Ten Years After - A space in Time (2012 4.1 Release!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I the first to notice that the front and back are swapped? Guess I'm gonna have to fix this one now...

I have long suspected that the SQ LP was the same way. Whenever I listen to it, I get the impression that the front and rear outputs of my Tate are switched.

I don't know how to fix it, so I will have to spin my chair around. :eek:

Am I the first to notice that the front and back are swapped? Guess I'm gonna have to fix this one now...

NO WAY..?!? I gave it a quick spin last night and I thought it a bit disconcerting to have all the lead vocals in the rear channels.. but I eventually got used to it and thought "meh, quirky old quad mix!".. I never thought for a moment the channels were all to cock..!!!

Soooo...in the end..
are the channels swapped?

I've never heard the original SQ but it appears from what Quadzilla has said that it was that way all along.

Whether the mix on the reel (was it one of the underground "Robin" reels? or whatever they were!?) was the same (i.e. rear channels with lead vocals etc and other instruments in the front pair) and/or the original mix was created intentionally that way (possible but seems unlikely) I don't know either.

there's no information in the new LP/DVD package about this either, so failing someone on here in the industry (e.g. Neil) contacting EMI and getting an answer, I guess we'll never know for sure..?!?

It's been a while since I've played the SQ, or listened to a dts-cd of the Q8, but I'm fairly confident that all versions I've ever heard of this mix up until this point had the vocals in the front.

Whether the mix on the reel (was it one of the underground "Robin" reels? or whatever they were!?) was the same (i.e. rear channels with lead vocals etc and other instruments in the front pair) and/or the original mix was created intentionally that way (possible but seems unlikely) I don't know either.

Well, the idea of having vocals in the rear is far from new, and has been used before, such as on BJH's 'Once Again'. And why should vocals be front only? it's called creative mixing

Well, I CAN confirm that the vocals and drums are in the Front in the conversion that I have , at least in the 1st song (yes, the guitars are in the rears)...

wow, what a royal screw up if the new release is "backwards"...:mad:@:

Well, the idea of having vocals in the rear is far from new, and has been used before, such as on BJH's 'Once Again'. And why should vocals be front only? it's called creative mixing

I've heard enough quad (including the BJH) to know that sometimes the people remixing this stuff back in the day did get "creative" and shove lead vox in the rears.. but in this instance somehow it just didn't sound "right".

I guess that's confirmed now by guys here saying their SQ, Q8 & conversions all present the lead vocals up front.

just another "Mew-tilation", I spose..!?

shame I had to fork out £33 for a set with an LP I didn't want, with a screwed up quad mix (on a lossy DVD-V) that I could have got online for FREE (no doubt in lossless) that has its channels the right way round.

so much for supporting the music industry in the hope of keeping these kinds of releases going.

it's just as well EMI are being bought out. maybe in future they'll get their act together.

it's pretty shameful when enthusiasts and "amateurs" do a better job than the so-called "professionals".

Good thing I bought this for the stereo 24/96 version.

I don't have a surround setup currently, although was hoping to play this in quad whenever I would get a setup again. Maybe they will offer replacements.

EMI has always been a bunch of hacks. Side 2 of the Magical Mystery Tour LP in electronic stereo, even on the Mobile Fidelity LP and Beatles Box issues. The Beatles Capitol Albums CD box with one album in Stereo twice on the same disc, rather than once in stereo and once in mono. Should I continue with their boneheadedness?

For all their sakes, I hope that they've been high or drunk. I fear that they have just had repeated bouts of extreme incompetence.

just another "Mew-tilation", ...EMI are being bought out. maybe in future they'll get their act together.

Last edited:
Guess I'll wait until they offer a corrected version. Dear EMI, I have no want to purchase defective items. Please remedy this situation post-haste. Thank you.

Guess I'll wait until they offer a corrected version. Dear EMI, I have no want to purchase defective items. Please remedy this situation post-haste. Thank you.

I'm tempted to go further and write them a strongly worded letter expressing my disquiet.. I'm SO disappointed.

I schlepped all the way into town in my lunch break to pick this thing up - at an inflated price..

Why!?

..so I wouldn't have to trek to the Post Office and queue up for ages like a wally to collect the parcel that wouldn't fit through my post box if I bought it from amazon!

GRR..!!

it seemed the lesser of two evils to just go and buy it, as i could use the opportunity to check out what else the store had surround-wise (nothing as it turned out!)..

..and why wouldn't it fit through my post box!?

..because it's stupidly got a frickin great big walloping LP in it -- that I don't want or need..!!!

LIVID :mad:

Another good reason for staying with the conversion already available, me thinks....

I'm tempted to go further and write them a strongly worded letter expressing my disquiet.. I'm SO disappointed.

I schlepped all the way into town in my lunch break to pick this thing up - at an inflated price..

Why!?

..so I wouldn't have to trek to the Post Office and queue up for ages like a wally to collect the parcel that wouldn't fit through my post box if I bought it from amazon!

GRR..!!

it seemed the lesser of two evils to just go and buy it, as i could use the opportunity to check out what else the store had surround-wise (nothing as it turned out!)..

..and why wouldn't it fit through my post box!?

..because it's stupidly got a frickin great big walloping LP in it -- that I don't want or need..!!!

LIVID :mad:

Totally agree with you.. I'd be freakin' mad too!!!
and, curiously:
ALL of my yamazon.co.uck are shipped thru COURIER (MRW)
(dang , sucks, going to the Post Office to pick it up!)

EMI has always been a bunch of hacks. Side 2 of the Magical Mystery Tour LP in electronic stereo, even on the Mobile Fidelity LP and Beatles Box issues. The Beatles Capitol Albums CD box with one album in Stereo twice on the same disc, rather than once in stereo and once in mono. Should I continue with their boneheadedness?

the usa mix cd stuff up of rubber soul and Beatles VI was only on the original pressing run of the box sets (which was a rather large pressing run)..there was a code to look for to spot the difference ..but they would replace it with the correct stereo/mono cd's once they realised the mistake...and the following pressing runs of the box sets were correct....the way to check audibly is that the USA version of "I'm looking through you" has the false start in stereo but not in mono
or Disc 2 = 56:16 (disc with incorrect mono mix is 56:01)
Disc 4 = 59:08 (disc with incorrect mono mix is 59:01)

The MFSL cassette tape of magical M Tour is in true stereo on side 2...yes they stuffed up when they did the separate capitol mfsl Lp issue as they got the tape from capitol, but they had the right tape for the box set. and cassette tape..it's just that MFSL used the wrong tape on the box set..and the right one for the cassette..

Back