2010 QuadraphonicQuad eBay "SHOCKER" Log (Closed)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the updates for today, including some of the items noted above:

FORMAT
|
ARTIST/TITLE/NOTES
|
eBay ITEM No.
|
PRICE
|
NEW
DVD-AUDIO |EAGLES HOTEL CALIFORNIA| 200541014954 |$0193.59|
NEW!!
SACD |JAMES TAYLOR FLAG| 170549467895 |$0150.00|
NEW!!
QUADIO DVD |CHICAGO TRANSIT AUTHORITY| 190475996082 |$0104.03|
NEW!!

Q4|QUADRASTRINGS HOLLYWOOD GOLD v2| 260699467310 |$0100.99|
NEW!!

Q4|RAY MARTIN MEMORIES ARE MADE OF MUSIC| 250733740047 |$0100.99|
NEW!!

Q4|JETHRO TULL AQUALUNG| 250733821842 |$0322.55|
NEW!!

Q4|DEEP PURPLE STORMBRINGER| 260699500635 |$0360.00|
NEW!!

Q4|ALICE COOPER MUSCLE OF LOVE| 380290714353 |$0133.50|
NEW!!

SQ|PINK FLOYD DARK SIDE OF THE MOON (PINK VINYL AUSTRALIA)| 380295119843 |$0196.98|
NEW!!

SQ|ATOM HEART MOTHER (UK)| 300382648594 |$0124.95|
NEW!!

Q8|BILLY JOEL PIANO MAN| 250734514081 |$0104.01|
NEW!!
SACD |MIKE OLDFIELD TUBULAR BELLS (UK)| 360275261025 |$0120.00|
NEW!!

Whats with the Billy Joel tapes being so expensive... same thing with why aerosmith tapes hardly ever show up... i mean, werent those some of the biggest sellers back in the day? you would think that these tapes would almost always be for sale... like say, the seals and crofts tapes... theyre almost always available for purchase for a decent price... i could understand some of the less common rock albums (like Free-For-All, this is at the top of my wishlistas well) same with Wish You Were Here... you would think that would be as common as DSOTM. if anything you would think AHM would be the least common floyd album. i finally got my WYWH for 91 bucks a few weeks back. and thats after a year of searching for one. and i only got it that cheap because for the ripped end lable

Whats with the Billy Joel tapes being so expensive... same thing with why aerosmith tapes hardly ever show up... i mean, werent those some of the biggest sellers back in the day? you would think that these tapes would almost always be for sale... like say, the seals and crofts tapes... theyre almost always available for purchase for a decent price... i could understand some of the less common rock albums (like Free-For-All, this is at the top of my wishlistas well) same with Wish You Were Here... you would think that would be as common as DSOTM. if anything you would think AHM would be the least common floyd album. i finally got my WYWH for 91 bucks a few weeks back. and thats after a year of searching for one. and i only got it that cheap because for the ripped end lable

Yeah, well try and get a UK Q8 of DSOTM for $91

I got one cheap, but only becuase it was sold with a batch of other 8 tracks, and the seller didn't know he was sitting on gold.

A_L

Whats with the Billy Joel tapes being so expensive... ....

Well, remember that while the Billy Joel LPs (stereo and quad) were released by Columbia, the original contract he had with Family Productions required that his tapes (up to a certain point) were to be released by Family. The original stereo 8-tracks of "Cold Spring Harbor", "Piano Man" and "Streetlife Serenade" were only available on Family. The two quad tapes, "Piano Man" and "Streetlife Serenade" were only on Family as well. That's why you see them as yellow AMPEX 8-tracks and not the grey/while label Columbia tapes that you might expect.

That being said, the sell time on the Family tapes was pretty short, as the original contract ran out and the tapes reverted to Columbia. However, at that point, Columbia failed to create quad 8 tracks of these albums for some unknown reason.

That's why the Billy Joel Q8's are harder to find than those of some earlier Columbia tapes (some of which are plentiful even to this day), because they were never manufactured or released by Columbia!

