DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson - Thick As A Brick 2 [DTS/DD DVD+CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Ian Anderson - THICK AS A BRICK TWO

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments on Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson - Thick As A Brick 2 (DTS & Dolby) DVD(n)(y)

Attachments

• TAAB.jpg
    TAAB.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 855
Last edited:
Wow! Solid 9. I did not expect anything this good! Sure, the mix and fidelity were bound to be stellar. This is one of the best 5.1 mixes I've heard! The channel assignment of the multitracked vocals is exquisite!

The material here is the biggest surprise. TAAB (1) was never a favorite of mine, although I've owned four copies. This will be a money grab, riding on the coattails of TAAB, or so I thought. Wrong! Ian gives us pause to reflect on the past and future direction of our boomer existence. My retirement and life changes are echoed here. In my case, the eternal rat race coupled with philanthropy, now exchanged for service to and educating others. He quotes Locomotive Breath, TAAB, Passion Play and Heavy Horses without being trivial or bogged down. I won't be humming any of these songs, yet it stands as one of his best works of recent times.

7-8 for performance. 11 for both the mix and fidelity! Solid 9.

This will be a money grab, riding on the coattails of TAAB

These were my thoughts and little here has changed my mind. I seem to recall IA stating that surround or quad held little interest to him and in general I find him to be a somewhat cynical being. Not that we can base our like or dislike of music based upon the personalities of its creators. There'd be very little music I could like if that be the circumstance. Obviously things have changed where there seems to be a market for surround.

Apart from all that, we do get something that is worthy of Mr Anderson. Nothing that really grabs me on this, and nothing as original or groundbreaking as the original. Having read Linda's post, I will have to pay more attention next listen rather than laying a new floating floor in my loungeroom. There are several motifs in the all that relate to the original TAAB but nothing that smacks of 'milking' the original work. All in all, a nice release and thank you for another surround disc to add to my library. Now, bring on the original TAAB in the proposed box set

Reading, or at least intently listening to the lyrics will make the difference. Otherwise, it's just well engineered and recorded drivel. Perhaps I overrated this because it resonates with what's going on in my life. Likely many other boomer Tull fans will feel the same.

While I have already commented on this on another thread, I cast my vote here as an 8. I cannot disagree with any previous comment here regarding quality of recording, performance or even lyrical content - all quite good. For me though, with the exception of one or two tracks (there are 17 here - quite unlike the original), the musical composition seems a bit sketchy. Not in the sense of being suspect but in being incomplete. The prog noodling bits (IMO) are a bit generic though well executed. With the exception of the track "Change of Horses," the songs, while rich in lyrical content, have little thematic focus - or for lack of a better description, a "hook." Still, all in all a worthwhile investment if for no other reason than for SW's masterful mix.

It may be unfair to draw parallels to the original TAAB, but it is Anderson who invites the comparison.

I wouldn't call this a masterpiece, but then, to be honest, I wouldn't call the original one, either. I think both are well-executed thematic efforts that go far beyond the typical concept of an album. I don't really care about motivation or how it compares to the original. I'm just glad there are some musicians pushing the envelope and reminding us that music can be more than just background noise. I gave it a 9 because the mix and sound are masterful, and the music is memorable. I reserve tens for perfection.

I was very pleased with the opening of the disc. Familiar sounds from Thick as a Brick emanating from the rear got my ears ready for what was next. What did follow was a wonderful recording with musicianship that I thought was better than expected. Mr. SW, my hat is off to you for another stellar job. Thank You!
Mr. Anderson, my wife described this effort as "Very Clever" and I can't agree more. Your use of subtle touches from TAAB throughtout was just enough to let this stand on its own.
Very enjoyable and probably the best music to come from Mr. Anderson in quite some time.
A solid 9 from me. :smokin

It is a good effort. I think the lyrics are clever (and it helps to read the booklet or the screens as they have headings that are hard to pick up from the songs alone). At first listen the music seems not as prolific as the original TAAB.
I liked it but have to played it again before casting a vote, looking forward to SW's mix of the original.

A "9" from me. This is an excellent example of how a new album should be done and proves that you can do a follow-up worthy to a nigh-on 40 year old classic album and make it work both in context and in its' own right.

Great music and musicianship and even better lyrics (some are very clever indeed and topical, spot-on) combined with a wonderful 5.1 mix that only serves to enhance the listening experience. I suspect I'll be playing (and enjoying) this pretty regularly.

Roll on September and the original in all it's Surround sound glory..!

I've really enjoyed this one. The sound quality and mix are top notch and it's a much better album than I expected. When I first heard about it, I thought it sounded like an artist lacking in new ideas and then when I heard Martin Barre wouldn't be involved, I really expected the worst. But now I'm amazed that a 65 year old musician can still be this creative and think it's a great new Jethro Tull disc. I know it's listed as an Ian Anderson solo album, but it sounds like Tull to me. And very good Tull at that.

I just wish I was seeing a show on the tour he's doing later this year.

K

I do have the chance to see TAAB 1&2 live here in Nashville this fall. After hearing the stereo edition in the car a few times, I am now enjoying the 5.1 for the first time. SW's mix is very complimentary to the material and this release is such a fun surprise altogether. I can probably swing a single ticket by then.

Heads up for those who don't have this yet (like me)..
amaz*n.c*.uk has it listed for 8.81 GBP !!!!
Last time I had checked it was 3 times this price...(reason why I hadn't got it..)
also scored Kraftwerk's "Minimum Maximum" DTS DVD-V
Only a few left for both...

I just ordered this from Amazon. Will give a review shortly.

I like this disc. Overall quite pleasant rather than revelatory. Ironically I think it owes more to the pastoral Tull era (i.e. Heavy Horses) than it does to the original TAAB - at least relating to song structure. I'm not as enamored with the sound quality as others. I find it a bit sterile. An 8 for me.

I wish I would have seen this concert tour when it was paired with TAAB.

I received this today. Nice album, great mixes. The musicianship certainly is not up to the standards of JT but still decent. I would recommend this title to anyone.

Back