ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny how when ELP played BSS live, the surround system they used had the same "gimmicky" sounds flying around as is on their surround release.... so I guess Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon was "gimicky" on their surround releases as I don't EVER recall sound flying around when I saw them play it LIVE.
There's an inherent difference between live quad sound and studio releases in quad, a point I made earlier. And if you don't remember the sound flying around during Floyd shows then your memory is bad. Your horse is dead, give it a rest.

There's an inherent difference between live quad sound and studio releases in quad, a point I made earlier. And if you don't remember the sound flying around during Floyd shows then your memory is bad. Your horse is dead, give it a rest.

I get it now. You never attended an ELP BSS show when they were using their surround sound system.

I get it now. You never attended an ELP BSS show when they were using their surround sound system.
No. I'm afraid that you don't get it. And I'm done trying to explain the same thing over and over to someone so obstinate that they can't understand anyone's opinion other than their own whether they agree with it or not.

Ive Been a member here for a few years now and really only post when i feel i have something to add. for the most part everyone here is very kind in sharing there comments as we all have a right to have out own opinions, and thats what they are opinions ! for a while now it seems that more and more members going at it over opinions. I dont agree with everyones opinions but thats what i take them as. I am very thankfull for all the 5.1 releases in the past years and yes some are not what they should be but if we were all given a chance to mix one we would have a few hundred mixes ALL DIFFERENT ! and now we move into an area where we assume Mr Wilson had no love for the ELP projects? None of us have any idea what he has to work with as far as the original recording multitracks ! as a musician ive recorded in the studio several times and have seen some pretty strange corners cut! Iv'e learned much here and i just dont want to see things go down the crapper.

Brain Salad Surgery is very much over the top and the DVD-A mix complemented that very
nicely. Their other albums are relatively subdued by comparison.

You might as well compare The Yes Album with Relayer.

Brain Salad Surgery is very much over the top and the DVD-A mix complemented that very
nicely. Their other albums are relatively subdued by comparison.
I never really looked at it that way but I see your point. To me most ELP is over the top which kind of defines the group. But in regards to the surround mix I guess it just boils down to a matter of taste. I can see where some would feel that since BSS is so overblown that it deserves a more "gimmicky" surround mix. I prefer a more balanced, immersive sound but perhaps that's a big challenge with mixing this group in surround which features just 3 instruments.

I guess I'll throw some gas on the fire.... I AM RIGHT ON WITH QUAD LINDA'S Comments ----I love the old school stereo lps. Old school Gimmicks. These were amazing headphone lps with my Beyer-dynamics, or my roommates Koss cups. Revolver ,Rubber Soul, Super Session, BS&T (1) CHFTTM, LedZep 2, Doors, DSOTM (very Gimmicky), Electric Moo (several Species VERY VERY VERY GIMMICKY), any ELP, DOORS, Edgar Winter Frankenstein, Moody Blues TOCCC & DOFP, The WHO Tommy & Quadraphenia, Jean Michel Jarre Le Concerts en China, Yellow -one Second,Aphrodite's Child- 666, Vangelis-Heaven and Hell& Bladerunner, Buffalo Springfield- Retrospective, Blind Faith -ST, JIMI Electric Ladyland, CSN , CSN&Y - if ELP is "gimmicky" then all of these are the same descent. I Love GIMMICKY I hate turgid poo - go mix in mono if you want that junk, The GREAT THING about ELP was that what I heard in concert in the heady days of 73 IS what I Heard on the 2001 surround Mix, That mix is perfect - it's like hearing the concert all over again. SOME PEOPLE DON'T like riding roller coasters- and that is what BSS is- it's a nerve shattering roller coaster ride- if you don't like it it's OK. Gimmicky? No. It is as the Group played it.
There is a fad of opinion, reactionary in fact, that a more "restrained" approach is better than sonic fireworks going off aLL around your head like the first releases of DVD-A in 2001. The same thing happened to stereo albums. When 8 tracks were replaced by 16 replaced by 32 replaces by 64 etc etc etc. Producers replaced musicians who lost the 5 CHANNEL'S OF MUSIC in the other 59 tracks the producers filled with horns and background singers (yeah I hate that part in DSOTM) music in Well I say GOD BLESS them esp in ELP's case. I Hope Trilogy is a Free or all esp during the synth solos in the SONG TRILOGY. I understand ELP's music can be trying for alot of people. Do you remember "AMADEUS" when the King told Mozart that there were :"too many notes", the same principle applies to ELP many critics (now dead) HATED ELP for "pretentiousness". They just could not follow the notes. There are 9 movements in KarnEvil9 1st impression alone (that's an album for most artists back then). Those critics are DEAD and ELP's music is still being refreshed and performed. Emerson is in Japan for an orchestral Tarkus performance and then IN Sept his Piano Concerto will be played Lexington KY and he will receive some sort of award.
So I like gimmicks.s - I'm falling asleep sorry...

I guess I'll throw some gas on the fire....The GREAT THING about ELP was that what I heard in concert in the heady days of 73 IS what I Heard on the 2001 surround Mix, That mix is perfect - it's like hearing the concert all over again.

Someone was there besides me? If that is how they played BSS live, doesn't make any sense to duplicate it on the surround release...yup...too "gimmicky" I tell ya...