Attachments

• streetlf.JPG
    streetlf.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 249
A_L, i understand the UK version being expensive. I think I remember that lot... It was 13 tapes right? I didn't bid because I wasn't into the quad thing back then... I was just looking for a copy of animals. This may be the wrong lot, but I'm thinking that it could be it. Got the QR of it that was made for me, but recently my reel deck started playing too fast and will not record on the front right channel... Yet another akai unit that let me down... It was supposedly REBUILT too. I just ordered a replacement for the akai 8 track, and I think it's time to try a teac reel deck. Thanks a million by the way :)

Jon, thanks for the pics, and now it makes sense. I was wondering what was up with the yellow ampex carts instead of the gray Columbia ones.

That "urban-liquidators" seller sure found himself a fortune. I bet he paid next to nothing for those tapes, probably purchased from an estate.

A_L, i understand the UK version being expensive. I think I remember that lot... It was 13 tapes right? I didn't bid because I wasn't into the quad thing back then... I was just looking for a copy of animals. This may be the wrong lot, but I'm thinking that it could be it. Got the QR of it that was made for me, but recently my reel deck started playing too fast and will not record on the front right channel... Yet another akai unit that let me down... It was supposedly REBUILT too. I just ordered a replacement for the akai 8 track, and I think it's time to try a teac reel deck. Thanks a million by the way :)

Jon, thanks for the pics, and now it makes sense. I was wondering what was up with the yellow ampex carts instead of the gray Columbia ones.

Yeah, I think that's the lot. I can recommend the Teac A3340S 4 channel R2R deck. Only drawback it won't play 3.75ips tapes, it's a high speed machine. But as far as I know, all pre-recorded quad reels were done at 7.5ips.
I've also just purchased a like new CR80DSS 8 track deck. If the seller is telling the truth, I'll be the third owner and it's in perfect operating condition. I have one of these decks currently, but the left rear channel isn't playing as loudly as the rest, and not having an alignment tape, I've not attempted to adjust it.

A_L

Yeah, I think that's the lot. I can recommend the Teac A3340S 4 channel R2R deck. Only drawback it won't play 3.75ips tapes, it's a high speed machine. But as far as I know, all pre-recorded quad reels were done at 7.5ips.
I've also just purchased a like new CR80DSS 8 track deck. If the seller is telling the truth, I'll be the third owner and it's in perfect operating condition. I have one of these decks currently, but the left rear channel isn't playing as loudly as the rest, and not having an alignment tape, I've not attempted to adjust it.

A_L

what do these run for usually?

ended up going for $260.

A REQUEST-would anyone with a QR copy of 'aqualung' and two quad r2rs in good shape be willing to run off a copy for me if i sent them a reel of maxell tape and a reasonable amount of cash for their time and machine use?
it looks like this would be the only way i'd ever get to experience one of my favourite albums in quad.

thanks!

ended up going for $260.

A REQUEST-would anyone with a QR copy of 'aqualung' and two quad r2rs in good shape be willing to run off a copy for me if i sent them a reel of maxell tape and a reasonable amount of cash for their time and machine use?
it looks like this would be the only way i'd ever get to experience one of my favourite albums in quad.

thanks!

A request also: How bout a nice 24/96 mulitichannel transfer to DVD-A :)

A_L

guys --i have been collecting quads since the beginning-had a q8 player in our gremlin! Time to play with records for a while, before i cant get up to flip the sides!
That "urban-liquidators" seller sure found himself a fortune. I bet he paid next to nothing for those tapes, probably purchased from an estate.

guys --i have been collecting quads since the beginning-had a q8 player in our gremlin! Time to play with records for a while, before i cant get up to flip the sides!

i could have but didn't. bought a few back in '73, then sort of forgot about the format.

the ol' coulda, woulda, shoulda...

I was once offered a sealed copy of Lovebox in exchange for a sealed copy of The Cardigans, maybe 2 years ago.
Didn't do it because I knew very little of Groove Armada and was trying to find a copy of Matt Bianco to trade the Cardigans for.

Now I have the other two GA discs and like them, and Matt Bianco still eludes me.
Should have gone for it....

2011 Shocker Log starts on January 28th, the Log Anniversary. We're going to have to split it up then, because it's getting too big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back