Which songs / music, makes you cry ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dixie4

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Don't be embarrassed to say......

For me,

" Yo Yo Ma - Plays Ennio Morricone " SACD ( Several songs )
" Out Of Africa " main theme - John Barry.
" E.T." Soundtrack SACD - John Williams.
" Will You Be There " - Michael Jackson.

To a Child - Laura Nyro (original version on Mother's Spiritual) - Laura Nyro
I took 6 months off when my second child, My Daughter Emily was born. I'd play this and cry with joy. She was named Emily for the Laura Nyro song Emmie from Eli & the Thirteenth Confession and Simon & Garfunkel's For Emily, Wherever I May Find Her, from Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme.

To a Child w/a great video montage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jHcfW_ADvY
51iRe5jF6VL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Emmie w/a great video montage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3_mdy9VfCs
There are two SPECTACULAR unreleased Quad mixes of this album on the Mike Robin reels.nyro-laura-626-l.jpg

For Emily, Wherever I May Find Her (Live): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMhkD0NRLtU
cd-cover.jpg

Another tune that touches me and makes me cry is The Circle Game - Joni Mitchell from Ladies of the Canyon. Her best album, IMHO.
The Circle Game Live (audio) at Carnegie Hall: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5HXT0bn7QY
41qOdrVToqL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

QL, Real men don't cry! We take it and deal with it- or drink it away.'

addendum: Emotions are useless! The Bible says that the heart is treacherous, (figurative heart) Useless and a waste of energy. after all who controls you? common sense (you) or emotions? Look at emotional people, and look at one who uses sense. We all feel sorrow, as in the death of a loved one, but to let music make you feel sad is wrong! It's called stiiting on the pitty pot! I sing to my kid the "poor me" song (all together) Poor Me!! Poor Me!!
sorry my opinion.

Last edited:
Rainbow Connection - Kermit the Frog

The Circle Game - Buffy Sainte Marie version

Ending Titles from Tron Soundtrack - Wendy Carlos

The Rose - Conway Twitty

Last Kiss - J. Frank Wilson

Teddy Bear - Red Sovine

Also gets me. What a finely crafted tear jerker.

"Cat's In The Cradle" Harry Chapin...and I'm not even a big fan of Harry Chapin's music, but the words are so true.

Attachments

• harry.jpg
    harry.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 257
I had tickets for Harry Chapin at Ravinia in Highland Park, IL. Sadly, he died in a car crash on the Longuyland Expressway the week before the concert.

Harry donated the profits to charity for every second concert he played.
View attachment 9714

"Cat's In The Cradle" Harry Chapin...and I'm not even a big fan of Harry Chapin's music, but the words are so true.

QL, Real men don't cry! We take it and deal with it- or drink it away.

Exactly! Except that big boys do cry--they just don't do it in front of anyone. Why do that when you can pull out some great vinyl, crank the volume, and drown your sorrows in a bottle of nice scotch (Johnny Walker black for me--red in a pinch) and lament over your fate in the world, how she's lost that lovin' feelin' and we just can't get it back. Some of my musical crutches:

Sinatra: ONLY THE LONELY and SEPTEMBER OF MY YEARS albums

Bobby Bland's TWO STEPS FROM THE BLUES

Miles: MY FUNNY VALENTINE..or Nico's version, for that matter

Anything by Robert Johnson

Anything sad from Buddy Holly

The quiet, more elegiac passages of Wagner or Morricone--the end titles for ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST really choke me up still

Maria Elena--Los Indios Tabajaras

I Can Never Go Home Anymore & Past, Present & Future--The Shangri-Las

Husbands and Wives and When Two Worlds Collide--Roger Miller

The Blizzard--Jim Reeves: an unusual tragedy ballad, for some reason it has always moved me deeply even though I know it's total BS

Nothing Takes the Place of You--Toussaint McCall

The Dark End of the Street--James Carr (also covered by the lovely lass below)

Long Long Time--Linda Ronstadt

The Weakness in Me--Joan Armatrading--a lost classic from the early '80s, where there's a real dearth of classic anything

Most of Tomita's SLOWFLAKES ARE DANCING

Peter Gabriel & Kate Bush: Don't Give Up

Wildfire--Michael Murphey yeah, I know it sux, can't help myself

The best of John Denver, not least "Back Home Again" which really knows how to pull my chain

If You Could Read My Mind--Gordon Lightfoot Almost been there, done that

Mama Liked the Roses--Elvis (after my mother's passing last year, I'm very afraid to even think about this one)

Most of Johnny Ace's catalog--the master for such things, but most of all the spooky "The Clock," a reminder NEVER TO BRING A GUN INTO THE SAME ROOM AS A BOTTLE OF REALLY GOOD SCOTCH
and records like these...

Verboten:

Crap like:

If You Go Away or Seasons in the Sun--by anybody!

