HiRez Poll Rush - 2112 (Five Point One) [DVD-A/BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Rush - 2112 (Five Point One)

• Total voters
The soundquality is really good, but the surround mix is pretty disappointing. And - my player produces a gap between each track, which is rather annoying, particularly with the 2112 Suite. So it's a 7 from me.

Hello. This is a solid 9++++++ for me, no question. I have been in the "Meh" camp, in general, in regards to Chycki's 5.1 Rush mixes. While each have superior aural clarity, for me the mixes were hit and miss. Some songs great, others not. 2112 Five Point One is phenomenal from the opening bell. The sound quality is spectacular, and the 5.1 mix is pretty close to perfect. IMO! I don't know where the naysayers are coming from as far as this 5.1. I feel everything that is presented was given a high level of effort and thought. This is straightforward hard rock, so I didn't expect stuff flying all over the soundfield. The parts where it is discrete, it is very tastefully done, especially the whole of side 2. Can't say much more. Thanks.

Hello. I definitely hear the GTR delays during the intro. IMO. As far as SW doing future Rush 5.1 mixes, Chycki is their man, so be it. While I am definitely in the "Steven Wilson can do no wrong" camp, I don't know what aural miracles he would employ to make the any better. There were only so many tracks available, not the boatload that SW has at his disposal with his recent projects. This is a well thought out 5.1 mix, IMO. Thanks.

Did not buy both versions as I did with Moving Pictures. Played once last night, first take is that it underutilizes surround like the preceding releases. The last 2-3 tracks sound the way they are supposed (active and lovely) to with surround, why no courage with the rest of the album is mystifying.

Nasty track gaps made 2-3 seconds of distraction on just about every track. I'll try again before I vote.

Glad to have these releases but they simply don't measure up. Put on any serious surround mix afterwards and it really shows the difference.

EDIT: Pretty big Rush fan, have nearly all albums and seen live 6-7 times.

Did not buy both versions as I did with Moving Pictures. Played once last night, first take is that it underutilizes surround like the preceding releases. The last 2-3 tracks sound the way they are supposed (active and lovely) to with surround, why no courage with the rest of the album is mystifying.

Nasty track gaps made 2-3 seconds of distraction on just about every track. I'll try again before I vote.
So why didn't you buy both versions? The Blu-ray wouldn't have the gaps. I bought both versions last time but only the Blu-ray this time.

I've listened through twice now, and my thoughts on first listen did not change on second listen, so here they are.

The sonics are fantastic. It just sounds brilliant. Did anyone notice, in "Discovery", after the guitar is in tune and the chords begin, a slight warble as if the source tape were just a tad too old? That's the only flaw I could hear in otherwise perfect sonics, in my opinion.

The mix is interesting to me in that I find it to not be a very good 5.1 mix, but a great mix nonetheless. It certainly, in my opinion, wouldn't convince a newcomer to run out and buy a 5.1 system. There a very few moments of discrete elements in the rear speakers. But again, I think it's a great mix. It fills the room very effectively. It just sounds so much better than stereo to me, even though there aren't sounds flying all around me.

If I could re-mix this, I'd try the approach Steven Wilson took with the ELP discs, and put bass and drums across the fronts, rhythm guitars in the rears, and lead vocals & guitar solos in the center. I'd alter this approach when acoustic guitars are present by putting the acoustic guitars in the rears and electrics in the fronts.

I love the visuals. Many of us have stated a preference for lyrics screens that change automatically, but the addition of the comic strip takes this to a new level. As kap'n krunch mentioned in the DVD-A poll, it's odd that none of the original artwork is present - at least I thought so, until I looked at the photo slide show in the bonus features.

So for me, this is an 8. The sound quality and visuals make this a wonderful audio-visual treat, a whole new 2112 experience, but the surround mix pales in comparison to so many others.

Bass seems a bit in need of assistance, but that's what the subwoofer controls are for. Otherwise my only complaint is the quality of the music, which I never thought was very high, ever since i first heard it in 1976. The night before I'd attended an astonishing Yes concert at Roosevelt Stadium, New Jersey -- which has since become famous in Yes lore. So 2112 seemed like dumbed-down prog rock + dumbed-down Led Zep -- prog with training wheels. Still does. I'll give it a few more listens then vote.

Bass seems a bit in need of assistance, but that's what the subwoofer controls are for. Otherwise my only complaint is the quality of the music, which I never thought was very high, ever since i first heard it in 1976. The night before I'd attended an astonishing Yes concert at Roosevelt Stadium, New Jersey -- which has since become famous in Yes lore. So 2112 seemed like dumbed-down prog rock + dumbed-down Led Zep -- prog with training wheels. Still does. I'll give it a few more listens then vote.

Blasphemy! I hope we don't stoop so low to make disparaging remarks about my two other favorite Canadian bands - April Wine and Triumph.

Blasphemy! I hope we don't stoop so low to make disparaging remarks about my two other favorite Canadian bands - April Wine and Triumph.

Rush music got better on the albums after 2112. I have nothing nice to say about those other two bands...so I won't.

Braodly agree with the sentiments of others another poor 5.1 mix ( though not as bad as Silverline at their worst), maybe slightly edges others in the series, but that could be because i prefer this album to Moving Pictures for instance.
Comic book is a nice touch.
Sound is not to bad, but it seems like the others you really have to play loud to get anything out of the mix. (The polar oposite of Larks tongues which is a great surroud at all sound volumes)

Great reviews so far . . . I'd love to give my 2 cents worth, but my copy locks up on the Hi-Rez portions of the disc . . . anyone else having this issue? I'm sure it's an authoring issue, as I've had this exact same problem with anything Neil (Wilkes) has authored at Opus Productions (i.e. all PT, KC, etc.), and I've talked to Neil about it extensively in the past (a problem with the "guts" of my Yamaha DV-C6770 . . . I know, I know . . . I need to get a "real" player ;) ). The thing is, all the previous Rush DVDA's have played flawlessly. Hrmmmm!?! Anyone have any insight?

My copy arrived at my local Barnes and Noble yesterday but I won't be able to pick it up til Wednesday[darn these holidays].

I am understanding correctly that the DVDA version places a 2 sec gap between each track but the Blu-ray does not?

So why didn't you buy both versions? The Blu-ray wouldn't have the gaps. I bought both versions last time but only the Blu-ray this time.

Because buying both versions didn't really buy me anything. I did it to support the formats. I defaulted to DVD-A to also play in the car, although I could have created one from the BD given time.

thanks for the info. I should be fine with my oppo 95. Some of comments here had be thinking there was some sort of authoring error on the DVDA. For some reason, I prefer DVDA if given the choice and was only going to spring for BR if there was a problem with this title.

thanks for the info. I should be fine with my oppo 95. Some of comments here had be thinking there was some sort of authoring error on the DVDA. For some reason, I prefer DVDA if given the choice and was only going to spring for BR if there was a problem with this title.

That's why I wrote "my player". I have to say, that this is the only disc so far where this happens, though.

I've had two copies of the DVD-Audio version of this album and my Yamaha DVD Universal player won't play it! Very frustrating. I click on Surround Sound and get a screen that says to move left or right for pictures with no music.

Back