HiRez Poll Lynyrd Skynyrd - SOUTHERN SURROUNDINGS [DVD-AUDIO/BLU-RAY AUDIO]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Lynyrd Skynyrd - SOUTHERN SURROUNDINGS

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
No more griping about the lack of Sweet Home Alabama, it's on the CD (stereo) and DVD (mono) anyway. That track although great has been overplayed over the years and they didn't have to trash Neil Young, I love his "Southern Man". I had almost forgotten about the other great stuff Lynyrd Skynyrd did, focus on that people! A couple tracks were only so so surround but the rest were great. A real bargain. Hopefully it sells so well that more similar releases will be forthcoming.

Neil Young in an interview said that he actually liked Sweet Home Alabama, that he was friends with some of the Skynyrds, and that the whole "feud" was very tongue-in-cheek on both sides.

Several years ago I was on a flight from Jacksonville, Florida (I can't remember the destination, but likely heading north towards home). One of the Skynyrds (I don't know which one, but I remember his hat) was a few rows ahead of me ... yes, in the Economy section. I didn't notice him until a crowd started to gather to ask him for autographs and photos, and I overheard them say who he was. What impressed me was the fact that he genuinely seemed humbled by the attention. He was polite and gracious, and he did his best to accomodate everyone. I wish I knew which Skynyrd he was, because he seemed like a real nice guy.

Gave it an 8.
Musically it's a blast, mix-wise adequate - but the sound is not crisp, hence the 8.

The remastered CD of 'Pronounced' sounds much clearer, how come the DVD-A isn't as clear...

Well done. The raunchy rockin' tunes are the real treat here. The guitars are mixed perfectly and sound very solid. I never had any LS albums before but I can get into this for sure. Really impressed with the vocals too. Can't really agree with some of the other comments about the clarity - sounds real clear to me. This is a type of music that was missing from my collection. Mix-wise ES keeps the emphasis on the fronts but there is enough going on in the rears to make it work. No complaints at all. It sounds right. From time-to-time he brings the rears into full force for a total surround immersion. He still crafts his skill like a master.

So you got to hear two great Florida bands at that concert. What did you think of The Outlaws? Them and Molly Hatchet used to make the club circuit in Florida, where I saw them many times. Back in the day I spoke with the guys in The Outlaws and Molly Hatchet quite a bit (I worked in a night club) , but sad to say I never got to meet the guys in Skynyrd, who were already making records. Supposedly Ronnie Van Zant was quite a colorful character who literally did everything he could to get the band started and going, from "borrowing" equipment to downright intimidation. I heard many tales of Ronnie over the years. He always sounds like someone I would like if I had known him.
The plane crash was a sad day for Skynyrd fans.

Well, from what I can remember is that "The Outlaws" were a real good, solid, talented rock group with interesting guitar licks. They already had a few hits by 1977 on AM radio here. They had good songs. If I recall correctly, they playred "Green Grass & High Tides" and "There Goes Another Love Song." A few years later, I know I saw "38 Special" in 1981. I'm not sure if I saw this concert with Molly:

Day On The Green #2: Journey, Cheap Trick, Black Sabbath, Molly Hatchet, Shakin' Street (July 27, 1980)

I know I saw this show a month before: Day On The Green #1: Sammy Hagar, Blue Öyster Cult, REO Speedwagon, Triumph, Randy Hansen (July 4, 1980).

Randy Hansen had dressed up as Jimi Hendrix and did a whole set of his music as a tribute to Jimi and his music. It was rather odd, but supposedly Jimi's father was very touched by it, if I'm recalling 30 odd years ago right. The music was solidly spot on. But nothing can replace Jimi Hendrix. One of the best rock guitar players of all time, because he was completely authentic. Blue Öyster Cult never disappointed. Saw them a million times.

Great package. I am not sure how popular they were in The Netherlands during the 70's, as I am only born in 1976. Some of the songs are familiar, like Free Bird and That Smell. Nice mix from Mr. Scheiner.

And thanks to this great forum, John Svensson in this case, I was able to get a copy at a reasonable price. (y)

just ordered this from walmart.com. It says 2 discs in the description but the disc 2 listing shows the videos and the DVD-A mixes so I assume a mistake.

One last thing, has any else had problems with the first note of each song being cut off just a little. I notice that when I play through my hdmi cable and have it decoded by the receiver, that's what happens. But when I play it via my analog outs (an OPPO bd player) it plays fine. I figure its my receiver, but think it's odd that the disc was authored in a way that causes it. Can't think of another one that does it. But there is a long gap between each song and I think it loses it's sync.

Anyway, a great release! Hoping for more surprises to come.

K

Unfortunately it sounds like you have a receiver with a digital delay. My Harman Kardon AVR354 has this and no matter what is done in the authoring, you can't avoid this. It's a receiver glitch where Harman thought it would be better when there is no audio to turn off/delay the sound so you get a perfectly quiet experience but when noise comes back in it takes a second for the processor to work. You won't have this problem with concert videos because there's always some kind of noise coming through but with discs like this where a song ends and starts with a couple of secs of air between them you simply can't author this to work any other way. Absolutely uncool IMHO and like a step backwards in receiver technology, especially for music as every note is important, maybe not so much for movies. I've even spoken to Harman reps at length to voice my annoyed opinion and they are pretty much, take it or leave it.

