DVD/DTS Poll Opeth - Blackwater Park [DTS/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Opeth - BLACKWATER PARK

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments on Opeth's Blackwater Park

Attachments

• 51dJQtmoLNL._SS400&#.jpg
    51dJQtmoLNL._SS400&#.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 580
On Amazon UK, a couple of reviewers are claiming that on 'The Drapery Falls', "...the song "Harvest" is repeated on loop all the way through, at 50% of the volume, meaning you can barely hear anything but Mikael's vocals for The Drapery Falls."

Can anyone confirm/deny this?

On Amazon UK, a couple of reviewers are claiming that on 'The Drapery Falls', "...the song "Harvest" is repeated on loop all the way through, at 50% of the volume, meaning you can barely hear anything but Mikael's vocals for The Drapery Falls."

I just listened to my copy purchased from Amazon UK. The DTS 5.0 sounds really good, no problem (loop) as mentioned. I did not check the Dolby Digital or CD.

It seems every new Opeth surround mix is an improvement on the previous.
This time the center channel is (heavily:)) used, but there are also lots of surround surprises where parts are placed discretely in the rears.
I have not yet finished listening, so I'll vote later. It seems like a winner to me.

For those who dismiss an album when it contains grunting, you can safely skip this one :p

Last edited:
I give this one a 9 due to fact that the mixes are getting much better with each release. A added channel for a sub would have earned it a 10. The growling and grunting was a little strange at first, but I have grown to like it.

I fount this on an Opeth forum
"Jens delivered a perfect master and the mistake was made by the DVD authoring house Sony used. We´re now discussing with Sony on how to solve the problem and they´re currently busy recalling stock from retail to replace with correct discs. No minor undertaking and one of the worst things that can happen to a record label. Sony is doing eveything in its power to fix this but it´ll be hard replacing discs that were already sold.
ALL VIP´s that went to the Stockholm, NYC and LA shows are in a way lucky as they all had items missing from the goodie bags that we have yet to send. Their packages will also include a correct DVD.

BTW: if you have a stereo that has DTS instead of dolby you wont have this problem. Also, dolby 5.0 simply means that the low frequency signal thats usually directed to the subwoofer is now divided between the 5 ´normal´ speakers. In general that give you a better sound for rock music though you might miss it if you prefer to play loud ass techno "music". (but why you would want to play that anyway is beyond me. Really...)

Hope this clears things up a bit. An official statement on the faulty DVD´s will be made as soon as we know all the details."

So it seems like the new batch should be ok, but the original dts track didn't have the problem anyway. Still odd that this happened.
I ordered my copy yesterday and just got confirmation of shipping. I'm really stoked about this release. It looks very promising. I love the "Still Life" surround.

Recieved it today! Ordered from Omerch UK. Haven't listened to it yet!
Just wanted to let you know that they shipped the original package (with the faulty dvd, I suspect) already in shrinkwrap, plus an additional dvd (the correct one) in a clear plastic sleeve. So it looks like it's been taken care of, and people can order that Legacy edition knowing they'll get the right dvd. And collectors can still get the one with the mistake!

edit: I'll just edit my post since it looks like I'm having a chat with myself!

I have listened to the dts mix of both dvds and they're identical. Then I just sampled the dolby digital mix of The Drapery Falls and it's what I originally thought. The dvd in the packaging is faulty (has Harvest playing in the right rear) while the second dvd they provided is ok. So the problem is solved!.....and I have a backup dvd with a correct dts track!...sweet!

My appreciation of the 5.0 mix ranks very high, but I have to listen to it a few more times before I come up with a decent review!

Last edited:
8 is the highest this disc can get from me.

No lossless options and no LFE. So a point deducted for each of those things.

This is terrible. The mix is atrocious at times. Guitars way too loud at rears with bass, drums and vocals WAAAAY too low in the mix. A complete mess.

This is terrible. The mix is atrocious at times. Guitars way too loud at rears with bass, drums and vocals WAAAAY too low in the mix. A complete mess.

What? I just listent to it again and wanted to know what you think about it. I have to disagree.
The mix is really heavy and well balanced.

I also really can not understand, why rtbluray gives an 8 only because it is DTS and we have no sub in here....:mad:@:

A 10 for sure!

8 is the highest this disc can get from me.

No lossless options and no LFE. So a point deducted for each of those things.

Sorry, I can't help myself. I just have to say again: "No LFE is a good thing with audio disks. The LFE channel is redundant with a properly mastered audio disk."

What? I just listent to it again and wanted to know what you think about it. I have to disagree.
The mix is really heavy and well balanced.

I also really can not understand, why rtbluray gives an 8 only because it is DTS and we have no sub in here....:mad:@:

A 10 for sure!

I had my rears too high when I made that comment. They were still turned up from a previous disc. Once I had them sorted BWP is actually pretty decent! Much better than Ghost Reveries and less compressed than Still Life. Jens is really inconsistent with his mixes but he can be good.

I still hope SW will remix the whole Opeth catalog, I would prefer Opeth to JT, KG, GG or any other band he has done.

I've never been a fan of growling vocals, but since Opeth fans consider this a classic, I thought I'd give it a try... Well, these growls KICK A**! I LOVE this!! This disc has been in heavy rotation in my car the last two weeks, and I've now given the surround mix a few spins: really nice mix with many discrete guitar and vocal elements throughout; good dynamics (but it does sound slightly compressed during the busier moments), and fantastic, shredding, heavy, growling goodness throughout. These songs are classic metal from start to finish. The clean vocal parts and acoustic interludes really make for an immersive musical journey. A 9.

Back