HiRez Poll Kompendium - BENEATH THE WAVES [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Kompendium - BENEATH THE WAVES

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2012 DVD-Audio release. (n):phones(y)

KopendiumDVDA.jpg
KopendiumDVDA back.jpg

If you are wondering what the hell this one is have a look at the videos on the Kompendium site:
http://www.kompendium-web.com/

I'd classify the sound as Celtic Symphonic Prog.... perhaps not everyone's taste - but there is an impressive line-up of artists on this.

• Steve Hackett
  • Nick Beggs - check out the clip of him playing stick
  • Mel Collins
  • Jakko
  • BJ Cole and many more...

oh yeah and (nearly forgot) Gavin Harrison!!!

Rob Reed (of Magenta) has done a great job putting together the album. I love the orchestral parts....and the 5.1 mix in hi-rez 96/24 sounds great.

The packaging is quite unique - it's a cardboard gatefold with cardboard inserts - but its bigger than a normal CD gatefold - see below:
attachment.php

At first I thought what the hell is this, but now I quite like it...

I'll vote after a few more listens, but this has been on high rotation! I recommend it.

P.S. One thing to note - there is no hi-rez stereo on the disc. - just MLP, DTS & DD 5.1

Jon- just noticed - its Kompendium - you missed the first "M" in the title...

At first listen I would encourage everyone who liked The Alan Parsons Project to give this a try.

P.S. One thing to note - there is no hi-rez stereo on the disc. - just MLP, DTS & DD 5.1

True - although there is a downmix set to RPGA recommendations on the MLP stream to prevent calamity.
This was a deliberate decision as the DVD is for the surround mixes only, and is actually marked "Bonus Material" on the disc. This is because there was never a high resolution stereo mix done and stereo exists solely on the CD.
BUt we don't care about that, do we - this is QQ, not SH. :D

True - although there is a downmix set to RPGA recommendations on the MLP stream to prevent calamity.
This was a deliberate decision as the DVD is for the surround mixes only, and is actually marked "Bonus Material" on the disc. This is because there was never a high resolution stereo mix done and stereo exists solely on the CD.
BUt we don't care about that, do we - this is QQ, not SH. :D

True - us surround nuts don't care... :eek:

But - I do believe that these would appeal to a wider market if they had a true hi-rez stereo. Just my view...

Finally got round to listening to this it arrived about two weeks ago, and has just sat sealed on a shelf since.
First impressions are its great nice surround mix and great music

I've only listened to it in 5.1 once, but my initial impression is a good one.

The packaging is quite nice. An odd size, that makes it hard to fit on a normal CD shelf, but that was done on purpose to make the artwork and lyrics more readable like the good ol' days of vinyl. I like it.

The music is very interesting, and it is VERY well recorded. You can tell that a great deal of effort, care, and love was put into the making of this album. Very impressive. It will take me many more listens to fully grasp everything is going on, but so far I am really enjoying it.

The 5.1 mix is excellent. The surround channels are very well used. Lots of instruments placed directly in the rears. There were a couple times when I felt the vocals were just a hair low in the mix in the center channel, but raising the level by only a 1/2 db helped. I am nitpicking here... the overall mix is excellent.

If you still on the fence about this album, don't let fears about the mix or sound quality turn you away. Both the mix and the recording quality are top notch. Listen to the samples on the website, and if you like the music at all, make the purchase.

I am going to listen a few more times before voting, but it will be 9 or 10 from me. Well done!

This is a well executed project. Recording, mix, performances - all top notch. I can't quite warm up to it musically/lyrically - the subject matter is a bit grim and the music a bit overwrought at times. I do appreciate the efforts of everyone involved and can see/hear the passion and committment involved. While I understand the concept of a larger size digibook to better represent the artwork and lyrics - it is nonetheless a square peg in my collection - one more odd shape to contend with. I would give it a seven for the content and a 9 for execution - 8 overall. Ullean pipes and the occassional operatic voice just ain't my bag.

Really like this one. I've listened to it straight through about 6 times now. I think the reason I find it so appealing is that I don't have any surround music like this - symphonic, celtic rock. This definitely adds a new genre to my surround collection. The vocals and the music all work together in a way that, for me, makes a great listen. Well recorded - the mix and fidelity are excellent.

For info this album recently won "best album of 2012" in the UK Classic Rock Society polls. Well done Rob - it's a very, very classy peice of music.

I've not rated this yet; I will after my next listen of it, but expect it will get at least an 8 (I have played the 5.1 3 or 4 times to date.)