Someone was there besides me? If that is how they played BSS live, doesn't make any sense to duplicate it on the surround release...yup...too "gimmicky" I tell ya...
We know you were there, and that you recorded the shows. No need to repeat that over and over again. Did it ever occur to you that there are also younger people that enjoy these mixes, by SW or Jakko? And that not seeing ELP live, does not change one bit about it.

If these albums were not released in surround, I probably would have never listened to them.

Everyone knock it off. We all know tarkusnj hates the SW ELP DVD-A's. The majority of the forum, as reflected in the polls, thinks otherwise.

He is not going to convince us, and we're not going to convince him.

So KNOCK IT OFF!!! :howl

(please) :)

HOW OLD ARE WE?

Again, tarkusnj, we know what you think. Please stop reminding us, for the sake of my sanity.

Reactions: GOS
Resorting to nasty sarcasm is typical of your attitude and disrespectful posts.
And I know you have a few of my Pink Floyd recordings from the 70's. Any Wall bootleg from 1979 was recorded in stereo...mine was not as I utilized 3 Nak mics and mixed the recording on the fly. You must know that my PF boots are highly regarded. Everyone grabs up these bootlegs that the bootleggers have been siitting on for years before the internet made it possible to share them so freely.
So please don't ridicule my opinion of surround mixes as I tried my best YEARS ago to capture these shows to the best of my ability given the limitation of the equipment at the time and the challenge of smuggling this bulky setup into a show. If any of you did not do this back in the 70's, all I can tell you is that is was half of the fun!
And as far as Jon's "for the sake of my sanity", I am stating my opinions for which I am being criticized and given no respect for what I have accomplished while most of my detractors have NEVER done what I have done.

And I know you have a few of my Pink Floyd recordings from the 70's. Any Wall bootleg from 1979 was recorded in stereo...mine was not as I utilized 3 Nak mics and mixed the recording on the fly.
Don't give a shit...

You must know that my PF boots are highly regarded. Everyone grabs up these bootlegs that the bootleggers have been siitting on for years before the internet made it possible to share them so freely.
So please don't ridicule my opinion of surround mixes as I tried my best YEARS ago to capture these shows to the best of my ability given the limitation of the equipment at the time and the challenge of smuggling this bulky setup into a show. If any of you did not do this back in the 70's, all I can tell you is that is was half of the fun!
Whoop de frickin' doo!!

And as far as Jon's "for the sake of my sanity", I am stating my opinions for which I am being criticized and given no respect for what I have accomplished while most of my detractors have NEVER done what I have done.
Your detractors??? Who the F*CK do you think you are?? I have kept opinions to myself but have been watching this thread. I personally couldn't care less about the shows you have recorded, the gear you used or how highly regarded your tapes are. What I do care about is the lack of respect you seem to have for anybody's opinion other than yours. It is no wonder that people continue to give you a hard time with the nasty, sarcastic and condescending tone of your reply posts. We ALL get it! No one's opinion matters but yours when it comes to surround mixes whether in concert or on disc. Personally I'm sick of it.

Don't give a shit...

Whoop de frickin' doo!!
. It is no wonder that people continue to give you a hard time with the nasty, sarcastic and condescending tone of your reply posts. We ALL get it! No one's opinion matters but yours when it comes to surround mixes whether in concert or on disc. Personally I'm sick of it.
I have a remedy for your sickness also if you would be interested. As for my sickness, there is no cure and I have to live with it.

I have a remedy for your sickness also if you would be interested. As for my sickness, there is no cure and I have to live with it.

i-cant-fap-to-this.jpg

And I know you have a few of my Pink Floyd recordings from the 70's. Any Wall bootleg from 1979 was recorded in stereo...mine was not as I utilized 3 Nak mics and mixed the recording on the fly. You must know that my PF boots are highly regarded. Everyone grabs up these bootlegs that the bootleggers have been siitting on for years before the internet made it possible to share them so freely.
So you KNOW that do you? Your ego is as large as you are disrespectful. Are you Barry Glassburg? He recorded the BEST live Wall show and the ONLY one I listen to. And FYI The Wall was not performed in 1979. So if you're Barry then thanks for the recording. If not, then I don't have any of your boots and don't give a shit about what you recorded or the equipment you used.

Bob Romano, thank you for your post.

To JonUrban, the reason I'm perpetuating this irritating conversation is because it is now extending well beyond SW's 5.1 ELP mixes and, being the Floyd fan that I am, feel the need to be defensive. How many warnings does one get before the trap door is released anyway?

Look. You have made your point. Over and over and over and over.

Contratulations on admitting to being a bootlegger and distributer of pirated material. For that I give you credit.

For having the brains to know when to stop your relentless badgering of the membership here, you get no credit. I have gotten a multitude of PMs to have you removed from this forum and I have resisted because I believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion.

However, everyone is not entitled to constantly cram that opinion up everyones asses time and time again.

Drop the rant or depart. The choice is yours. We know where you're coming from. You dislike the SW mixes, you are glad the next issues will not be mixed by SW, and you are the greatest ELP expert in the world. There, you don't have to say it anymore.

STOP

Off Topic- what would you give as a gift to a fellow Quad Forum pal who did a great favor for you and I suspect is some one who has everything all ready? Stack of Blurays? Stack of DVD-Rs Brand?

Back