Unfortunately it sounds like you have a receiver with a digital delay. My Harman Kardon AVR354 has this and no matter what is done in the authoring, you can't avoid this. It's a receiver glitch where Harman thought it would be better when there is no audio to turn off/delay the sound so you get a perfectly quiet experience but when noise comes back in it takes a second for the processor to work. You won't have this problem with concert videos because there's always some kind of noise coming through but with discs like this where a song ends and starts with a couple of secs of air between them you simply can't author this to work any other way. Absolutely uncool IMHO and like a step backwards in receiver technology, especially for music as every note is important, maybe not so much for movies. I've even spoken to Harman reps at length to voice my annoyed opinion and they are pretty much, take it or leave it.

Have need to offer my 2 cents, HK is the most over rated-under/over-priced avr's made today. I suppose it's a status symbol thing or something. I could never figure out why you would want to buy into it. Maybe in the early 70's, but now everyone has jumped on the avr wagon, better, cheaper and more available.

Hello. I experienced the same problem. OPPO BDP-83 with my DENON AVR. Thankfully only on a few songs. Whether it's the "handshake" between the HDMI and the AVR or the authoring, what's the fix? Nothing? Aggravating, hell yes, but I just go with the flow. Thanks.

The issue I believe is the chipset in the Oppo BDP-83, and you still get the start of tracks "clipped" even when you don't use HDMI. The 93 doesn't have this "issue". It is noticeable when DVD-As are authored in a way that you don't have "gapless playback" between tracks, and the music starts right at the start of the track. You can notice this on several DVD-As, most old, (Foreigner, ELP), but even some newer discs like this one... :(

If you know how, you can rip the audio and re-author it. I've made a blu-ray which I play from a USB on my Oppo BDP-83SE (which has the same chipset).

The issue I believe is the chipset in the Oppo BDP-83, and you still get the start of tracks "clipped" even when you don't use HDMI. The 93 doesn't have this "issue". It is noticeable when DVD-As are authored in a way that you don't have "gapless playback" between tracks, and the music starts right at the start of the track. You can notice this on several DVD-As, most old, (Foreigner, ELP), but even some newer discs like this one... :(

If you know how, you can rip the audio and re-author it. I've made a blu-ray which I play from a USB on my Oppo BDP-83SE (which has the same chipset).

this is one problem area SACDs never seem to suffer from, no matter whether I go via HDMI or analogue/MultiCh In and no matter what player/AVR combo I use.. SACDs (like GYBR) always playback seamlessly, unlike their DVD-A counterparts.. which is a shame as I prefer the sound on the Universal DVD-A's to their SACD incarnations (things like SD's "Gaucho", "GYBR", Marvin Gaye Collection) where I have both Hi-Res surround formats of the same album.

Let me preface this by saying that 'Skynyrd Street Survivors is my all-time favorite album, so on an emotional level this is an 11. It's GREAT that Wal-Mart made this available and I've really enjoyed having the 5.1 surround. The quality of sound, however is just above average in my opinion, a 7. The Master Sound gold cd's sound better as far as clarity, warmth, detail...but they obviously are only stereo so the point may be moot for this forum. Bottom line: BUY IT, ENJOY IT, LOVE IT in surround as I did/do! Also note that Pronounced, Second Helping, and Nuthin' Fancy are being released on stereo hybrid SACD by Audio Fidelity...be interesting to hear these, even if only two channel.

Finally picked up this disc at a local record store today in TN, and I must say I've really enjoyed this disc. The mix and overall sonic quality ranks up there with many of the best ES mixes out there.
I never was a big fan of Lynyrd Skynyrd growing up, hearing so many of there songs played by cover bands at local parties all around southern Louisiana. It just always seemed that their music had that southern stigma to it, but this disc has really opened my ears to how well recorded and produced these albums were.
If you're not a Skynyrd fan (like I wasn't), give this disc a shot, and you might just change your mind! :)
(Voted a '9')

....Also note that Pronounced, Second Helping, and Nuthin' Fancy are being released on stereo hybrid SACD by Audio Fidelity...be interesting to hear these, even if only two channel.
One is out already. I think I'll wait until all 3 are out then I'll buy 'em all at the same time. In the meantime the $12 Walmart disk will do. These are still in stock locally.

I doubt that even 5.1 would convince someone of Skynyrd's quality but, as a sampler, imperfect but pretty good. A fair introduction for anyone unfamiliar with the band (hard as that is to imagine) and the mixes are excellent, the price right...get it while ya can!

ED :)

I'd have given it a 9 if they'd been able to locate the multitracks for Sweet Home Alabama.. a 10 if the mix had been a little more adventurous.. ES has done better over the years with surround mixing but its still great and fidelity is exceptional, these were clearly brilliantly produced & engineered recordings back in the day. I gave it an 8 when it first came out and I stand by that, it's solid and an extremely pleasant surprise to get a genuine DVD-Audio with Elliot Scheiner mix at that point in time!

fast forward a bit.. and look at the resurgence in DVD-Audio! long live DVD-Audio! :D

Back