• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Rare Sony TA-2244 Quadradial preamp

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadanasaziland

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Accepting serious offers for this ultra rare, mint, Sony TA-2244 Quadradial Stereo Preamplifier. I have only seen two of these on eBay in the last 8 years and this is one of them. This is the quad brother of Sony’s famous and still highly sought after TA-2000 Stereo preamp. Here’s a eBay link to the last one listed (TA-2000) that’s in terrible shape. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150231959202&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005
Considered to have one of the best phono preamps available rivaling expensive modern phone preamps with 70dbs of separation . The SQD model sq decoders were made to go with this. Matched with a SQD-2020 would be really something! This thing can anchor your system with stereo inputs of 2 phono inputs, tuner, aux and tape loop. It has 2 four channel inputs, one for a quad processor like an sq decoder and another for quad tape, CD-4 or a high rez source. Bass, treble and volume controls for all 4 channels. Has a reverb delay circuit to add rear channel sound to stereo recordings and ac outlets.
This quad preamp is in museum shape and I am hard pressed to find a flaw anywhere on the unit including the TAC-1 walnut case other than the first owner‘s name and some # etched on the back that you have to really have to look at to see. The original manual is also in fantastic shape with only the mildest yellowing for a 35 year old manual. I have been under utilizing it for a center channel preamp. This thing really should be the star in some one’s system! All the controls are absolutely quiet and every thing functions as it should. I will warranty the unit to be as described for 10 days after delivery. The unit will be double boxed for shipment. PM me if you are interested.

Attachments

• 6409_3.jpg
    6409_3.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 631
  • 6605_3.jpg
    6605_3.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 585
  • 6687_3.jpg
    6687_3.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 582
Last edited:
How is the TA-2240 compared to this one I have one I'm setting up to drive quad system was trying to pick between this and a pioneer 800a just using dts input
thanks
jim :mad:@:

Hi Jim!
Looks to be the same beast just missing the reverb/delay stuff. These are cool preamps, they seem to be very warm sounding to me. Jim give me some time, maybe this wknd and I will scan the manual in pdf and email it to you. Send me a pm w/your email address.

The funny thing about Sony, they did put out good equipment. DID is the operative word. I use 3 Sony 2000F preamps for my quad room system. These only come up once in a while on ebay, but are a spectacular unit with many inputs, unreal phono stages and no noise at all. These units all match in looks with this unit and the decoders and encoders and amps from this era.
This page has a look at these units.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/sonyvault/TA2000/TA2000.html

I meant this is great. It is very musical. Very. Casettes plays as never before. Phono is a little veiled on highs, but mids so sweet tempting you to listen and listen. It beghaves like a lawyer of every LP. Thank you.

Back