Quad LP/Tape Poll Lightfoot, Gordon: Sundown [CD-4/Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Sundown"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
And Gordon's commercial peak came in 1974 with this album and single, both #1 that summer...

Tracks:

1. Somewhere
2. High And Dry
3. Seven Island Suite
4. Circle Of Steel
5. Is There Anyone Home

6. The Watchman's Gone
7. Sundown
8. Carefree Highway
9. The List
10. Too Late For Prayin'

Attachments

• Lightfoot Sundown.jpg
    Lightfoot Sundown.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 710
Last edited:
I really enjoy both Lightfoot Q8's, probably lean in favor of Cold On The Shoulder as the better, probably because the tunes are less frequently heard. The mix is discreet, and well proportioned so as not to overpower the vocals. Wish other Warner titles were done like this.

An '8' here...given the style of music, hard to do wonders with a multi-channel mix, but it is very discrete, nice detail, well balanced. Too bad GORD'S GOLD didn't make the Quad cut, huh?

ED

Before I had this record in hand, I wondered if the sonics would match the stereo version.

It knocked me out! It is a beautiful record and shows what CD-4 could/can be at its best! (y) :sun

Doug

Last edited:
I like the album. The music is very enjoyable and as already stated above, the mix is done well and matches the style of music. It does not try to make something more than is there, but does a good job of making a full experience. (y)

My favorite song is "High and Dry". It's just made for quadraphonics because when Catherine Smith's voice comes out of those back speakers it's.. well it's just one of those wonderful experiences.

Doug

One of my favorite quad albums, my first to enjoy from beginning to end.
This made my a lifelong Lightfoot fan, although I've yet to find an album of his I've enjoyed half as much.
There is, truly, not a single track that isn't stellar.
My favorite is the 7-minute Seven Island Suite, the original flip side of Carefree Highway.
It's somewhat sad to know Gordon created this masterpiece while in the midst of drinking himself nearly to death.

The quad mix is near perfect, so a 10 for content and mix.

Alas, the sound quality for both mixes (stereo and quad) don't quite make it in 2009. The hissiness, soft high end and bass, and dated reverb are a tad intrusive.
My stereo CD was the first issue in 1987 and may not be from the master tape, so I'll reserve judgement until I hear a cleaned-up remaster.

I'm still giving it 10.

An '8' here...given the style of music, hard to do wonders with a multi-channel mix, but it is very discrete, nice detail, well balanced. Too bad GORD'S GOLD didn't make the Quad cut, huh?

ED

Personally I'd like to hear his "If you could read my mind" lp in quad.....
Anyway "Sundown" is a good recording...as was the stereo MFSL lp..favourite track is "Too late for Prayin' "...which is more like his earlier stuff from "If you could read my mind" .

"If You Could Read My Mind" was one of those buried songs on the Lp Sit Down Young Stranger, which spent a few weeks on the charts back in the summer of 1970. A mono remix of the song was issued later on as a 45 and that was the hit (the stereo version can be heard on GORD'S GOLD). Retitled after the hit (same cover, some pressings have the original title on the labels, too), it did a lot better. Great atmospheric, strange piece, the sort of pop record that makes you wonder where it came from (except that in his best romantic songs, Lightfoot always kept a safe distance from his ladies). There is nothing else quite like that one, and he never matched it, though his later singles came close at times.

ED :)

My vote for best Quad LP. Great performance, great mix. You can't dance to it, but it's still a 10.

And Doug, I believe that would be Cathy Evelyn Smith, Belushi's bungalow pal on his last night. She had been a gal pal of Gord's. Is she Sundown and/or Daylight Katie (on Endless Wire?)

Linda
There's a little room on my list for tonight...

My favorite song is "High and Dry". It's just made for quadraphonics because when Catherine Smith's voice comes out of those back speakers it's.. well it's just one of those wonderful experiences.

Doug

My vote for best Quad LP. Great performance, great mix. You can't dance to it...

I wish somebody had told ME that. :eek: :D

And Doug, I believe that would be Cathy Evelyn Smith, Belushi's bungalow pal on his last night. She had been a gal pal of Gord's. Is she Sundown and/or Daylight Katie (on Endless Wire?) Linda There's a little room on my list for tonight...

Yeah, I remember that. The little scamp. Cute though. Sundown was written about Lightfoot's and her relationship. You know...stay away from me because you drive me nuts... :mad: :howl

Doug

I agree about Seven Island Suite. I have a CD and a Mofi 1/2 speed LP. The CD-4 is my original copy and THE WAY to listen to this. I never get tired of it. In my top 10 albums ever.

Doug, driving him nuts may have been the least of it. More like: I have enough problems living in a bottle. I don't need you to get me high to boot.

I've seen him live several times, including at the Desert Inn in Vegas. His voice has become nasal and difficult to listen to in recent years.
"Seven Island Suite", my favorite track on this record. Great content and mix except for the slight elevated highs. I give it a 9.4.

Giving this a ten. The reel conversion I stumbled on over a decade ago is great. If you think Gordon is just an acoustic guitar and his voice, as I thought, this will quad release will indeed change that. Really love the full bass on this, sounds very thick. Crankable too in a mellow way. Underrated gem that I wish more people could hear with a proper Blu-ray release in 2018. I am perfectly happy with the version I have.

Underrated gem

Underrated?

Platinum album #1 US Billboard, # 1 Canada
Gold single #1 US Billboard, # 1 Canada
Nearly unanimous positive reviews from around the globe, including Rolling Stone
4-1/2 stars from AllMusic

Which part of that exactly spells "underrated?"

That overrated word is tossed around on the internet like candy with no connection to reality.
It should be banned.

Underrated?

Nearly unanimous positive reviews from around the globe, including Rolling Stone

That overrated word is tossed around on the internet like candy with no connection to reality.
It should be banned.

I don't think he was talking about the music....just the sound quality:)

Reactions: GOS
Underrated?

It should be banned.

In the quad community. All the posts on what should be released digitally, I rarely see this one. Not that many votes in this poll. Less than one page of comments here. This is a quad forum, keep that in mind. I didn't use the word "overrated" so calm down.

Back