DVD/DTS Poll Beck Bogert & Appice - Beck Bogert & Appice [DTS CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD of Beck Bogart & Appice - BECK, BOGART AND APPICE

• 10 Great mix, Great Sonics, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations about this title...(y) (n)

Tough call because Lady is arguably a definitive rock classic, always a favorite track. Couldn't wait for that Q8 to return to that spot!

Maybe not a signature album for Jeff Beck as the Blow By Blow album forward kind of kicks sand on this material. Superstition is right up there and the balance is listenable. Overall a lot of fun and perfectly viable for the summer of 1973 and a few years beyond.

The mix is always aggressive Columbia style similar to Johnny Winter releases with rhythm section across the front and guitars mixed around the room, mainly anchored in the rears. Beck overdubbed so many little sweetners, they come from everywhere.

Last edited:
I just got this one out and gave it a listen, haven't listened to it in a year or more. I didn't remember it being real good, but am really glad i gave it a spin. I really thought the surround mix was great, and the music was better than i remembered also. Had to give it a 9. Found a burried gem in my own collection. (y)

old old thread. had to chime in, jeff beck - carmine apice and tim bogart. hmmm sound familiar-I know! Vannila Fudge!
and cactus come to mind. BTW VF is still touring, it seems the hit theyn had in 67 rings true, "You keep me hanging on"
minus the beck of course

An 8. Being both a Beck fan, and a VF fan, this one is a natural fit. I have this on Q8 & DTS CD. I've also had the Japan LP & CD of Live. All good stuff, but I am left feeling that somehow it could have been better. An old classic, none the less.

An 8. Being both a Beck fan, and a VF fan, this one is a natural fit. I have this on Q8 & DTS CD. I've also had the Japan LP & CD of Live. All good stuff, but I am left feeling that somehow it could have been better. An old classic, none the less.

Linda, no Vannila Fudge? no Cactus? saw Cactus in really small club long time ago.

Linda, no Vannila Fudge? no Cactus? saw Cactus in really small club long time ago.

Sorry, I don't own any Cactus. I did say that I'm a VF fan. I'm complete on individual VF albums, including the recent stuff. I didn't pop for the Rhino Handmade VF box, though I'm still considering it.

A client of mine knows Carmine. Carmine was kind enough to give him a pair of autographed sticks and to sign the first VF CD for me, gratis. TY, Carmine!!

Speaking of sticks, there was a "circle of sticks" as part of the Rock and Roll Hall's "I Want to Take You Higher '65-'69." I have a photo of it, even though photos were verboten. Needless to say, the sticks were all from famous rock dummers of that era. They also had Skip Spence's fringe jacket from the cover of the first Moby Grape album, my all-time favorite. I spent the entire day there. Magical.

Sorry, I don't own any Cactus. I did say that I'm a VF fan. I'm complete on individual VF albums, including the recent stuff. I didn't pop for the Rhino Handmade VF box, though I'm still considering it.

A client of mine knows Carmine. Carmine was kind enough to give him a pair of autographed sticks and to sign the first VF CD for me, gratis. TY, Carmine!!

Speaking of sticks, there was a "circle of sticks" as part of the Rock and Roll Hall's "I Want to Take You Higher '65-'69." I have a photo of it, even though photos were verboten. Needless to say, the sticks were all from famous rock dummers of that era. They also had Skip Spence's fringe jacket from the cover of the first Moby Grape album, my all-time favorite. I spent the entire day there. Magical.

You never fail to come through! But I'll manage to stump you! got any Fents?

No Fents. I guess you got me, Stumpy.

A HA!! Really good band! I think out of CA. I only ever heard one album, then we wrote to the address on the cd and never heard back. There was a local fm jazz show and the jock had a cassette, but my friend has a cd.
Cactus, really good band, saw them at a small club long ass time ago. my stupid friends had a crummy band who opened, and refused to go on after Cacatus because 1 you could hear them for once,2 they heard just how bad the sucked. can't blame them, it was embarrassing. Ended up with playing a cassette during breaks.

[hand raised] I can help with that. :) I always liked BBA warts and all. Cactus - Roach Chester is a great authorized radio bootleg too.

The Fents (Los Angeles) made a first class (live to two track?) album called First Offense. They opened for The Steve Morse Band in San Diego in 1983. I called the phone number on the back of the album and spoke to Adam not long after the show! In 1987, they made a second album on Passport Jazz called The Other Side with a new bass player. Lost track of them after that, guitarist Ted Hall went into film business and is responsible for fixing all the missing audio elements (footsteps, arrows) in Yellow Submarine 1998 DVD re-issue. When Ted played on stage he had a look of intensity somewhere between inventing electricity and wetting his pants.

Skip ahead to 2011 and we find that Steven Wilson asked Adam Holzman to man the keyboards on his solo tour. Seems he did play with Miles Davis in between and also release at least one solo album (Overdrive). So I googled and found where I could have First Offense on CD with 3 bonus tracks! So I wrote him a brief note to his NYC address discussing his music. We then saw him play with SW in Chicago in November and several weeks later I got a package with the CD in it. I was just about to throw out the shipping envelope when I noticed he had written a little note to send along with the disc and here it is:

adam.jpg

Last edited:
Back