Just completed another play of this (have listened to the stereo CD maybe 8 times and the surround sound about 5) and rate it as a solid 9. Rob Reed (the music genius behind Magenta and Chimpan A) had this as a sectret "pet project" for a couple of years and has put an awful lot of care and attention to detail into the writing, arrangement, recording (much of it done at Peter Gabriel's Real World Studio) production and mixing.

imho Rob is a bit of an un-sung hero in surround sound; his mixes of parts of the Magenta catalogue are superb and this is easily as good as them. Solid, clear, thoughtfully and tastefully mixed with not a hint of over-compression. Spatial positioning and separation of parts is near perfect. The unusual material - he describes it as Celtic - mixes rock instruments with choirs, both male and female vocals and some operatic vocals. Very powerful, dynamic and a real joy to listen to.

I really hope Rob continues to use the format. He's another SW in the making in my opinion.

Its an incredible album, both musically and production wise, I keep playing it. The 5.1 mix just enhances the album. When do we see another Kompendium (or Magenta) album (in hi-def 5.1)?

There's a new Magenta album out later this year - Christina just finished recording the vocals for it last week - but I haven't heard if there will be a 5.1 version of it yet. If I were to combine speculation with wishful thinking I would state that Rob's told me that it will be more proggy than the last and that he's always said 5.1 works well for prog so fingers crossed!

Just completed another play of this (have listened to the stereo CD maybe 8 times and the surround sound about 5) and rate it as a solid 9. Rob Reed (the music genius behind Magenta and Chimpan A) had this as a sectret "pet project" for a couple of years and has put an awful lot of care and attention to detail into the writing, arrangement, recording (much of it done at Peter Gabriel's Real World Studio) production and mixing.

imho Rob is a bit of an un-sung hero in surround sound; his mixes of parts of the Magenta catalogue are superb and this is easily as good as them. Solid, clear, thoughtfully and tastefully mixed with not a hint of over-compression. Spatial positioning and separation of parts is near perfect. The unusual material - he describes it as Celtic - mixes rock instruments with choirs, both male and female vocals and some operatic vocals. Very powerful, dynamic and a real joy to listen to.

I really hope Rob continues to use the format. He's another SW in the making in my opinion.

Agreed, Rob Reed's mix of this album is superb, as are hs Magenta mixes. Hopefully those will get a dvd-a re release to fully appreciate the music and mix.

I totally agree with you. We should figure out how to encourage Mr Reed to release his previous and forthcoming Magenta mixes in hi-res, at least via digital download.

Bought and received this DVD-A the other day, having seen it mentioned on this forum. I've never heard Magenta's music so this is new stuff to me. Well I am totally blown away - the music is grand and majestic on every scale - think War of the Worlds meets Riverdance meets Enigma meets Yes (sorry for my simplistic comparisons). A big thumbs up for the surround mix - Neil Wilkes you did a cracking job (I see you listed on the credits for the mastering), one of my new favourites, and I have about 200 SACD and DVD-As. Only heard it twice, but instantly love it. Top stuff, highly recommend it.

Edit: Actually the 'Yes' comparison isn't quite right, but there is some prog element to it in places, and you could probably add a comparison to Mike Oldfield, Phantom of the Opera and even a touch of Mozart's Requiem! The point being that it certainly is an eclectic mix of styles!

Last edited:
Bought and received this DVD-A the other day, having seen it mentioned on this forum. I've never heard Magenta's music so this is new stuff to me. Well I am totally blown away - the music is grand and majestic on every scale - think War of the Worlds meets Riverdance meets Enigma meets Yes (sorry for my simplistic comparisons). A big thumbs up for the surround mix - Neil Wilkes you did a cracking job (I see you listed on the credits for the mastering), one of my new favourites, and I have about 200 SACD and DVD-As. Only heard it twice, but instantly love it. Top stuff, highly recommend it.

Edit: Actually the 'Yes' comparison isn't quite right, but there is some prog element to it in places, and you could probably add a comparison to Mike Oldfield, Phantom of the Opera and even a touch of Mozart's Requiem! The point being that it certainly is an eclectic mix of styles!

Just giving this another play (first in a while) prompted by your review. It really is a classy release. Rob Reed is a musical genius and imho deserves the kind of recognition normally reserved for Steven Wilson. His writing is beautifully structured and detailed, well thought out and executed and his surround mixing skills are (again imho) easily up there with SWs. He's a big fan of Yes btw so your pre-edit comment is probably more accurate than you realised!

Back