Elvis--Old Shep or In the Ghetto (and several more atrocities I can't stand to list for fear of injuring myself)

Cat's in the Cradle--crybaby music for wimps who should be spending time with their children instead of traveling. Hey, there ARE jobs that allow you time to spend with family & friends. But then Harry was a marginally talented workaholic, so who gives a frig?
Any country cheatin' song without a bad attitude--who cares? Cheat on her, have some fun

Advance Guards--Seals & Crofts from SUMMER BREEZE...absolutely wretched but then, at their worst, so were they

Playground in My Mind--Clint Holmes

Honey and Autumn of My Life--Bobby Goldsboro A good argument for mutual suicide. She's gonna die anyway of some dreaded disease (we presume), might as well make it quick and painless for her, quick for you

ED :)

How about

What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted - Jimmy Ruffin

I don't think any other end-of-romance song sums it up better than that.

I think just about everyone has went through what that song describes.

For some reason John Denvers Back Home Again is so evocative that it gets to me everytime. Most of his stuff seems kind of contrived but this one felt real. As for others I love these are a bit more obscure:

The Cloud Factory by June Tabor as well as her version of Lilli Marlene. What a marvelous voice.
Kilkenny by Mick Malony, Jimmy Keane and Robbie O'Connell
A Good Man by Kim Stockwood from Newfoundland
Colour him Father by Linda Martell

I just realized that most of these are odes to good fathers, I aspire (and fail everyday) to be one so maybe thats why they get to me. Any of these could be played at my funeral and I'd feel honoured.

Heres a link to The Cloud Factory. So beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMYYkDJDUYI

ken

Ah, Ken, you reminded me.

The Living Years - Mike + The Mechanics

Just remembered four more. Guess I'm in a mellow mood today

Keep Me From Blowing Away: Linda Ronstadt from Heart Like a wheel. Her best and most profound song IMO.
Someone Like You: Emmylou Harris. My wedding song, to reveal a bit too much about me.
My Life: Iris Dement Again pretty personal.

Heart of the Heartland by Peter Ostroshko from A Praire Home Companion. It always reminds me of driving though the Prairies after harvest, seeing the land empty and wondering about the lives of the people in those lonely houses.

Heres a link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgJn2F6lMcM

ken

Now that you mention Iris Dement...yes, that's pretty stark, dark stuff, cuts right to the heart of the matters. "My Life" was the kind of country single that scared country radio away, listeners following, because unlike a piece of crap like "Honey" it was REAL--no messing around with this woman. John Denver could be like that, too, and I think that bothered folks seduced by "Take Me Home, Country Roads" and "Thank God I'm (not) a Country Boy." Denver may have seemed slightly silly, addled and stoned, but underneath, like Roger Miller, he harbored some serious, depressive demons. So do a lot of guys who smile too much, me suspects.

Ah, Ken, you reminded me.

The Living Years - Mike + The Mechanics

Also, along the lines of "songs about your father": "Everything I Own" by Bread

And a couple more contributions, not necessarily about your father:

"Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime" by Korgis

"Where've You've Been" by Kathy Matea

How about songs that make the artist cry!

From 2008, Peter Hammill at a show in Israel. He'd just made a comment regarding his youngest daughter becoming a legal adult and that he was now no longer "biologically required" or something like that. He decided to play the song "Sleep Now" which is basically a lullaby he released back in '86 and then had a somewhat emotional reaction when done:

pHinIsrael.jpg

Years ago when I watched the DVD of "Hannibal," I was glad that I was alone, because the aria from the "fake" opera just had me in tears. And when it played a second time during the credits, I started up again.

I haven't listened to this piece since then, but I just pulled up a YouTube video of the piece and darn if I didn't have to turn it off half way through. I have no idea what repressed memory this piece taps into, but listening to it makes me feel like someone close to me died.

http://youtu.be/VH5iZsLRKYs

J. D.

Totally agree. Husbands and Wives is a million miles away from You Can't Roller skate in a Buffalo Herd.

That it is...and one song that gets me up and happy is "My Uncle Used to Love Me But She Died" some kind of silly summit (see other thread I started on this topic). "England Swings" does the same thing: get up and be happy! Miller's wordplay during his peak years is still a wonder to behold, so clever and quickwitted it is.

And although I don't think I've ever wanted to get ripped after hearing it, Clarence Carter's "Patches" is certainly a down-on-your-luck tale that does make ya kind of bleary-eyed, although when it comes to hard luck stories I think more 'For the Grace of God go I" than feel an urge to feel their pain. Similarly, "Midnight Train to Georgia" is of more interest because of Gladys Knight than of her ne'er do well loser boyfriend turning tail and going back home to stew. Hey, if ya can't make it in L.A....try Chicago, or New York, or....

Speaking of pain, Lonnie Mack's "Why" from THE MAN OF THAT MEMPHIS MAN (1963) may be the most impassioned, blood-curdling vocal performance by a white guy I've ever heard that actually sounds convincing (unlike, say, the Johnnie Ray kind).

Peter Gabriel -"Here Comes the flood" (piano only version from 16 Golden Greats). Every time.

Also now added - Steven Wilson- The Raven That Refused To Sing (had a rather embarrassing effect on me at Monday night's gig!)

Back