The OFFICIAL "How many times have you purchased DSOTM" Thread/Poll

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Select the formats that you have purchased DSOTM over the years

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
OK QQ Members. Come clean and admit how many times you have purchased "Dark Side of the Moon". I have created a poll with a bunch of choices. Please make note in your reply if you have another version.

NOTE: The forum software only allows 12 choices, so this is it. I cannot add any more choices. Sorry
Let's see how demented we really are! :yikes

Choose all that apply. This is a public poll, with NO expiration date, however, you can only vote once, but you can select as many choices as may apply. It won't matter if you bought them used, new, or obtained them from questionable methods! :)

I ran out of fingers and needed to count on some toes for this.
For #13 for me is El Lado Obscuro De La Luna - Venzuela stereo LP

vinylguy4

Jon,
i will group the two SQ lp (german/uk) and place on the choices the MFSL CD.
By the way, i have the UDI release.

Jon,
i will group the two SQ lp (german/uk) and place on the choices the MFSL CD.
By the way, i have the UDI release.

I should have done that. I forgot all about the MFSL UDCD, even though I, of course, have it.

Too late at this point. Maybe I should create two polls, 1 for analog, 1 for digital

This poll made me realise that for 7 years, between leaving my vinyls behind in my home country and buying the SACD in 2003, I did not possess any copy of this must-have album. Hmm, so then I could think of the Immerson box as a compensation... :rolleyes:

Great thread Jon...a little psychological analysis of the members , huh? :rolleyes:

So...I'm not as demented as I thought I was...guilty 3 times!

1-MFSL LP (sold cause my first turntable somehow didn't like it and it created a HUGE gouge on side B "by accident")

2-Capitol SACD-sold it cause I consider it an insult to my intelligence after having my jaw drop when I listened to AP's masterpiece Quad mix...I didn't even listen to the whole thing , I was THAT insulted...(this is where my dementia sprouts ;) )

3- German SQ..the only one I have today...

looking forward to hearing AP's Quad mix, be it on BluRay or through a charitable soul who'll transfer it to 96/24 4.0 DVD-A...

Cheers!

Only the Capitol SACD for me, never owned it previous to that purchase. I would like the Blu-ray and hope it is available at popular prices soon.

Not enough choices. Left out Japan Pro-Use, Emi Centennial, 97 vinyl collection (both 130+180gram editions) US picture disc, First XI UK box, First XI NZ box, Italian box, MFSL cassette (both issues), MFSL digital audio tape, Holland white vinyl.

A_L

Edit: left out a few. 20tj anniversary CD, Japan mini-lp cd, Discovery box, MFSL CD, Shine On Box.

1 - US Harvest/Capitol stereo pressing bought in summer of 1974 when I was 15 and figured out that three songs I used to hear a lot on the radio and liked were all from the same album.

2 - Harvest UK SQ quad bought summer of 1977 with graduation present money after hearing the quad "Us and Them" on KZAP and immediately noticing the different mix.

3 - US Capitol picture disc

4 - Dutch white vinyl

5 - MFSL cassette

6 - Japanese "black face" CD bought early 1985. Not the earlier "black triangle" version--mine has no pre-emphasis.

7 - MFSL CD

8 - "Shine On" box

9 - SACD

10 - Immersion box

I'm probably forgetting some.

Well, I've purchased the bugger too many times, really, but I can say that about other albums, too, so what's there to say, crank it up? :D

ED :)

Only a few:
Harvest Stereo UK LP
Harvest Stereo LP greek edition ? (Dont ask)
Original EMI CD
20th Anniversary CD
30th Anniversary SACD
38th Anniversary Immersion Box
Bootleg DVDA

I heard this record played in college so many times, usually very loudly, that I actually never felt the need to buy any copies until the last decade, when I got the CD and then the SACD. Still on the fence about the Immersion box - I've got a $40 Best Buy gift card burning a hole in my pocket and may want to use it in the WYWH box.

Now, I feel a bit more sane. There are others who have bought copy upon copy of classic albums! Here's my DSOTM chronological recap:
1- US 2ch LP
2- UK SQ LP
3- MoFi 1/2 speed LP
4- MoFi UHQR LP
5- Toshiba/EMI Japan CD 1982
6- MoFi Gold CD
7- Shine On Box
8- SQ CD (don't ask!)
9- SACD
10-IMMERSION--should this count as multiple copies? because it is.

They're perfecting a rubber room that doubles as an anechoic chamber especially for me.

Linda
Softer Side of the Moon

I bought my first LP in 1974, I was 18. I also have purchased the SACD version, the standard CD, plus I just bought Out of Phase's version of DSM. I like their version of The Wall (Out of Phase), but DSM was worth the few dollars I paid for it. I also have the DVD making of the DSM.

Last summer when my daughter was 16 she was visiting and wanted to hear DSM, but I didn't (sick of Money). I put it on and quickly realized that I had forgotten how good it sounded. I was using a Kenwood KA-8006 amp with Bozak 302A's and Pioneer HPM 100's. My daughter says "Hey Dad I feel the floor vibrating".

I think I may even have the DSM picture disc, I bought a bunch of Picture disks when they were cleaning out the warehouses of vinyl when CD's started to take off.

paid $4.95 for the LP in the day.
Then an 8 track for the car and outdoor parties ( pop open the trunk)(boot)
then onto cd
sacd
and finally BD, bought the set and sold off all but BD
LIke "Star Wars" It just contiues to sell. amazing indeed!

Only 3:

NZ Harvest Vinyl
2003 Remaster 30th Anniversary 180 Gram Vinyl
2003 SACD

I'd expect that the cassette still looks the same, except for a little extra dust.

Yes, Dr. Jon, Tubular Bells might be a good candidate for a poll. While you're at it, Machine Head, Captain & Me, Blow by Blow, Crazy Eyes, 461 Ocean Blvd., Billion Dollar Babies, Head Hunters, Allmans at Fillmore, Eat a Peach, Ship Ahoy, Band on the Run, Venus and Mars, Fly Like an Eagle, Days of Future Passed, Seventh Sojurn, Aqualung, Wish You Were Here, No Secrets, Aretha, Fire, Honey, Not Fragile, CTA, Chicago II, and the ever-popular Bjorn & Benny sing Neil Diamond might be good candidates for similar polls. On second thought, I don't think Bjorn & Benny did either Quads or a Neil Diamond covers album. Nevermind.

I have the SACD and cassette (haven't seen the cassette in years). Jon, you could probably do a similar poll for "Tubular Bells".

Justin

Back