Quad LP/Tape Poll Pink Floyd - WISH YOU WERE HERE [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SQ/Q8 release of Pink Floyd - WISH YOU WERE HERE

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this SQ LP/Quad 8 release from 1975.

wywh_q8-2.jpg

I gave the quad mix a 10 based on the sq of the Blu ray version.

This is getting even more confusing. This is a poll for the older quad version, right? If so, basing a grade on the Immersion version only muddies things further.

I gave this a nine for a few reasons:

Q8 Left and right channels are reversed.
Quad Mix on Blu Ray: Missing about two measures of music just before the Clavinet kicks in during SOYCD part 8. For those who don't know, a Clavinet is a bass keyboard. It has a short percussive bass sound.

A_L

Got my UK LP from Cai's(RIP) collection...
very minty!(no card though)
Made my own DVD-A conversion,,,which I did not save either the Hi Rez Stereo or Surround files..and the disc I made went south..it was the ONLY copy I had of that too...
Learned my lesson , now...
will do another conversion , this time with a better cart and scripts...
the one I originally made was not bad...
A quite enjoyable experience...but for those who come from AP's DSOTM mix will be disappointed because , yes, it's PF, ....apples and oranges , kiddies...
The material is VERY different.
Tha mix does justice to the material.
The "machine " section is very well done and "imaged". The extra bars ac. guitars are also a great plus...

I give it a 10 cause it's my fave PF record and the mix is very "fitting"...if it were more discrete, it would not "hold together" the material as well...

8. Great mix, but material is not as good as DSOTM, Meddle, or Atom Heart Mutha. I have the UK SQ, Q8 and Blu-Ray of this.

UK SQ:
View attachment 8753
View attachment 8752

US SQ:
View attachment 8750
View attachment 8751

Show off!!
>:=P
\
.....thhhhhpppttttttt......
(yes, blowing rapsberries!)
ñeñeñeñe, and besides, your US SQ has a ripped blue shrinkwrap...mleeehhhh!!!

And besides...
Not fair since having sold HiFi stuff for a living will give you the edge just by itself!

No , seriously , musically I think WYWH is excellent and their best effort(after DSOTM) before starting their decline during "Animals"

(¡¡¡Un abrazo y Feliz Año Nuevo, Linda!!!)

8. Great mix, but material is not as good as DSOTM, Meddle, or Atom Heart Mutha. I have the UK SQ, Q8, DVD-A and Blu-Ray of this.

Impressive - but you need the SACD, and there are SQ pressings from other countries too... e.g. New Zealand and Australia. :eek:
yAuWYWHq.jpg

Cheers! I have most of the quad versions of WYWH and being a bit picky there is one element which is missing from the versions I have heard. At the end of "Welcome to the Machine" as the song fades out and the "party recording" sound effect fades out at the very end of the track there is a popping sound, almost like a tennis ball being struck with echo, in the stereo versions of WYWH. None on the quad versions I have heard have this element, as far as I know. The Q8 original version may have it, and it was left off in the DTS-CD as "Have a Cigar" quite quickly at the end of "Welcome to the Machine." I gave the recording a 9 as I have no other issue with it.

Yes, this mix does have a few missing or altered parts relative to the stereo mix, but nothing deal-breaking, or glaring as you will find on, for instance, the Moody Blues' DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED, which barely had enough multitracks to concoct a quad mix (some tracks are missing overdubs, but you have to be a real fan of the album to catch those).

This is one of my favorite quad albums, if only because it's more episodic and nicely meandering in scope compared to DSOTM, which, let's face it, is a fun listen but has those 'noisy' spots that can grate under repeated listening, whereas WYWH is more contemplative; the playing is relaxed and measured, stretched out to create a unique atmopshere. And when it is a bit wild--WTTM, for example--the mix is so good it's a fun kind of excess, like listening to Keith Emerson roaming around the room in BRAIN SALAD.

