It has more than enough input/output options, and is pretty simple to set up.
The 990 coupled with a Harmony 880 remote has turned my home theater/surround/quad system into a super listening/watching experience, that even my 6 year old can operate by himself.
I would (and DO) suggest, to anyone looking to upgrade their system with an awesome pre/pro, to demo the Outlaw and hear for yourself.
Their whole line is the best 'Bang for the Buck' around, in my opinion.

Lonny

Lonny
Vintage Audio and Vintage Bikes, both SOUND great!
QpS

Back