DTS-CD Splitting DTS encoded tracks

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bming

Since 2002/2003
For ages I have used Sonar to generate the separate wav channels for my surround sound DTS CD's. After creating the four mono wav files I save them as mono wavs then use Surcode to create the DTS wav file. I then import this encoded wav file back into sonar file as track 5. Using the original tracks as a guide I split the DTS tracks into inidiviudal tracks then save each of these segments as stereo wav files. Up until recently using these indiviudual wav files in by CD burining software created a functional DTS CD. Now all I get is white noise. using the unsplit wave file works fine but of course you end up with a 1 track CD. What am I doing wrong. It has worked fine up till now. Any suggestions. :(

Your description is confusing. Are you saying you are looking for a way to split up an album-length DTS WAV file into individual tracks? That would be incredibly simple. Using a working file, you can split your DTS file with AudioMuxer.

If that's what you're doing, you're taking one of the most incredibly convoluted ways of accomplishing a simple task I've ever seen. This is why I have to be understanding what you're trying to do incorrectly. :-/

Once I 've got the encoded DTS track I past it in Sonar underneath the original source tracks. As the physical length of the track is the same as the source wav files - where the tracks breaks are in the same place so I just line up the track and cut the DTS track as these points.
How does AudioMuxer split tracks. For example I would have 1 dtswave file for a copy of a Q8. How would you determine where the track breaks are with audioMuxer. Also what is AudioMuxer and where do you get it. I am up for a simpler way.

AudioMuxer is available at www.surroundbyus.com. You're going to need a working cue file to accomplish this, though. you should be able to build one using the individual source wav files and foobar, worst case scenario.

Once I 've got the encoded DTS track I past it in Sonar underneath the original source tracks. As the physical length of the track is the same as the source wav files - where the tracks breaks are in the same place so I just line up the track and cut the DTS track as these points.
How does AudioMuxer split tracks. For example I would have 1 dtswave file for a copy of a Q8. How would you determine where the track breaks are with audioMuxer. Also what is AudioMuxer and where do you get it. I am up for a simpler way.

Do *not* cut the DTS tracks at all - this causes the decoder to break operation and empty the buffers on the player.
Result on a slow decoder is losing the first couple of seconds on a track.
The only time you would use independant tracks is when you know there is a leading & trailing silence.

I use WaveLab here - create an Audio CD with your DTS-WAV file.
Convert to Audio Montage - file will look like 2 solid blocks (this is normal)
Add markers from a master list you compiled in your DAW (Nuendo allows export of .CSV files, which is just fine) and create CD.

I want to take 5.1 tracks that look like this in Audacity...

1569000000055.png

and convert them to look like this in Audacity...

1569000089005.png

Is it possible?
The top picture is the actual 5.1 file. The bottom picture is a Specweb conversion from a stereo file which I am using for example.

I want to take 5.1 tracks that look like this in Audacity...

View attachment 43262

and convert them to look like this in Audacity...

View attachment 43263

Is it possible?
The top picture is the actual 5.1 file. The bottom picture is a Specweb conversion from a stereo file which I am using for example.
Hmm, I have some Quad dts.wav files that show up in Foobar2000 as 2 track and once I convert to just .wav they show up as 4.0; is that the sort of thing you're trying to do? :unsure:

Hmm, I have some Quad dts.wav files that show up in Foobar2000 as 2 track and once I convert to just .wav they show up as 4.0; is that the sort of thing you're trying to do? :unsure:
Thanks for the reply. Yes, that's it exactly. I was trying a bunch of other conversion programs (before putting out the call), but they all gave the 2 track results. Using Foobar did what I wanted perfectly. Thanks a bunch Pupster. :D(y)

Out of the gazillion audio/video apps I have on my big PC, Foobar is not one of them. I have run across the name frequently but never found it do anything I couldn't do another way. Now I like the idea of working with dts this way. I will be DL'ing soon. Thanks!

Just install Foobar 2000 with the DTS plugin and you're done. Converting directly to Flac is possible for 4.0 and 5.1, if you have a 4.1 or 5.0 (extremely rare in dts) the flac encoder breaks, but you can always convert to wav, then encode to flac with audacity.
BTW, Neil's advice is very important: do not break dts album, break the conversion to individual tracks if you like it that way.

Out of the gazillion audio/video apps I have on my big PC, Foobar is not one of them. I have run across the name frequently but never found it do anything I couldn't do another way. Now I like the idea of working with dts this way. I will be DL'ing soon. Thanks!

Foobar can convert dvda iso, sacd iso, dtscd without hassle. Swiss knife.

Just install Foobar 2000 with the DTS plugin and you're done. Converting directly to Flac is possible for 4.0 and 5.1, if you have a 4.1 or 5.0 (extremely rare in dts) the flac encoder breaks, but you can always convert to wav, then encode to flac with audacity.
BTW, Neil's advice is very important: do not break dts album, break the conversion to individual tracks if you like it that way.
Where Can I Get The DTS and SACD Foobar Plug Ins please.??

Back