DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick (Corrected Reissue) [DTS/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Jethro Tull - THICK AS A BRICK [Corrected Issue]

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this DVD release containing a DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround mix.

THIS POLL IS FOR THE CORRECTED DISC ONLY. PLEASE BE SURE THAT YOU HAVE THE CORRECTED/REPLACEMENT DISC BEFORE YOU VOTE.

It is very important that the corrected disc results are not impacted by the defective first issue discs

Thanks

ORIGINAL

REISSUE

Last edited:
thank you for creating this new Poll Jon.

is there any quick/easy way to identify the corrected disc?

(only I haven't got round to replacing my flawed one yet.)

is there any quick/easy way to identify the corrected disc?

Quick easy way - on the right side of the disc there is some text "DVD SIDE, NTSC, Aspect Ratio 16:9 etc etc." On the corrected disc there is a small thin black line under the text. That line is not on the defective disc.

HATE these shabbily authored discs in which you can't change streams once it's playing (WHY DO THEY DO IT, IS IT SO DIFFICULT????):mad::mad:(n)

OK, here's a guide for those of you who don't want to turn on the TV or whatever to play it on DTS

Menu:

(the defaut is: )PLAY ALL (press arrow right to) SIDE ONE (arrow right to) SIDE TWO (arrow right to) AUDIO (press enter),

then the first choice is the NEW STEREO (default), so press arrow DOWN to the ORIGINAL STEREO mix, so press arrow DOWN to DTS MCH (AT LAST!!!),

then press enter to choose the DTS,

AND THEN press ENTER to PLAY ALL....

HATE these shabbily authored discs in which you can't change streams once it's playing (WHY DO THEY DO IT, IS IT SO DIFFICULT????):mad::mad:(n)

I know, right! Why can't they be like most of the dvd-a's I have and just autoplay right to the 5.1 mix? or at the very least, what you said.

Even worse, I have a number of BR's w/ no menu, which just go right to the movie, but they choose the lossy track as the default, when pretty much every BR player would just use the lossy core if the receiver it's hooked up to can't handle the lossless. So, unless you check, you could listen to the inferior soundtrack; if you do check, you have to pause the movie and then choose the lossless track.

The DTS 5.1 mix = totally killer and a full 10 from me

The New 2.0 Stereo mix = [redacted] The vocal sounds terrible!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I compared these today and didn't hear anything bad. Can you articulate why you find it to be this way?

I just find that the sound of the vocals is very harsh and there seems to be some reverb on the drums. Did you compare the original flat mix to the new stereo?

Yes I did. The new mix is bright and crisp. The familiar original sounded like a cassette to me. There could be a modern reverb on the drums it didn't stick out to me.

A classic album and an excellent mix by SW, not quite perfection in my book but a very very solid 9. So glad that this one was created for those of us who consider ourselves surround music fans. More! More!

Mark Z

Sorely tempted to knock it to an 8 for lack of Hi-rez, but honestly it sounds so good I am not sure I could hear the difference. So, I gave it a 9. If I were British I would say it is lovely, or maybe just bloody good!

Sorely tempted to knock it to an 8 for lack of Hi-rez, but honestly it sounds so good I am not sure I could hear the difference. So, I gave it a 9. If I were British I would say it is lovely, or maybe just bloody good!

".. right.. quite right.. you're bloody well right, you've got a bloody right to say.." :D (y)

So glad Steven stepped in to have the issue with the first release of this DVD resolved. So, here it is, the surround version of Thick as a Brick. It's a good mix, musically it is what it is, a 70's prog-rock classic.

May be a repeat question, but can someone tell me a reliable source for purchasing the corrected reissue version of the release...I wanted to order from amazon, but I am not certain that I can trust them not to make an error. Thanks :)

Back