Given the complexity of a recording like this one, it's kinda surprising we don't notice more 'errors' of addition or omission, or things out of balance. In the end, it's a great mix faithful to the stereo version, but the quad gives the album a depth of field it needs.

ED :)

This is a very nice-sounding recording. One other thing that comes to mind is, considering how good this version and also the Q8 version of DSOTM sound I can't figure out why EMI decided to remix them for SACD. Cost-cutting seems to be the rule of thumb today and going with the old quad masters would have resulted in very good-sounding SACDs.

My guess is that since DSOTM & WYWH were among the best selling Quads, the cost of remixing them would insure many more sales, since many people own the Quad mixes already. The original Quad mix and new 5.1 are both available on DVD-V and Blu-Ray-A on the Immersion boxes.
1.jpg
JK171804.jpg
1.jpg
1.jpg

This is a very nice-sounding recording. One other thing that comes to mind is, considering how good this version and also the Q8 version of DSOTM sound I can't figure out why EMI decided to remix them for SACD. Cost-cutting seems to be the rule of thumb today and going with the old quad masters would have resulted in very good-sounding SACDs.

Well, we can be sure that the band had the ultimate say in having these two albums remixed. Now all we have to do is talk them into doing ANIMALS and, miracle of miracles, MEDDLE, which would be a real treat, of course. And yes--and specifically, worldwide--DSOTM and WYWH had to be among the best-selling quad vinyl/tape packages. I'd add to that list THE BEST OF THE DOORS and of course ALOHA FROM HAWAII, which is in many collections of fans who otherwise could care less about quad, or don't even know what it is and just dig the music.

ED :)

Is it me or is the cough at the begining of the song WYWH either non-existant or extremely quitet on the quad mix?

Is it me or is the cough at the begining of the song WYWH either non-existant or extremely quitet on the quad mix?

It's edited out. If you listen closely you can hear where the cut happens.

A_L

Cheers! I have most of the quad versions of WYWH and being a bit picky there is one element which is missing from the versions I have heard. At the end of "Welcome to the Machine" as the song fades out and the "party recording" sound effect fades out at the very end of the track there is a popping sound, almost like a tennis ball being struck with echo, in the stereo versions of WYWH. None on the quad versions I have heard have this element, as far as I know. The Q8 original version may have it, and it was left off in the DTS-CD as "Have a Cigar" quite quickly at the end of "Welcome to the Machine." I gave the recording a 9 as I have no other issue with it.

There's a quite a few elements missing and some things added to the original quad mix. Most noticeable:

Have a Cigar has an extended outro
Wish You Were Here has the cough and sniff edited out. The mix also has slide guitar high in the mix and little to no "scat" singing in the mix.
Shine On you Crazy Diamond (Parts VI though IX): extended funky groove section (this is missing on the immersion set quad release) and no piano in the mix during the slow synth outro.

A_L

Well Geez,

As PF is my favorite band, this is a much loved album for me. My first two quads were this and the DSOTM in SQ. Couldn't reproduce them in quad at the time, but loved the differences in the content of the stereo playback (such as the extended guitar solo on HAC. Now I have all the versions and the ability to play them back.

I am not one who wishes they would just keep the original mix for re-release as opposed to remixing, particularly in light of the fact that (most of) the original mix is included on the Immersion box. My reason? I really like all the variations and versions. This is part of what makes collecting fun and challenging. I also enjoy alternate treatments of the same material as a way of gaining perspective on the underlying material.

This said, I listen to the 4.0 versions more than the 5.1.

Also, there IS documentation of a 4.0 mix of Meddle having been executed and played for the press in 1971. I forwarded this information to James Guthrie, and hopefully they have followed up and looked in the archives for it. Perhaps one day it will surface.

This is an easy 10.

Ken

That pink little piggy is going to fly one day, Roger will at some point need to milk something else

So fly little piggy fly

Back